1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emmission recall

spartacus68 Aug 30, 2016

1. spartacus68

spartacus68 Active Member

Received the letter from Audi UK for my 2.0 Allroad TDI (170bhp) requiring the emission software update. I know this topic is rumbling on, but as this relatively new-to-me A4 isn't chipped I opted for the work to be carried out. The dealer also advised the air conditioning required a software update too, so they would complete both at the same time.

My local Audi dealer has recently relocated to a new state of the art site on the edge of town, and given they must be getting financial support to re-engage with customers I couldn't fault their service. They've gone all boutique hotel with a drive-in and an express check out facility. Its a bit of a gimmick, but I can't fault their communication, with letters, texts and follow-up emails.

I honestly can't tell any difference since the work has been completed and I've driven it for the last couple of days and experimented with Audi Drive Select modes. The dealer also completed a full health check on the vehicle and checked tyre depths, so all very comprehensive.

On returning to the car after the trip to the dealer they'd left a car care kit on the passenger seat. Nice touch, even if it is VAG group's way of saying sorry.

image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. maui

maui Active Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

A cleaning kit as an apology! Ehh... Oh well.
    I was speaking with a colleague of mine in the US, who has a VW Golf which is subject to the emissions scandal. He already got a pre-paid master card from them as an initial compensation, and now has been told that they will buy his car back (from now till 2018) for the retail price he paid for it, along with another bout of compensation! Also any servicing / parts until that buy-back are free.

So in effect, in 2018 he can hand his car back, then buy a brand new one with the refund / compensation they are giving.

4. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

And that's because the US legal system allows class action litigation to financially cripple any company/manufacturer who steps out of line.

Even individual state governments can take them to court and get huge settlements. While Europe and the UK are starting to play with the "no win, no fee" type of actions, the US are way ahead of us, supported by their consumer laws.

That's why in the US they are getting cash (think it's $4000) and a 100% buy back guarantee, and we get a car care kit. The cost of the US compensation package would be dwarfed by the legal costs if they hadn't put a sweetener deal on the table.