Electrical fault! Multiple issues with my sportback...help

Gussy

Reaction score
Hey all,My 2005 sport back 1.9 TDI is acting weird! I've had a scan for similar problems but no one seem to have my exact symptoms. - driver side door fails to lock/unlock via key fob but locks fine with key. All other doors lock fine with key fob. When lock with key and use fob hazards work but if I don't lock drivers door manually no lights flash.- driver side wing mirror doesn't work at all but passenger side works fine.- driver window does go up and down but a bit juddery not like passenger window which again works fine (driver window goes down by itself if held but doesn't go up).Any ideas guys? I want to replace the loom from pillar to door but if it was that, everything would be dead? Any help would be really appreciated as its been ongoing for a while now.Cheers Gussy

Could be an intermittent connection though in the rubber boot.

Symptoms are constant not intermittent though? Do you mean the rubber boot between door and pillar?

Ahh right yeah but seeing as it's only the one door being effected i'd try a circuit test from both sides and move the door to as it may/may not connect on door movement.

Yeah I may try some fault finding with door open and closed. Will post what I find on here later. Cheers for reply mate.You think a con check between left and right boot connection will work?

it will rule out a broken wire for sure.To get to the core of a wire use a pin to pierce the covering then put the tester on that.

Got this on vagcomAddress 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: 8P0-959-801-MIN1.lbl Part No: 8P0 959 801 E Component: Tuersteuerger. H10 0040 Coding: 0000048 Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000 VCID: 3D753DC71DE12 Faults Found:00913 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Right Driver (E81) 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) 008 - Implausible Signal

If the door locks are made of cheese like the range before them (ie golfs/leons) could well be the door lock module.

I had that fault last weekend. it was an earth. Had it on both doors though so may not be the same issue.

Yeah autolatry that's what's so weird. I expected the faults to be apparent on both side as I presumed they are on the same circuit?

Just a quick update. I took apart the loom to find wires twisted and snapped!!! Have no idea how it happened but I'm going to be taking it out and inline splicing 2 of them. Hoping that sorts the issues! See pic

Attachments

• IMG_20131214_150730.jpg
    IMG_20131214_150730.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 354
Missed your post, and was about to say it's definitely the wires broken in the door loom! (you might find an old post of mine a few months ago with the same problem). Mine was exactly the same, door lock and mirror not working. And they had broken in the same way, they look almost as if they have been cut!

There is too much wire length between the door and the body so it obviously gets trapped and bent too much when it's closed and they break. I just soldered them back together and everythings back working ok now.

Yeah gunna do it on Friday. I'm going to order some wire just in case there's not enough to splice. What gauge wire do you think?

Also, has any one got a top tip to get that connector off?

The clip for the connector on the body is on the "back", just reach round with a finger and it's in the middle, press it in and waggle the connector out. Ignore the purple bit, it's nothing to do with the clip.

On my car I removed the boot completely so I could solder the wires back together. Now one issues with this is the boot on the door appears to clip round a loose piece of plastic inside the door itself so looks like it needs the door trim removing to put it back on properly (not got round to doing this yet!). To remove the boot completely I slid it over the connector once it's disconnected, it can be done when warming it up and using washing liquid on the connector so it slides through.

Update.

I took boot away from pillar and door and spliced an 18awg bit of wire in. Wrapped it up and fitted boot back together. All is well now!

Tips for anyone in future...if you take the boot away from the door the best thing to do in order to get it back on properly (avoiding water ingress) is to take door card off and remove speaker to get behind the plastic clip. Push it out from inside, fit boot over said plastic clip and push it back in.

Cheers for help guys

Still need to put the boot back on the door on mine!