Emission Control System Light

jackj

Reaction score
Morning chaps,

Emission Control System Light has just popped up on my S3.

I know I need a diagnostics check to fully determine the issue, but has anyone else encountered this? If so, why did your light come on? Any easy fix?

Where are you located Jack? We can try find someone close to you to run a vcds scan see what fault(s) it throws up. :)

I'm based in Teesside Sandra

That's great - spot on, cheers Sandra PM'd

Is the car out of warranty?

You don't really want to drive anywhere at speed either until the fault is identified/rectified as you risk damage to the catalytic converter. Could be any number of things such as dirty injectors, coil packs etc.

Out of interest what fuel do you use?

Hi mate, I only picked the car up from my local Audi dealer on Wednesday. I filled up myself for the first time last night and put Shell V-Power Nitro in it. Could it be because it's the V-Power Nitro cleaning things out?

The car has 2 years warranty. Audi could only fit me in for diagnostics on Wednesday at the earliest

Its a bit late now but, I would be straight back to the Audi garage. This is a 'serious' warning light with the manual stating 'drive slowly to a qualified workshop without delay and have the fault rectified'. I'd advise going straight back to the dealer first thing on Monday morning and tell them you're not happy having only just picked up the car recently. If you need a courtesy car just ask them politely. Remember the sales guys and heads of dept's have company cars that can be used or given to customers in an emergency.
Don't let them fob you off with 'oh the earliest we can fit you in is Wednesday' - staggering.And don't let them fob you off with 'oh it may take a while to fix it'. Just say that you bought the car expecting great customer service and for a fault to occur so soon after purchase the least they can do is provide you with transport till its fixed. If it had been me I would have been straight back to them today - bit late now as the service dept usually only work till 12:30. Remember always be polite in your dealings with them.

Thanks mate - you are right, and they said they have booked a courtesy car in for me for 2 days 'just incase'.

I know the service dept. is shut now but I might ring the sales guy I dealt with and stress my concern and see if I can get it looked at on Monday.

I presume you recommend me not driving at all until I take it to the garage? The service dept. said it is fine to drive 'normally' unless I feel any difference in the driving of the car

If its the emissions light the manual states as above. So I'd play it safe and just turn up on Monday morning armed with your manual and quote from it.

Mine come on due to a flap not opening properly in the fuel tank or summit. Got it recalibrated and that was the end of that