Enabling TPMS & HHA using VCDs (questions for a guide)

AK47UK

Reaction score
Over the past day I have been reading loads of threads on here and other forums about this and different steps were used and there was some disparity over which DIS/ABS modules it will work with. I thought if I start a thread, post my feedback and then with the help of more experienced users I could compile a guide to make it easier for others to do?

It is an Audi A3 2010 8P3 (Bluefin) with DIS and MK60EC1 ABS module.

VCDs steps for TPMS:
17 - Instruments
- Security Access

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Added +16 to the first 4 digits. Changed it from 0004428 to 0020428
--- Do It!

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
--- Test
----Save

03 - ABS / Brakes
- Coding
-- Long Coding Helper
--- Byte 16
---- Tick Bit 2
(can also add HHA here)
Note: I didn't enable anything in byte 17 as it said it was for MY2011+.

19 - Can Gatewat
- Installation List
-- Tick 4C Tyre Pressure II
--- Save

After following all of the above I was greeted by TPMS warning beep and light. I could not find any entries in my DIS menu for tyrw pressures (perhaps because I didn't enable the bit in byte 17).

When following the manual reset procedure in VCDs I see the 'Done' message but it does not stop the error beep and light from showing when starting my ignition. (ABS Controller - basic settings - Group 042 - Go!)

When enabling HHA by ticking the right bit in ABS byte 16 I get an ESP fault message on the DIS.

I have some VCDS scans from before and after, the only mod I have ever made to the code before today was to enable the coming home/leaving home bits. I have undone that now so I should be on original factory code.

Any help much appreciated, I read one post claiming that MY2010 (even with white DIS) couldn't reset the TPMS so I would need a switch. I don't mind installing a switch but it is worrying that the manual TPMS reset procedure doesn't seem to work for me. Does the calibration need to take place first?

Oh, and after clearing the DTCs there was a persistent Cent. Electronics malfunction, could this be because Trups LED numberplate bulbs are causing errors when using full beams?

Cheers

This thread suggests TPMS is possible in the 2010 DIS although this is an auto and it was factory fitted.

Last edited:
Hi mate, I read both of those thoroughly as well as the Ross-tech wiki and other vw/Audi forums. Looking at the process in my original post do you notice if I omitted anything? My TPMS light is on my rev dial around the 2k area iirc rather than on the speedo by 180. I can get the light on fine but I can't turn it off.

Hi. My tpms logo is in the same place you describe.

I did much the same as you, had lots of different threads, on different forums, and eventually it all came together on the threads above and some others on this site that cross posted. It took about a year to be confident to try it, and several attempts to get it right.

You need 1AT ABS unit which google suggests it is "ESP ready for TMPS* and Hill Hold " not a 1AS module. I'm not convinced MK60EC1 alone is enough. Please be aware, it is trial and error and at your own risk. RS3's for example, do not seem to work.

Check your boot/service book stickers to confirm 1AT or 1AS module.

Looking at your list I'd recheck step 3. Checking the 1110 stage.
And also your step 4 mine didn't work fully until both bits were enabled.

Make notes of old settings as you can always change it back.

Here is a German site translated with their method.

Traductor de Google

Also since the latest VCDS version, I no longer get the

---------------

Address 4C: Tire Pressure II
Cannot be reached

------------------- message when a full scan is done.

Last edited:
Reactions: AK47UK
I have 1AT too :) thanks for the feedback, will have another crack at it on Friday or whenever I have time!

What model and year do you have Phil? I thought 1AT meant you have the MK60EC1 ABS module, so it was possible to enable these features. I struggled so was looking for a bit of help, will be following Pauls advice and hoping for the best.

What model and year do you have Phil? I thought 1AT meant you have the MK60EC1 ABS module, so it was possible to enable these features. I struggled so was looking for a bit of help, will be following Pauls advice and hoping for the best.

Hi
It's a MY09. 170 TDI S-Line A3 SB
If anyone is local to me Harrogate and has already done this I'm more than happy to provide beer tokens ;-)

I had another go at this after seeing this post:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...es-vcds-users-please-check-3.html#post2182058

My main problem (I think) is in step 3 I can enter 1101 but when I press test it only enters 11 in as the new code. There is no way for me to get 4 digits in the new code box. I am using VCDs 11.15 IIRC and think I was done over on the 'genuine' cable I bought second hand as VCDs v12 will not write code changes to the car (I am unsure if the newer version will allow 4 digits here).

I had another go at this after seeing this post:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...es-vcds-users-please-check-3.html#post2182058

My main problem (I think) is in step 3 I can enter 1101 but when I press test it only enters 11 in as the new code. There is no way for me to get 4 digits in the new code box. I am using VCDs 11.15 IIRC and think I was done over on the 'genuine' cable I bought second hand as VCDs v12 will not write code changes to the car (I am unsure if the newer version will allow 4 digits here).

This worked for my MY11

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/157079-tpms-a3-2012-coding-issues-vcds-users-please-check-3.html#post2191353

Thanks mate, my setup is a bit different. I can't enter 1101 as it only allows two digits, I am not sure if this limitation is caused by the version of VCDS or not so I am trying to get a genuine cable as it looks like mine is fake even though I bought it as genuine.

Bit 1 is missing from byte 16 but when I add the 1 I don't get 3F, I can't remember what I get.

Also mine is a 2010 car so if I do get it working apparently my dis can't reset it so I will need to get the button (even though mine is the same facelift as yours).

Thanks for the guide, it is what I aimed to produce in this thread for others but I wasn't successful :p

Thanks mate, my setup is a bit different. I can't enter 1101 as it only allows two digits, I am not sure if this limitation is caused by the version of VCDS or not so I am trying to get a genuine cable as it looks like mine is fake even though I bought it as genuine.

Bit 1 is missing from byte 16 but when I add the 1 I don't get 3F, I can't remember what I get.

Also mine is a 2010 car so if I do get it working apparently my dis can't reset it so I will need to get the button (even though mine is the same facelift as yours).

Thanks for the guide, it is what I aimed to produce in this thread for others but I wasn't successful :p

Unlucky mate, there are a few posts on the linked thread that have your problem but not many answers, sorry I can't help as Im no expert in VCDS just willing to have a go based on what others are trying. downloading the latest software is easy and I doubt its your cable if you can do the rest of the mods, probably a module version was changed to allow this. As much as I can help mate.

I'll take a look at the modules fitted on mine over the weekend and see if that helps

Cheers mate, do you know what version of VCDS you used? I thought it might be the VCDS version limiting it and when I try my cable with v12 it seems to work but no code changes are written. I see no errors but assume I was had over.

Hi. I can't help much with the issues, it's one of those, it either works or doesn't.

I have just checked my logs I saved when It worked for me. I used a genuine Ross-Tech lead and 11.11.6 VCDS.

With 12.12.0 you no longer get the "Address 4C : Tyre Pressure II Cannot be reached message in the log, which tidies up the fault logs nicely for those with no faults :sm4:

Sounds like we may have used the same VCDS which makes me worry that there is something else preventing a 1101 code :(

Unlucky mate, there are a few posts on the linked thread that have your problem but not many answers, sorry I can't help as Im no expert in VCDS just willing to have a go based on what others are trying. downloading the latest software is easy and I doubt its your cable if you can do the rest of the mods, probably a module version was changed to allow this. As much as I can help mate.

I'll take a look at the modules fitted on mine over the weekend and see if that helps

VCDS version

ABS Module

Instruments and CAN Bus

Any help

For full guide go here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...es-vcds-users-please-check-3.html#post2192629

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AK47UK
Nice one mate, your guide in the other thread is what I was aiming for, now you have posted the modules I will compare to mine :)

Mine are practically identical, looks like the hardware is the same but yours might have updated software.

ABS

Instruments and CAN

You have an AH module on the ABS not an AT, that must be it

Instruments are L not M

maybe a little older versions???

Is that documented somewhere as being incompatible mate? Gutted if so. I expected the instruments to be different as everywhere says MY2011 can reset in the dis but 2010 needs the physical button :(