Electro-mechanical power assist 'fault' ?

Badger-a-s

Reaction score
Hi,
The electro-mechanical power assist fault indicator on my dash is lit, very faint yellow, ALL the time. It's even still lit when key is out and the car is locked with nobody in it (see pics). For this reason i think it's an electrical issue rather than an actual fault with the power assist. Has anyone ever seen this? We've had heavy rain recently, just wondering if some water may have got in somewhere. Any ideas? Leave it and see what happens??
It's a 2010 1.8TFSI
Thanks.

Upload 2020 1 16 17 40 59

Upload 2020 1 16 17 41 21

Normal for white clocks, is a board fault.

Reactions: Badger-a-s
Really? I've only had the car 4 months and the rear wash-wipe failed then a week later the heater blower and now this.
My old Golf didn't have a single fault in 6 years!
Do you suggest I just leave it? I see it every day and it annoys me! :grimacing:

Really? I've only had the car 4 months and the rear wash-wipe failed then a week later the heater blower and now this.
My old Golf didn't have a single fault in 6 years!
Do you suggest I just leave it? I see it every day and it annoys me! :grimacing:

I’m not sure to be honest, noticed it a long time ago and didn’t throw a fault, pretty sure it’s always been there. Lee said above it’s a common fault so I’m not gonna worry,
I didn’t even realise the light was on, I thought it was reflecting another light behind the cluster...

Faults like yours are just age related, everything has an expiry/usage date, if it’s really annoying you take it to an audi dealership, they should be able to tell you what’s wrong or clear the light etc
And don’t forget to tell me what happens ;)

QUOTE "I didn’t even realise the light was on, I thought it was reflecting another light behind the cluster..."

That's exactly the same as me, it's only now that it's so dark that I noticed it!

I'm going to try and live with it, it's like the first time you dink your alloy, you can't stop looking at it, but after a week or so you get used to it :frowning:

Haha yes very true, I’m due a haldex service soon so will mention it to them and see what they say, will keep you posted

Seems quite common. I'm going to check the steering rack connections then maybe the cluster PCB then I might pull the fuses one by one and see if it goes out, this might throw some light on it. Pretty sure it's the cluster though. I've seen second hand clusters for reasonable prices but wondered how much someone with VCDS is likely to charge to recode it for mileage and immobiliser etc??

It's s cluster PCB fault as advised on some facelifts, nothing to do with the rack, either cluster swap or repair.

Half hour at dealer, if new cluster it's £7-800 odd.

If used, Audi may not allot it to code as tried before & where they used to, they didn't do one for me as bag seemed to have either blocked it or had an issue with the system.

So used also needs mileage correction which is between £50 & £150 depending who & where.

ECU testing are a company to talk to but overall if it works & you're not bothered, then leave it for now.

If it can be shown to be a consistent & often faulted component, you could ask vosa or other owners to start a claim with Audi, but most don't want or need the hassle.

Half hour at dealer, if new cluster it's £7-800 odd.

If used, Audi may not allot it to code as tried before & where they used to, they didn't do one for me as bag seemed to have either blocked it or had an issue with the system.

So used also needs mileage correction which is between £50 & £150 depending who & where.

ECU testing are a company to talk to but overall if it works & you're not bothered, then leave it for now.

Thanks for that, I found a cheap cluster and just assumed it would be straight forward with VCDS. I found ECU Testing with a Google search last night. Might just ask for a quote. Cheers.

£120 plus vat & delivery to send both sets & copy mileage & immo data over.