Engaging 1st gear problems on my S4 Cabro (2007)

brian1970

Reaction score
Hi folks, i have carried out a search but not found anything on this one.

I purchased my S4 Cabro a few weeks ago.
I took it for a extensive test drive and it was great :)

Its only done 25K miles so its low millage for a 2007 car.

Over the last week, its been difficult to engage 1st gear, it needs a good hard push.
Nothing like engaging 2nd or 3rd while stationary. all other gears slip in lovelely.

When stationary selecting 1st gear dosent slip in like it did when i originally purchased the car a few weeks ago.

If i double clutch ( While Stationary) it then goes in fine, But 1st time i put foot on clutch and then try for first it needs a good push.

I turned down another S4 that i test drove as it had this fault.
What should i do ? can it be repaired or is this a common fault.
The gearbox is the 6 speed.

Brian

mmm I tried another S4 before i purchased this one, it had 77K on the Clock and had the same Fault, which is why i didnt purchase from dealer.
Do you think its a linkage issue ? or is it the clutch ?

mine had 23k 2yrs ago, and now is on 60k... (18k/PA - yikes!), and mine can be stiff to get into 1st.

i normally just drop it into 2nd, and then push up 2nd to 1st and she slides in easier (oh-er missus)

goose

Its booked in at the Garage next week to see if they can sort the problem out, strange thing is that it doesent do it all the time, Last Weekend it did it all the time, this week its slid in OK. something is going on, but cant put my finger on it.
Clutch bite seems to be really high.

My 2.0T also does this very randomly. I do as Goose suggested above, put it into 2nd and then slide back up to 1st gear.
My car has done 77k.

Im looking forward to seeing the answer for this.

My s4 does it, i have a feeling it could be the clutch beacuse if i roll forward as i try to engage the gear it goes in no problem.
I do hope its just the linkage though!!

my cars on 106K

Digging up this old thread to see if anyone got the answer? My 2007 cab also has issues with trying to push into 1st (hot and cold). Needs a good hard push and feels like its forcing it. If I go up to 3rd first then up to 1st gear it slots in better, as if its helped the syncro. But its really annoying when the lights change and i have to do a 2 gear change each time to move off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had this aswell on my 2ltr sline 6spd. Mines used to be notch as anything if I put it in neutral at traffic lights or anything and had to double clutch it at times to get into 1st, it was a real pain. Since then I had to get the clutch uprated with a sachs kit and now the gear selection is perfect, it just glides in. My cars done 78k.
Btw I had the gear oil done and the linkage greased up before the clutch replacement and these made no difference.
Star Performance(the garage I use) reckoned the clutch must have been dragging slightly.
Hope this helps.

We have an 07 cab too, same issue which is intermittent, drop into second if it happens but mainly on a cold engine, 59,000 well serviced etc. Wrote it off to just one of those things, it is an Audi after all !

Thanks for the replies guys, reckon it could well be the slight non disengagement of the clutch. Read that in a few places now. Drove it today and seemed actually quite good, so maybe more intermittent than I first thought. I'll see how bad it gets before thinking about the clutch replacement. What was the cost of the Sachs + fitting if you don't mind me asking?

Yep I have an 08 cab I get this too ,think it's on all manual boxes just have to go though the gears and try first again ,seems to be when cold