Empty buttons on the dashboard?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I realized that even though I opted for almost all options on my car, there are still two buttons that do nothing sitting on the dashboard.

Any ideas on what they're supposed to be? I'm guessing the rightmost one lights up yellow saying that the passenger airbag is off in some markets but I have no clue what the button before the ESP is supposed to be.

Attachments

• audi.jpeg
    audi.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 5,768
I realized that even though I opted for almost all options on my car, there are still two buttons that do nothing sitting on the dashboard.

Any ideas on what they're supposed to be? I'm guessing the rightmost one lights up yellow saying that the passenger airbag is off in some markets but I have no clue what the button before the ESP is supposed to be.
Far right = Passenger Airbag Warning Light
Next to Center = Is never used

Reactions: roadrunner_oz
Far right = Passenger Airbag Warning Light
Next to Center = Is never used

How come my car didn't come with the passenger airbag warning light? I'm guessing it's a US market thing.

Why would audi leave an unassigned space like that? Looks like a design flaw to me!

In the Glove Box you should have a Passenger Air Bag on / off lock. Stick your key in there and turn the Air Bag off and the yellow light should come on.

Maybe the blank button was earmarked for a feature they never released. Could be that they had the Club Sport in mind when designing the unit and the button in question was for raising or lowering the spoiler... or... Maybe Audi were hoping that the next 007 film would use the car and it would have been the ejection seat button :)

Edit:

Just zoomed in on your photo and can see that you have no clear lettering on the far right for the air bag warning. Strange. In the EU/UK it's something that has to be fitted.

In the Glove Box you should have a Passenger Air Bag on / off lock. Stick your key in there and turn the Air Bag off and the yellow light should come on.

Maybe the blank button was earmarked for a feature they never released. Could be that they had the Club Sport in mind when designing the unit and the button in question was for raising or lowering the spoiler... or... Maybe Audi were hoping that the next 007 film would use the car and it would have been the ejection seat button :)

Edit:

Just zoomed in on your photo and can see that you have no clear lettering on the far right for the air bag warning. Strange. In the EU/UK it's something that has to be fitted.

I heard the button was an ejector seat button for Alan's wife but as Alan didn't buy an Audi they didn't need to implement it
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Idiot-UK-Drivers-Exposed/143233165824638?fref=photo&sk=videos

Go to 5:54

"Alan!"

LOL

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant

Edit:

I wish it was fitted in my car even though it seems like a useless option but at least one empty button is still better then 2!

I'm pretty sure the blank button (not the airbag indicator light) is used in the e-tron to switch modes (charging, hybrid, performance or whatever they have)

I'm pretty sure the blank button (not the airbag indicator light) is used in the e-tron to switch modes (charging, hybrid, performance or whatever they have)
Don't look like it

Attachments

• AUDIA3Sportbacke-tron-4826_11.jpg
    AUDIA3Sportbacke-tron-4826_11.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 3,215
Just opened up a spare unit... Looks like all the connections are there ready for something, however there is no LED.

Attachments

• IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 1,190
Right so, if an e-tron model was fitted with the options as shown in the OP's photo, one can assume that would be all the blanks used up then.

Two blanks shown on the e-tron.
If fitted with front sensors and self park, that would be all blanks used.

Just did a quick build on Audi UK and it seems you can have all the same options as per normal A/S3's. Am a little confused tho as when looking at the button units for the e-tron's they have two buttons which normal cars don't, one marked "!" and one marked "E something". Cannot see how these would fit in a fully spec'd car which would only have one blank button...

Just to add fuel to the argument, here are two photos of e-tron button units. One is from a pre-production LHD e-tron and the other is from mine.

LHD pre-production buttons:

My RHD early production model:

[EDIT]
Obviously the e-tron does not use the normal start/stop system and hence will not have the associated warning lamp/button second from left, this is replaced by the mode select which incorporates the relevant start/stop functionality.

Last edited:
Maybe it's an 'Extra' button...

http://www.swadeology.com/2012/05/the-saab-99turbo-extra-button/

…..regarding the Extra button in the 99 (and also other Saabs) It was a button located in the panel [to be used] if the owner of the car wanted to add some electrical equipment to the car, like foglights etc. In Swedish we call [it] Extraljus. So we can say that it is a bit of Swinglish in our cars.

The button was also available off the shelf at our dealers if people wanted to have more in their Saab. We probably sold MANY of them in the good old times when the staus of the cars was connected to how many switches you had on the dashboard…..

Correct me if I am wrong, but the details in the photo posted by @DJAlix does not appear to be genuine, it appears to be constructed of various e-tron elements for display purposes only. The button with the exclamation mark surrounded by a triangle is shown in the location used by the Park Assist function.

If you notice from the photo, the front wheels being driven with yellow arrows/lines indicates that the car is using the ICE but the indicator (white engine block) should be displayed in the left hand instrument cluster.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the details in the photo posted by @DJAlix does not appear to be genuine, it appears to be constructed of various e-tron elements for display purposes only. The button with the exclamation mark surrounded by a triangle is shown in the location used by the Park Assist function.

If you notice from the photo, the front wheels being driven with yellow arrows/lines indicates that the car is using the ICE but the indicator (white engine block) should be displayed in the left hand instrument cluster.
Maybe, but thats just an image returned from a fast google search.

At the end of the day, from all the images and feedback, I think it's safe to say that the blank button next to the Warning / Hazard button is not in use by Audi.

As for the "own equipment" theory, maybe and would be logic for sure, but the button blank cannot be depressed and if you wanted to be able to depress the button you would need to remove the white plastic insert and then replace it with a black plastic Audi "rocker". Number one it's a bitch of a job to remove the white plastic insert! I have two units as I am in the process of installing an extra Alarm LED in the "Blank" space we are talking about and have done it. Number two The "rocker" is not available as a spare part as the control unit is only sold as a complete item.

Reactions: jetron