Electrical adjustable seats, memory in key fob?

Fanoe

Reaction score
From reading other threads it sounds like there is a built-in memory in the key fob in cars with electrical adjustable seats - is this correct?
I'm asking because I have retrofitted our seats, but the seats doesn't change position with the different keys. Haven't checked with VCDS yet, but if someone can confirm that there should be memory, then I will have a small project in the near future :)

I don't think the electric seats in the A3 have a memory function do they? Rather useless if that's the case tbh.

As for the key, the car can identify each key individually and does remember certain setting for each, such as aircon temps. Not sure exactly which settings are remembered though.

I can confirm that the electric seats in the A3 do not have a memory function. I have them in my car basically because I prefer the electric adjustment to the manual and also my wife has arthritis in her hands which makes turning the backrest adjustment wheel almost impossible for her. They also make it very easy to make minor adjustment as you are driving.

For me personally the memory would not be that useful as I'm the only one who actually drives my car. My wife prefers to drive her own A1.

As far as I know the only thing the keys remember is the air-con settings.

I thought I had read somewhere that the seat position is saved to the key, guess not!

Thanks for the answers, even though they were not quite what I hoped for ;)

I thought I had read somewhere that the seat position is saved to the key, guess not!

Electric seats with two memories are available as part of the Convenience Package but only on the A4 and upwards. The package covers the adjustment of the seats and the door mirrors with each setting stored on each the keys. It's not a cheap package at £1430 on the SE model and £1195 on the S-Line. Quite a lot more than the £550 for the electric seats (without memory) on the A3 range.

Not sure if it's the same as used on the MQB based Octavia I have, but the memory seats on the Octavia can change depending upon which key unlocked it.

First you have to unlock the car, go into MMI and somewhere is an option to say use individual settings, it will then remember your seat and mirror settings when you lock it. Also think you have to do the same for the other key in MMI.

It's working quite nicely for me and my partner, the only annoyance is that they don't adjust until you open the drivers door so you have to wait a few seconds for the seat to move.

It's the lack of memory that stopped me speccing them. I'd have found them useful even to have a single button and single stored position, but otherwise I'm just spending £550 on seats that are slower to adjust.

I'm pretty sure I read you get memory seats if you have the automatic key fob as an optional extra.

I'm pretty sure I read you get memory seats if you have the automatic key fob as an optional extra.

There is nothing mentioned about any memory for the seats in the Price and Specification Guide under the Automatic Key or the Electric Seats so I assume nothing is available on the A3 range. A4 upwards Yes, but not for the A3. It is also an option on the Skoda Octavia (£700)

I first had electric seats on an earlier A3 because the manual forward/backward mechanism never seemed to lock properly and you could be driving along and the seat would sudden move back a notch. Since then I have always liked them an added the option to all my A3s.

Last edited:
It's the lack of memory that stopped me speccing them. I'd have found them useful even to have a single button and single stored position, but otherwise I'm just spending £550 on seats that are slower to adjust.

Yep, it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on electric seats with no memory, the lack of which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of them.

Each to his own. Personally I think it's £550 well spent. But then I would never pay £1,795 for a technology pack because I would never use it or £750 for B+O because I don't listen to music when I'm driving or £795 for LED headlights because I think the Xenons I have are more than adequate or £950 for a sun-roof, especially on a car with automatic air conditioning or any of the Active driving packages. But that is the great thing about buying a new Audi. We can all choose what options are important to us and we don't have to waste money paying for thinks that we don't want or will not use.

The only option I have on my current A3 which I would not order again is the £90 Hold Assist. I always leave it switched off as I prefer the way my s-tronic behaves without it. Everything else I'm pleased I added it to my order.

I appreciate you have no need nor desire for the options you've listed but the thing is, at least they offer a decent, tangible benefit for the outlay. The electric seats seem totally pointless to me without a memory function and you're paying £550 to be able to move the seats with a switch and motor rather than a knob or lever. It's like paying £550 for electric windows rather than a winding handle.

I appreciate your earlier comments about your wife's arthritis and it does kind of make sense in that scenario but, for the average buyer, I just can't see the logic of spending £550 on electric seats, nor can I believe Audi actually offers electric seats without a memory function in this day and age on such a "premium" marque, nor that they have the audacity to charge £550 for them!

All IMHO of course :D

All IMHO of course :D

Oh dear god, not this again :(

You are PilotAudi, and I claim my Five Pounds :)

I have have to disabuse you of the statement that Audi are a "Premium" Marque.
They are a mass market manufacturer :)

Reactions: JohnM100, h5djr and dragon
Even without memory I like the electric seats as I’m the type who adjust the seat ten times during a three hour drive – it’s just very convenient to just push a button. But yes, memory should be standard with electric seats, especially considering the prize.

Last edited:
I have have to disabuse you of the statement that Audi are a "Premium" Marque.
They are a mass market manufacturer :)

What's "mass market" though? Where's the threshold in production numbers?

Everything's relative of course. Audi aren't perceived as "premium" compared to the likes of Aston Martin or Bentley or even Porsche but are definitely perceived as being positioned above the likes of Ford or Vauxhall, just as are BMW or Mercedes. The point is that they charge a premium for their cars on the basis of quality and to provide an option like electric seats for £550 without even a memory function is disgraceful.

Even without memory I like the electric seats as I’m the type who adjust the seat ten times during a three hour drive – it’s just very convenient to just push a button. But yes, memory should be standard with electric seats, especially considering the prize.

But if memory was added the price would be quite a lot more. On the A4 the Convenience Package option is described at "Convenience package. Comprises electric front seats with memory function on driver’s side, electric lumbar support for both front seats, and folding and auto-dimming door mirrors with memory function. Two different positions can be stored, adapting seat longitudinal position, seat height, seat inclinations and backrest angle as well as the exterior mirror settings. The positions are assigned to the corresponding car key, and the system automatically adopts the relevant settings when the car is unlocked via the remote control. Mirrors also include kerb view function which lowers the passenger side mirror for increased visibility whilst reversing." and cost £1430.

If the memory function was added to the A3 it would no doubt be a similar price as the A4,

They label themselves as a premium car maker and all the car press do so as well. That's how they can charge more for features that come as standard with my focus....

They don't label themselves as anything. Oh OK, maybe in marketing blurb. That's advertising :)

It's mainly your perception :)

(and money and choice, choosing to buy into a lifestyle/product/engineering)

edit:
Is Haagen Daz a Premium ice-cream? It's just air and water and cream at the end of the day!
How about Ben & Jerrys ?!

are definitely perceived as being positioned above the likes of Ford or Vauxhall
Mmm. That's a great benchmark, isn't it ! Does that mean that anything "better" than a Ford or Vauxhall are a "Premium" Brand? :p

We just like to think we buy into a premium product, but the harsh reality is that it's all about Brand and Marketing. The under skin components of an Audi are the same components that can be found in a Seat and Skoda, its just the badge that raises perceptions. And maybe expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: h5djr
What's "mass market" though? Where's the threshold in production numbers?

Everything's relative of course. Audi aren't perceived as "premium" compared to the likes of Aston Martin or Bentley or even Porsche but are definitely perceived as being positioned above the likes of Ford or Vauxhall, just as are BMW or Mercedes. The point is that they charge a premium for their cars on the basis of quality and to provide an option like electric seats for £550 without even a memory function is disgraceful.

I agree with you that Audi are not in the same class as Porsche etc but the are definitely considered as above Ford and Vauxhall, and even VW, Seat and Skoda which use many of the same components and the exactly same engines and gearboxes. But if the Electric Seats price is "disgraceful" everyone has a very simple option - don't specify them. Personally I'm happy with the price for the convenience and the extra adjustments available.

But if memory was added the price would be quite a lot more. On the A4 the Convenience Package option is described at "Convenience package. Comprises electric front seats with memory function on driver’s side, electric lumbar support for both front seats, and folding and auto-dimming door mirrors with memory function. Two different positions can be stored, adapting seat longitudinal position, seat height, seat inclinations and backrest angle as well as the exterior mirror settings. The positions are assigned to the corresponding car key, and the system automatically adopts the relevant settings when the car is unlocked via the remote control. Mirrors also include kerb view function which lowers the passenger side mirror for increased visibility whilst reversing." and cost £1430.

If the memory function was added to the A3 it would no doubt be a similar price as the A4,

As mentioned further up it's available for less than that on the MQB based Octavia, which I have and has 3 button memory settings plus each key remembers its own last setting. It also remembers the mirror settings including the reversing mirror dip position.

Audi could do it if they wanted as it's available on the MQB platform for Skoda and VW (dunno about Seat?).

It's possible you may even be able to unlock it with VCDS?

They label themselves as a premium car maker and all the car press do so as well. That's how they can charge more for features that come as standard with my focus....

You have seat memory in your focus? I have a MK3 Titanium X with electric seats and there is no memory at all - aside from being slightly easier to make small adjustments, I felt the electric seats on my Focus were pointless and having found there was no memory on the A3 as well, decided it would be a waste of money for me there too. I really was surprised as I think (not 100% sure) that BMW 1 series and Mercedes A class offer seat memory as an option....

You have seat memory in your focus? I have a MK3 Titanium X with electric seats and there is no memory at all - aside from being slightly easier to make small adjustments, I felt the electric seats on my Focus were pointless and having found there was no memory on the A3 as well, decided it would be a waste of money for me there too. I really was surprised as I think (not 100% sure) that BMW 1 series and Mercedes A class offer seat memory as an option....

You are right about the BMW 1-series and the A-series Mercedes. On a BMW the option of Electric seats with memory function is £650 and on the A series Mercedes it's £790. For me personally that would mean I would have to pay more than for the electric seats than on my A3 as I'm not interested in them have a memory function as I'm the only person who drives my A3.

If memory seats are important to you perhaps you should consider the BMW or Mercedes or even a Skoda. All three have different things to offer. Again for me personally I much prefer the A3 with my own personal options.

Or if you really want an Audi there are some cracking deals to be had on A6's that have memory seats and even massaging seats!

Reactions: The Challinor
They don't label themselves as anything. Oh OK, maybe in marketing blurb. That's advertising :)

It's mainly your perception :)

(and money and choice, choosing to buy into a lifestyle/product/engineering)

edit:
Is Haagen Daz a Premium ice-cream? It's just air and water and cream at the end of the day!
How about Ben & Jerrys ?!

Mmm. That's a great benchmark, isn't it ! Does that mean that anything "better" than a Ford or Vauxhall are a "Premium" Brand? :p

We just like to think we buy into a premium product, but the harsh reality is that it's all about Brand and Marketing. The under skin components of an Audi are the same components that can be found in a Seat and Skoda, its just the badge that raises perceptions. And maybe expectations.

Or maybe your perception as well?

No they don't, but I wasn't exactly referring to the seats, at least the Focus comes with electric ones as standard, and the Mondeo has a memory version as a £425 option. However the focus tit x does have ambient lighting and sat nav etc etc all included . Yes I also thought electric seats are a waste of time....

If memory seats are important to you perhaps you should consider the BMW or Mercedes or even a Skoda. All three have different things to offer. Again for me personally I much prefer the A3 with my own personal options.

They are important to me, but not important enough to go with the 1 series or A Class.... much preferred the A3 as an overall package.

Or if you really want an Audi there are some cracking deals to be had on A6's that have memory seats and even massaging seats!

I'm getting the A3 through a company car scheme which rules the A6 out for me.... do like the sound of a quick massage on a long journey though ;)

I specced advance key and memory seats on my 2014 S3 and was disappointed that there is no seat memory function.

This is what I had on my 2011 S4 and I loved the convenience. When you are sharing the car with someone else, it meant you can always get the seat back to the right position!
The 1 & 2 buttons were cools too, as it meant you could leave the other keys at home.

A big waste of 500 quid in my opinion for the electric seat option (unless your health requires it).

However, the advance key option is well worth the money just for the fact that it won't let you lock the keys inside the car!

It's a shame that the key blade isn't inside the key like on the A4 and A6 though or that there is no S3 logo on the fob - more cost cutting by Audi!

I also like the fact that some key fobs on other marques charge by induction. I am surprised Audi hasn't done that yet!

Interesting comments - in Australia the electric seats are standard on the S3, although most S3s here have the super sports seats.
I was also surprised that it had no memory function.

As for Audi being a premium marque, as VW markets itself here a premium European brand, you can imagine how Audi is perceived.