1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine bottom cover - what type of screws?

SRRAE Aug 15, 2018

1. SRRAE

SRRAE Member

When I removed the bottom cover I had to Dremel most of the screws. I've contacted Audi for replacements and they said they are the quarter turn type of screws.

I'm pretty sure the ones I took out weren't the quarter screw ones.

Does everyone elses car have the quarter turn ones?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Buxton2901

Buxton2901 Well-Known Member

Mine on my A4 and my A6 are the full threaded torx screws. Not quarter turn

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. SRRAE

SRRAE Member

Thanks for that.
    All the ones on mine are torx. The front are the smallest, the ones on side are bigger and the ones at the back bigger still.
    Audi are saying the ones on the side should be quarter turn.

5. jetty

jetty Active Member Team V6 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group Black Edition quattro S-line owners group

Torx front - quarter turns holding the rear of the panel. 3 or 4 of them.
    Perhaps each engine model has a slightly different panel ?

6. SRRAE

SRRAE Member

Maybe. It's a Technik. I remember reading somewhere as it is the A4 geared towards economy it has a few subtle difference, like lower ride height and different undertray to improve aerodynamics.

When I spoke to the parts guy from Audi and we were describing the screw locations he mentioned screws near the gearbox inspection panel. Mine doesn't have that, its all one solid piece.

I may go to Audi with the screw in question.

However, if I also replace the metal clips the screws go into, I should be able to use the quarter turn screws , shouldn't I?

7. jetty

jetty Active Member Team V6 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group Black Edition quattro S-line owners group

My old B8 had a one piece panel which covered engine and gearbox. I wouldn't change the fronts for quarters - they are a pain, you need to be lined up 100% and have no stress on the panel, plus they are less secure than a screw. The rears were quarter turns as you don't have so much wind flow trying to push the panel down.

8. SRRAE

SRRAE Member

I went to Audi to see the parts guys and took the screw that was being used.
    The service diagrams showed them to be the quarter turn screws but we found the screws being used in the parts list. I took 2 quarter turn and quick nuts to go with them anyway as I needed 2.

I've taken the undertray off and had a look at the quick nuts currently in place and it looks like they all should be the quarter turn screws. The parts guy at Audi wondered if the other screws were used out of necessity which it looks like they have been.

I've patched it up now with ones which fit but I'll be replacing them all with the proper quarter turn screws and new quick nuts later in the month