EML On - V157 Motor Manifold Intake Flap - Intermittent Fault P3103

tinochelli

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping to get a bit of help as my local Audi Dealer is not showing much certainty in how to resolve the V157 fault. They have said that it could be the Throttle Body (Controller Lid), EGR or the intake manifold.

I have read that these are the 3 possible causes but have also read that a fuse issue could be causing it. However i am seeing the fuse issue related to V157 No signal or wire to ground faults as opposed to mine which is a Intermittent Fault.

When I turn off the ignition I do notice more of a judder in the engine. As the 3 parts cost well over £1000 for genuine new parts I decided to buy tested used parts. This is what i have done so far:

-Removed the Throttle body and cleaned it - flap is intact and teeth feel like they have tension all the way to closed. Vale is open by default.
-Removed EGR and cleaned this also. Tested and light remained intermittent.
-Then bought a 2nd hand Throttle body and fitted it. EML is still on and judder still present.

Just recently the turbo has now started to be intermittent with no obvious pattern :sadlike: Sometimes its just not there but could appear in 2nd or in 4th and if i keep increasing speed the turbo seems to stay until i slow down. Almost like a pressure issue??

I have read that some people have aircon issues which can relate to a fuse issue - my aircon is fine

I am not a mechanic but am ok with hands on stuff.

I am really hoping for some advice that i can do to help find the actual fault and not just replace parts that are related.

Car is an Audi A6 C6 2006 Avant 2.0 TDi

Tried connecting friends VAG Com to the car and it seems to connect but it not reading properly so may need to take back to garage to get faults checked since the turbo issue has started as this has not been done.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Franco

I have now replaced the Throttle body with a 2nd hand one from a breakers yard and when i ran the car the turbo was working at all times. Then i remembered I had forgotten to reconnect the power to the throttle body!! Once i did this the issue came back. What does this mean? Sensor, electrical??

I don't want to replace the EGR valve and then the intake manifold (which are apparently the 3 causes of this issue) only to find its some sort of sensor issue.

Just looking for a bit of insight as to how all this works and what could be causing this V157 Intermittent fault alarm.

All advice welcome

Thanks,

Hi.
A15 10124
1 -22 Nm
2 -Lifting eye
3 -22 Nm
qTighten in stages and in diagonal sequence
4 -Gasket
qRenew
5 -Intake manifold
qIllustration shows intake manifold without change-over flap
qRemoving and installing → Chapter
6 -Bracket
qFor wiring harness
7 -22 Nm
8 -Gasket
qRenew
9 -Gasket
qRenew
10 -Connecting pipe for exhaust gas recirculation
11 -22 Nm
12 -Seal
qRenew if damaged or leaking
13 -Air intake hose to charge air cooler
14 -10 Nm
15 -Intake manifold flap motor -V157-
16 -O-ring
qRenew
17 -Exhaust gas recirculation valve -N18- with exhaust gas recirculatio
Write back number of parts 15 ,check faults again and attach.
Check Fuse SA 12 {15 amper} Location of fuses (SA), in electronics box left in plenum chamber, right-hand drive or check power {12 volts} in wire v157 pin 2 and ground in pin 1 .

Last edited:
Hi.
View attachment 27210
1 -22 Nm
2 -Lifting eye
3 -22 Nm
qTighten in stages and in diagonal sequence
4 -Gasket
qRenew
5 -Intake manifold
qIllustration shows intake manifold without change-over flap
qRemoving and installing → Chapter
6 -Bracket
qFor wiring harness
7 -22 Nm
8 -Gasket
qRenew
9 -Gasket
qRenew
10 -Connecting pipe for exhaust gas recirculation
11 -22 Nm
12 -Seal
qRenew if damaged or leaking
13 -Air intake hose to charge air cooler
14 -10 Nm
15 -Intake manifold flap motor -V157-
16 -O-ring
qRenew
17 -Exhaust gas recirculation valve -N18- with exhaust gas recirculatio
Write back number of parts 15 ,check faults again and attach.
Check Fuse SA 12 {15 amper} Location of fuses (SA), in electronics box left in plenum chamber, right-hand drive or check power {12 volts} in wire v157 pin 2 and ground in pin 1 .

Hi christof71,

The part number for part #15 is: 03G128063J
The judder seems to have disappeared (for now)...i believe the controller lids only function is to prevent judder when the engine is turned off, so it appears it is now working. However the turbo issue remains. I am wondering if this is related to a sensor as I have noticed that if i start moving and accelerate quickly keeping the revs high (about 2000-2500) the turbo keeps working.

If i drive more economically the turbo mostly wont work but is intermittent. Could be possible another fault has occurred...

All of this makes me think electrical, sensor or fuse?

I am take the car to the garage tomorrow to get faults checked again & see what has changed if anything.

I will check pin 2 for 12V.

From checking google i have an idea of where the SA 12 fuse is so will get it check tomorrow and update.

Thanks

Hi christof71,

The part number for part #15 is: 03G128063J
The judder seems to have disappeared (for now)...i believe the controller lids only function is to prevent judder when the engine is turned off, so it appears it is now working. However the turbo issue remains. I am wondering if this is related to a sensor as I have noticed that if i start moving and accelerate quickly keeping the revs high (about 2000-2500) the turbo keeps working.

If i drive more economically the turbo mostly wont work but is intermittent. Could be possible another fault has occurred...

All of this makes me think electrical, sensor or fuse?

I am take the car to the garage tomorrow to get faults checked again & see what has changed if anything.

I will check pin 2 for 12V.

From checking google i have an idea of where the SA 12 fuse is so will get it check tomorrow and update.

Thanks
ok:-}
First check Engine ECU for any faults ,if no faults do not do nothing.

In The throttle is an electric motor V157, they often break down. Mostly
are blocked and cause a burning fuse SA 12. repair is not possible to just replace it. You do not need to buy the Audi, it unit is the same in vw, seat, skoda.

THROTTLE BODY 1.9 2.0 88.054 03G128063C 03G128061A 03G128063J - Audi - A4 - 1.9 / 2.0

I will get faults checked first before doing anything.

I have replaced the original part with a 2nd hard part from a breakers.

I opened up my original one and all the teeth were intact. The only issue i noticed with it is the rubber seal had about an inch of length sticking out of it. No oil was leaking so unsure if this is by design...certainly the replacement wasnt like that.

Would fuse SA 12 cause the Turbo issues i am having?

I will get faults checked first before doing anything.

I have replaced the original part with a 2nd hard part from a breakers.

I opened up my original one and all the teeth were intact. The only issue i noticed with it is the rubber seal had about an inch of length sticking out of it. No oil was leaking so unsure if this is by design...certainly the replacement wasnt like that.

Would fuse SA 12 cause the Turbo issues i am having?
Any incorrect operation of the turbine is stored in the ECU memory.
Enter the code of your engine, I'll give you details of how to check turbo and Air Flow Meter .

AFM can cause a drop in engine power without saving any errors in the engine control unit.

Any incorrect operation of the turbine is stored in the ECU memory.
Enter the code of your engine, I'll give you details of how to check turbo and Air Flow Meter .

AFM can cause a drop in engine power without saving any errors in the engine control unit.

Got EML checked and so far the V157 P3103 error is gone...however now replaced with a P0403 EGR solenoid fault.
I assume i now need to replace this? This fault was not on the diagnostics when first checked so is a new issue. I guess this could be causing intermittent turbo issue?

Garage tried to sync/align the EGR incase the new throttle body was causing the error but it came straight back

As Original fault (V157 P3103) is gone i guess there is no need to check the fuses.

I will get the part number for the EGR. Any suggestions as to where i buy it?

Thanks

Got EML checked and so far the V157 P3103 error is gone...however now replaced with a P0403 EGR solenoid fault.
I assume i now need to replace this? This fault was not on the diagnostics when first checked so is a new issue. I guess this could be causing intermittent turbo issue?

Garage tried to sync/align the EGR incase the new throttle body was causing the error but it came straight back

As Original fault (V157 P3103) is gone i guess there is no need to check the fuses.

I will get the part number for the EGR. Any suggestions as to where i buy it?

Thanks
Hi.
What is the code of your engine?
And what is the number of your EGR?

EGR Part number is 03G131501R...from memory.
Engine is a BRE or 4F I can't remember which is the engine code. Not at home at the moment and don't have details to hand. Will confirm later on.

EGR Part number is 03G131501R...from memory.
Engine is a BRE or 4F I can't remember which is the engine code. Not at home at the moment and don't have details to hand. Will confirm later on.
I think that I have a used EGR, I'll check tomorrow at work .
Good night
ps:EGR system for engin code BRE is different ,check Your engine code again .{Sticker on the first page of the service book}

Last edited:
Engine code is BRE.
Engine output is 4F5

I gave the VIN to Audi and thats the part number I was given. I also have an Audi Schematic with part number on there. Thats also whats on the 1st page in the booklet. See attached

EGR

Thanks

Last edited:
Engine code is BRE.
Engine output is 4F5

I gave the VIN to Audi and thats the part number I was given. I also have an Audi Schematic with part number on there. Thats also whats on the 1st page in the booklet. See attached

View attachment 27308

Thanks
Hi.
I'm sorry I did not have time today. 'll I check the EGR tomorrow and I'll give you the answer.

Hi .
My EGR is 03l131501e and It is different .
Before replacing your EGR try cleaning from the soot Unscrew the plastic cover and see if there are broken teeth on wheels.
I often clean the Egr and if teeth are not damaged the problem persists.
Also check whether the aluminum pipe from egr is not partially blocked with soot.
Sorry for my English
Regards

Hi .
My EGR is 03l131501e and It is different .
Before replacing your EGR try cleaning from the soot Unscrew the plastic cover and see if there are broken teeth on wheels.
I often clean the Egr and if teeth are not damaged the problem persists.
Also check whether the aluminum pipe from egr is not partially blocked with soot.
Sorry for my English
Regards

Hi christof71,

EGR have has already been cleaned and just a very very thin layer of carbon. Cleaned anyway. All elements appear to be functional. Nothing broken. Replaced egr valve and now turbo working as expected. EML still on though...will this clear by itself or will garage need to do it? Also is there any alignment that needs to happen for the new EGR? Turbo working 100% (touch wood) so i would assume not.
Thanks.

Hi christof71,

EGR have has already been cleaned and just a very very thin layer of carbon. Cleaned anyway. All elements appear to be functional. Nothing broken. Replaced egr valve and now turbo working as expected. EML still on though...will this clear by itself or will garage need to do it? Also is there any alignment that needs to happen for the new EGR? Turbo working 100% (touch wood) so i would assume not.
Thanks.
You should erase fault memory, road test the vehicle and read engine ECU for any faults again.Everything should be ok
best regards

Hi Franco, This was obviously a while ago now - did you get it sorted?
I have the same issues - I have tried 2 new different aftermarket throttle bodies and both will work and then after a day or so the engine light will reappear.
I have also had an auto electrician check ALL wiring which they report all good.
Driving home from the garage (with the eml light off) I've noticed the turbo not coming in at all in the low revs. The turbo on my car has a very significant spool noise like if you were to whistle - that is now gone!? and yes massive lag.