Engine bay cleaning

Mr K

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a regular topic - couldnt see any other threads about it.

What do you all recomend to get your engine bays clean? I have just bought a new car and theres a film of dirt all over the engine bay, bulkhead etc.

I know the dealers all use a steam cleaner - but obviously the mixture of heat and pressureised water isnt a good thing, and I dont have the kit.

What do you all use to get this layer of grime off?

Did mine yesterday... See below.

All i used was Autoglym Engine Cleaner, Plenty of old rags (to mop up) kept rising them clean in water which was changed often, a few different sized paintbrushes, sponge, some old turtlewax for painted areas, Autoglym bumper gel and Bumper spray. Took a few hours of elbow grease but 100 times better.
I've also got a 10l handpumped water sprayer which i put onto a fine mist and used this to rinse on non electrical items.

Was going to give the K&N Filter and breather filter a wash and re-oiled by it started to rain unfortnately.

Last edited:
Looks really nice! Good work.

Im really after a spray on - rinse off type degreaser I think. Theres a bit of oil residue, just spillage and mainly around the oil filter etc but I want to get it all nice and clean so I can keep an eye out for any leaks.

Ive used gunk in the past but it seems a bit OTT and makes one hell of a mess, taking quite a bit to wash it off after.

Definately recommend Autoglym Engine cleaner. Spray on, leave for a few minutes, then use a brush to scrub away dirty then i used either a damp cloth to wipe away dirt (kept rinsing cloth in clean water) or my 10l handpump water sprayer on the non electric items.

I would ideally love to use a pressure washer on the deeper areas of the engine bay but think i'll end up doing some electric damage. Might try and get to the deeper areas at some point with a stiff long reach brush and use the mist setting on my sprayer to rinse away.
Very pleased with the result though. Definately adds personal value.....