Engine Bay Cleaning

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All.

I cleaned my engine bay today by first spraying it with engine degreaser and then using a hand held steam cleaner. Worked a treat and engine bay is spotless and like new now!

I bought the steam cleaner in homebargain for £14.99 the other day and it's an awesome bit of kit. Very good on alloys as well.

Reactions: G_Shail
Can you post a pucture of the machine and the engine bay. Sounds like a good buy to me.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
This is the Steam Cleaner from Home Bargain. Great bit of kit and bargain price. Lots of attachments so great versatility.
Home Bargains. Search

I sprayed engine bay with de-greaser then waited a few minutes before using the steam cleaner. All grease and dirt marks lifted straight away. Here are the results:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tolly-SQ5, THQuattro, amped2 and 6 others
Got one from home bargains ive one all my door hinges today works really well. Top man for the tip

What do you do 2 protect the electrics as we need 2 do this with our motor?

Woth these steamers they have a fine nozzel meaning you keep it away from electrical areas. Its great as you can focus the steamer to where you need it.

which degreaser did you use as gunk leavs a residue, i am ordering that steam cleaner as it has done a mad job on yours and the pics are spot on

which degreaser did you use as gunk leavs a residue, i am ordering that steam cleaner as it has done a mad job on yours and the pics are spot on

Cheers mate. I used Gunk. I had no issue whatsoever. I hear WD40 does as good a job as well.

Reactions: sabaxter
Well impressed with the finish. Don't suppose you took any images from before you started and how long did it take you to do the engine bay? I just bought a power washer and foam lance but I think I could convince the missus we need a steam cleaner for the bathroom. ;-)

Reactions: AlexA4Avant and ScottishA4B9
Well impressed with the finish. Don't suppose you took any images from before you started and how long did it take you to do the engine bay? I just bought a power washer and foam lance but I think I could convince the missus we need a steam cleaner for the bathroom. ;-)

I didn't, I'm afraid mate. Put it this way, my missus hadn't cleaned it for the whole 6 months I was away so it was quite dirty from the winter country roads.

could eat my dinner of that ...
nice>>>

Just finished giving my Dad's X1 a quick going over. I only spent 10 minutes on it so I didn't give it my full attention. I sprayed Gunk on the worst effected parts and after waiting a few minutes, I manipulated the worst effected areas with a detailing brush, before attacking them with the steam cleaner.

BEFORE:
a3yvatum.jpg

e9edazu3.jpg

7abapedu.jpg

y4ume9yj.jpg

AFTER:
upazaza5.jpg

yjymeput.jpg

ge2eja5e.jpg

hu4yqy8e.jpg

e8a2ase4.jpg

He's now off to get his own one from Home bargain!

I've got mine, just need a break in the weather to give it a try. Cheers ScottishS3 for the heads up on this.

JG

Mine has arrived I ordered it online from them, can't wait to try it out 😃

What's the best engine degreaser to use that won't make my engine bay all messed up as gunk leaves a residue,

Fairy liquid should do it I think lol

I degreased mine with R222 Total Auto Wash then rinsed it and sprayed 303 Aerospace Protectant onto it wiping with a micro fibre towel and polished it up,first real clean so never went to town but good results…I think.

Reactions: amped2 and ScottishA4B9
I degreased mine with R222 Total Auto Wash then rinsed it and sprayed 303 Aerospace Protectant onto it wiping with a micro fibre towel and polished it up,first real clean so never went to town but good results…I think.

Looking good mate where did you buy that stuff from

Reactions: y2kcurran, ScottishA4B9 and voorhees
Wow never heard that one before, we at least you don't have to pay for it,
Might give it a go tomorrow I've got a sack full. :ninja:

Reactions: mancdan and A3Kent
Wow never heard that one before, we at least you don't have to pay for it,
Might give it a go tomorrow I've got a sack full. :ninja:

Just added a link to my post :icon_thumright:

Reactions: Turbo jay
Someone steam cleaned the engine bay on my car before I bought it and it killed one of the ignition coils. I'm not a fan.

Someone steam cleaned the engine bay on my car before I bought it and it killed one of the ignition coils. I'm not a fan.

Yeah but that would have been with the industrial power wash steam cleaners that valeters use and not from these wee machines on here!