Emissions Fix tomorrow - should I get it done?

Spiedhermonkey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So my motor is going in for a service tomorrow and the emissions campaign says mine is eligible.

I saw one post where the owner reported a loss in performance after getting it done though.

Does anybody have any insight on it? I have til tomorrow morning to decide & will be doing my research tonight, so any advice welcome.....

So my motor is going in for a service tomorrow and the emissions campaign says mine is eligible.

I saw one post where the owner reported a loss in performance after getting it done though.

Does anybody have any insight on it? I have til tomorrow morning to decide & will be doing my research tonight, so any advice welcome.....

What engine and power do you have? I thought it was something to do with adblue consumption.

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

What engine and power do you have? I thought it was something to do with adblue consumption.

Sorry, I thought it was in my signature. It’s the 3.0 BiTDI, 320ps. The customer service person said it was related to air intake on my car.

Sorry, I thought it was in my signature. It’s the 3.0 BiTDI, 320ps. The customer service person said it was related to air intake on my car.

Ok well I have no idea then. Sorry

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey
Let me know how you get on at the dealer. Mines is going in for a service end of the month too. So really interested in the outcome. Thanks

Will do. I’m reading some pretty scary stuff online- from sources like The Guardian & Telegraph, Honest John etc.

These do date back to early ‘18, so possibly it’s a different update now, but I’m still concerned.

Audi say out of 480,000 cars updated, ONLY(!!!) 3,600 have resulted in complaints and only 150 of these complaints haven’t been fixed. Not sure it’s worth the risk while the car is running well though.

I personally wouldn't.
That's just me though.
If your happy enough now, why risk it?
You have already scared yourself lol and there's no law making you to....

I personally wouldn't.
That's just me though.
If your happy enough now, why risk it?
You have already scared yourself lol and there's no law making you to....

That’s the way I’m leaning, if not fully decided tbh. If it ain’t broke.....

The only question I had was whether come resale time, the fact that it hadn’t been done could be an issue for buyers, or be a reason for the dealer to knock the price down. Having said that, it will be a bigger problem when I come to sell it if the update causes big problems I reckon, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ
That’s the way I’m leaning, if not fully decided tbh. If it ain’t broke.....

The only question I had was whether come resale time, the fact that it hadn’t been done could be an issue for buyers, or be a reason for the dealer to knock the price down. Having said that, it will be a bigger problem when I come to sell it if the update causes big problems I reckon, lol.

Well in that scenario you could always plead ignorance....

Will do. I’m reading some pretty scary stuff online- from sources like The Guardian & Telegraph, Honest John etc.

These do date back to early ‘18, so possibly it’s a different update now, but I’m still concerned.

Audi say out of 480,000 cars updated, ONLY(!!!) 3,600 have resulted in complaints and only 150 of these complaints haven’t been fixed. Not sure it’s worth the risk while the car is running well though.

Do you have the link to these articles. My car has been on variable servicing so last time it was with the dealers was 2017. So may have a few recalls on it. ***

True. The biggest priority for me though, is that the car runs well and doesn’t incur big repair costs, so I reckon it’s clear. Not having the update done.

Reactions: Bishop187 and CHEZ
That is all about the 2.0 TDI engines, the 3.0 fix only came in last year (from what I remember) and I've not seen any complains on the forums about the 3.0TDi after the update.

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey and Bishop187
ccad3ebf0150f8ef3667db4b375737d8.jpg

It tells you on DVLA mot checker. I believe it’s the adblue recall

Does the biTdi have adblue then?

I would have thought it depends on the year. Facelift onwards was my understanding, so 64 plate onwards

Reactions: rjwojcik

How did u get on with the service? What did they say about the “fix”

I couldn’t speak to them while they had the car in, as I was tied up at work all day. They didn’t do the update though.

Service was a major service, so it did include oil change I’m glad to say.

Had I had time to speak to them while it was in, I’d have asked them to change it from long life service to fixed 10,000 miles. I will get the car in after another 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not & get them to change the service schedule next time.

Reactions: Bishop187
ccad3ebf0150f8ef3667db4b375737d8.jpg

It tells you on DVLA mot checker. I believe it’s the adblue recall

The person on the service desk definitely said the update (called a ‘campaign, rather than a recall) was related to air flow or air intake. It’s also an optional update, so I suspect it’s a different ‘campaign’ to the one you’ve posted for your car. Could be wrong, but that’s the impression I get.

Got my car back from Audi today. Went in for oil and inspection service. They told me there were 2 outstanding recalls. 1 was to replace the Lambda sensor, which they changed and the other was to check the heater wiring loom, which they said was fine. Nothing about any emissions “fix” though. I got them to update my MMI for free which was a bonus.

But they did find this...
28f9c82adf96791644d90954e539dbd8.jpg

Nice place to have a contact working!

Well my car is in for its first MOT tomorrow and they’re asking about the emissions campaign fix again. I’ve done more googling & can’t really find any negatives regarding the 3.0 engine (as B5Nut alluded to) so I think I’m going to bite the bullet and let them do it.

Will report back any noticeable changes afterwards.

O I did see one comment, that addblue usage went up. I believe that was what the update was about, too little addblue entering the exhaust system.

I had it done. Sometimes I think the power is taking longer to put down since. Like pulling away at a junction, it feels like there’s more lag. I could well be imagining it though because I’m looking for it.

They said beforehand that they’d not had any complaints and the EGR would be covered under warranty. I can’t imagine anything they do to the EGR would affect the power delivery though.

I had my "fix" done a couple of weeks ago. It almost instantly did a regen but after that I noticed it wouldn't drop into 8th until over 60mph in any drive mode. The car didn't seem as spirited to drive as it used to and I took it to be looked at away from Audi.
It was put on a dyno run and power was down to 248hp ***. It's now back to a more respectable figure. Nowhere in the letter did it mention they would reduce the power or performance of the car. Audi also give 5 free adblu top ups over the next 2 years becausee of raised adblue useage.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk