Engine didn't stop running

Ivan Fuentes Hagar

Reaction score
Hi! It's been a while, not much to report on my S3 except this... when I got home last night, I turned the key and the engine didn't turn off. Everything else did... dash, radio, even the "lights on when car off" alarm beeped, so the car actually thought it was off, but the engine was running.

After a few tries, it finally turned off on its own, a few secs after everything else.

I still have a couple hours before I can hop on the car again and pay attention, but anyone has any ideas about what could be going on so I can start checking?

ign switch, engine control relay.............

ghost in the glovebox
I think it´s definitely the ghost, but I´ll check the other stuff too, just in case.

Little update... it behaved alright all morning, but just now (14:00, GMT -4 here) it happened again and I also noticed something more worrisome... a slight smell from something burning :sob:

I know this doesn't fix the cause of the problem, but it may help with the symptoms... Pulling the fuel pump fuse should stop the engine running

So fat it's happened 3 times in 2 days... las night I tried gearing in 1st and releasing the clutch but it still ran, so I figured it wasn't the actual engine, at least not fully. Got off the car and recorded this vid. Definitely not engine sound. Also note there's some background noise.

... It's not just the fan or auxiliary cooling pump is it?
I don't really think so... I mean, I know our cars cooling systems keep pumping when turned off, to avoid turbo damage (heh... "Turbo Damage" sounds like a character from a 90's movie), but it was never that loud before, and I do feel some rumbling when in the cockpit. I do think it happens when I've been driving it the longest/hardest, so I wouldn't entirely rule out something at least related to the cooling system.

Checked once more, this time had enough time to get off the car, open the hood and check thoroughly. Apparently, it's just a misaligned fan rumbling like hell. going to the garage tomorrow or Tuesday, we'll see!