Electronic Park Brake Feature

veeeight

I am a very pretty girl
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
On page 93 of the Owners Manual:

"The Parking Brake is applied automatically if the driver's door is opened while the ignition is on. This is to prevent the vehicle from accidently rolling away".

I have a S-tronic without the Hold Assist Option.

This does NOT work for me - does this "feature" work for anyone else? (without Hold Assist)

1. We are not talking about fobs, the brochure promised a "S" moulded remote key which never materialised. The Golf R has an "R" in the brightwork of the remote key.

2. This thread and topic is about EPB, not about your key fob. Try to keep on topic (hard for you I know).

Reactions: h5djr and slipped_disc
It works for me (on occasions) as I've opened the door to check how close I am to the kerb and the ****** parking brake has come on as I'm still moving, albeit slowly. Manual S3.

Reactions: hittchy
Interesting!

Do you have Hold Assist?

And why only on occasion :(

I do, and because I recall it didn't do it last time I opened my door. I shall test shortly as I need to fill up, and what better time to do it than at 11pm when the roads are quiet :)

Now I recall a fact occurred this morning. I have the Hold Assist on S-Tronic and I admit that I never use it. But this morning I used it just to play. I did something I do not recall exactly that automatically disengaged the Hold Assist and engage the hand brake. I will do another test tomorrow morning to discover what I do for triggering this event.

Putting mine in park with hold assist on engages the parking brake. Not noticed it coming on in any other circumstance so far.

Reactions: audiruss
I tested tonight. It definitely comes on if I'm stationary and open the door. It doesn't seem to come on if I'm still moving and open the door. I also need my seatbelt on.

Thanks for testing!

The way it's described in the manual, this should work without Hold Assist. But it seems not!

Reactions: warren_S5
I have a manual with hold assist and it does this, I find it annoying, as per a previous post when you open the door to judge a gap the handbrake comes on.

It also does the same when you take the drivers seat belt off, I find this pretty handy. Pull up, into neutral, seat belt off, job done :)

Reactions: RYuill
UPDATE:

I do not have Hold Assist, and I have got this to work (automatically apply the Park Brake if I open the Drivers Door)

Pre-requisites:
Driver Seat Belt on or off
Gearbox in D

Roll to a halt (or rolling under 3mph) - open door with gearbox still in D, Park Brake comes ON !!!

(Does not work if gearbox in "N" or "P")

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I do not have Hold Assist, and I have got this to work (automatically apply the Park Brake if I open the Drivers Door)

Pre-requisites:
Driver Seat Belt on
Gearbox in D

Roll to a halt (or rolling under 3mph) - open door with gearbox still in D, Park Brake comes ON !!!

(Does not work if gearbox in "N" or "P")

I tried mine this afternoon and my findings are the same, although I do have Hold Assist but I has it switched off. Works with the s-tronic in manual mode as well but as you say, not in N or P.

Just don't try opening the door when it's stationary but in D with start/stop active. It bleats like an incoming missile warning.....

Reactions: veeeight
Just don't try opening the door when it's stationary but in D with start/stop active. It bleats like an incoming missile warning.....
Yeah I had this today, wonder why it was going mental for a minute until I realised I'd left it in D. ;)

Yeah I had this today, wonder why it was going mental for a minute until I realised I'd left it in D. ;)

So you could say the system did it's job, reminding you about being in left in D. I wonder if it would spot an incoming missile? We may soon be in a position to find out:)

Works for me in D when stationary and one opens the door. MMi also beep and warns.

Also there is some sequence of events when u switch off, put car in P and open door, Parking brake engages automatically

Works for me in D when stationary and one opens the door. MMi also beep and warns.

Also there is some sequence of events when u switch off, put car in P and open door, Parking brake engages automatically

No I dont...

Slightly off topic. Car went in to Audi Coventry today to have the software update applied to fix the faulty handbrake release problem.

Left the paperwork in the car, but I think it was software update #4305

Anyone know if this fixes anything else? Is there a link to a 'release note' of sorts?

After 2 months of ownership, I have discovered this other permutation.

(No Hold Assist).

Stop Car
Release seat belt
Move gear into P
Open door
Switch off engine (leave key in)
Wait approx 10-20 seconds
EPB will automatically engage

I think it will also automatically engage with a variation of the above, but haven't yet had time to explore!

Reactions: illingworth22