Electronic Handbrake

Scuba Blue

Reaction score
Can this be coded to engage more gradually? I hate the fact that if the car is moving even slightly the abrupt engagement causes a real jerk...maybe I'm driving like a jerk?

Can I check why are you engaging the handbrake before the car has come to a halt and under what circumstances?

Yea, I can’t see the issue if you’re moving, surely it’s you?
My biggest annoyance is in the Qashqai when you turn the engine off the handbrake applies. In the A4 is doesn’t. I’ve missed it a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tickedon
Although mine is random it does put the ehb on. Certain conditions have to fulfilled, such as having the stronic gearbox for starters. It also operates on all four wheels when the car is in motion possibly the reason why it's fierce:
Screenshot 20200425 173353 Adobe Acrobat

Last edited:
My EPB has never activated by itself which is quite annoying - it only works 'manually' with the button. In contrast I never have to touch the button in my golf, it automatically applies when the engine is off or the door is opened. I think the big difference is the golf has hill hold assist whereas the S4 doesn't.

But it sounds like even people with hill hold don't have a consistent experience?

I've got the manual gearbox and my handbrake comes on automatically. It can be a little bit fiddly though, if anybody opens a door or you turn the ignition off when you've not been stopped for about half a second it doesn't engage.

I've got the manual gearbox and my handbrake comes on automatically. It can be a little bit fiddly though, if anybody opens a door or you turn the ignition off when you've not been stopped for about half a second it doesn't engage.

I have a manual A4 Black and mine is a manual press of the button. What you got?

Not entirely sure now you mention it mate. Haven’t noticed one I must say.

My button is under the climate control screen. Can just see it here.
8e99677497124e80e8e305f52f1e9776.jpg

My button is under the climate control screen. Can just see it here.
8e99677497124e80e8e305f52f1e9776.jpg

If you are referring to the start stop deactivation button? The hill hold one is next to the ebh one:
Start stop:
Screenshot 20200426 104539 Adobe Acrobat
Hill hold is shown over to the right of the picture, next to the ebh marked in red.

I think that the OP needs to retrain himself to convert from having a cable operated handbrake to an electric handbrake, that just took me a couple of days of needing to say sorry to my passengers!
There are no electronic handbrakes, there are only electric handbrakes - electric motors force/drive the pads out to clamp the rear discs. Even lots of car manufacturers tend to describe them as electronic handbrakes!
My wife does not use an electronic toaster or an electronic clothes iron, both of them are electricity supplied greenly, it is said by Octopus!

Tis true, although, with my pedantic head on, electronics do control the ehb :)