Electronic Handbrake .......

sloth_sloman

Reaction score
I bought my Audi A4 Estate on Monday and it came with the electronic handbrake. Now my old car (Astra) had the same but on hill starts it came with the assist where it would hold for 3 seconds allowing you to get biting point. Does the Audi come with anything like this as everytime ive been on a hill so far i either roll back or end up just bouncing on the clutch......

Was going to wait until Saturday and just go into local Audi and ask

Think it's optional extra (typical Audi) as mine don't hold either. but by fiancées fiesta does hold and that's old school handbrake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hill hold is a separate (optional) function. I've heard that it's possible to activate it on a non-switchable basis using VCDS, Audi's diagnostic software, but don't know if it applies to all models. Even if it can be done on your car, Audi won't do it as it's not "official". However, someone on here with VCDS might be able to help you.

Last edited:
The handbrake should release only when the car has enough force pushing forward to stop it from rolling back. You basically just set off and it releases. I quickly got into the habit of not lifting the clutch pedal until I was 100% ready to set off (I used to creep a bit in my previous cars with regular manual handbrakes).

Yeah, if I remember I will just put the handbrake on and then pull off. Same effect as hill hold.

the optional one is no matter what grade etc it will partially apply the handbrake, as soon as you come to a stop the car will be held indefinitly

did they all come with the audi assist button as standard? i have the button but when i push it, it just say audi auto assist not available

Just in case you don't know, the electric parking brake will only "auto" release in standard configuration/coding, if the drivers seat belt is on!

The "full" version of the HHA, relies on you pressing the brakes hard enough to stop and hold the car - as all it does I think, is to close some of the ABS control valves and hold the fluid under pressure, in the lines. Another thing, the "full" HHA holds the car maybe for ever, not just for 3 or 4 or 5 seconds like some other models. With safety in mind, if you get HHA and use it, ie get the switch and enable it, if you then open the driver's door, the electric handbrake will get applied and the HHA switched off, does that in other situations as well. Maybe horrible to consider, but it has been said that HHA saves the life of the electric parking brake - anyone without HHA will not be impressed with that!

It sounds to me like your car is supposed to have hill hold assist but that it isn't working, hence the error on the dash.

Hill hold is a separate (optional) function. I've heard that it's possible to activate it on a non-switchable basis using VCDS, Audi's diagnostic software, but don't know if it applies to all models. Even if it can be done on your car, Audi won't do it as it's not "official". However, someone on here with VCDS might be able to help you.
@DJAlix might be able to offer advice on this topic me thinks :thumbs up:

Reactions: sloth_sloman
Get it scanned and checked. Mine has a A button behind hand brake one

58b1b29e5e3af3b2bfce15a2d05f7738.jpg

at the risk of going full ****** would it only work and kick in if im on a steep enough hill? or would it kick in when ever you press the button? I have the button it just says not available when i push it

Does the handbrake release automatically if it is applied and you go to move off ? . I have seen a car where it didn't so this and the auto hill hold didn't work and it was a problem with the clutch master cylinder. There is a position sensor built into the cylinder and it can go faulty.
You need to scan the car with VCDS or if you have an android phone get a £5 bluetooth dongle and Carista http://www.caristaapp.com/

Yes totally with desert storm on this we could go round the house with some data

Worked out now that is doesn't come off automatically when i go to pull off but if i find biting point then flick the handbrake it'll release itself without having to press the brake.

Its no hill hold but its better than rolling into the back of someone

If you have your seat belt on and locked in you just drive off. Should be no need to use the button. It would seem you have an issue with you hand brake system. I would get it checked.

If it doesn't auto release when you go to drive away there is a good chance it's the position sensor in the clutch pedal. If you look in the measuring blocks for module 53 the electronic parking brake module you will probably find one for the clutch position sensor. You should be able to see the measurement as you move the clutch.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/g476-short-to-ground-fault.233505/