Engine bay cleaning

^adam^

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all.

Leaky rocker cover gaskets have made a mess of my S4 (B6) engine bay.

Now that I've changed them, I'm looking to clean up the engine bay so that I can keep an eye out for any other oil leaks as currently, it's covered with no way of knowing if there is a leak anywhere!

So with that in mind, I'm looking for product recommendations and methods to clean the engine bay? Bear in mind, the S4 engine bay is very cramped. I'd like to steam/pressure wash but with so many electronics in there that scares me! I'll need to do from the underside also.

Any tips?

TIA

You've got a few options here. In terms of products you only need the following, an all purpose cleaner, detailing brush, a dressing & microfibres.

We put together a video with Auto Finesse on how to clean an engine bay with a pressure washer & lance should you wish to go down that route. See below:

Cover up electronics safely & tape them down and you should be ok. An APC through a lance, will help pick up some dirt from the underside as well for you without getting underneath the car. If you're not confident in using that much water in the engine bay, you can spray an APC liberally to get to the dirt, brush to agitate and a cloth to dry. Then you're ok to apply a dressing to bring a bit of colour into the plastics under the bonnet. There are a few dedicated engine bay cleaners, Dodo Juice Release the Grease is a nice new one, but if you have a decent APC that should be all you need anyway.

Hope this helps!

Matt.

Reactions: scotty76
Thanks for that, not looking to go as far as dressing etc. Just cleaning old oil deposits to be honest.

With so many electrics maybe I'd just use the hose rather than pressure washer, less risk?

What concerns me is the electrical items that need taping that I can't see. I guess I'll just take it slow!

That's a good point, the use of a pressure washer is more suited to newer engines, that have a lot more protection of those sensitive areas. So, yeah to be on the safe side using an APC through a spray bottle will help you control things better. Rinsing off with a hose will give you less risk, and perhaps a garden nozzle/gun attachment which can give you a bit more pressure and direction.

Taking it slow is a wise choice. Best of luck!

Matt.

Reactions: golfather1
Most pressure washers have high and low pressure settings. I've never had any problem on the low pressure setting.

pressure washing should not be a problem as long as you keep the water direction moving at all times and not focus on 1 area, in terms of products a good degreaser or APC is always a good safe bet.