Electric Windows!!

Blackcupraa

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Today's issue (not had one for a long time).

Got in the car at lunch time and put the drivers window down, heard a clunk and the window dropped pretty quick, I pressed it back up and it slowly came back up making a god awful noise (like broken glass) however the window itself is fine, not broken, smashed or craked.

Is this the window regulator? I belive the motor is fine as it did come up using the button (I had to help it on the last inch or so).

Car is a 1999 Audi S3 APY.

it could be the clips holding your glass to the regulator frame, these are a common problem and happened to me, the only way to find out is to take your door car of and have a look, it only takes 2min to remove the door card,

if it is the clips there are two at the bottom of the window and they fasten to the wires behind, just have a feel to see if its snapped, then buy new ones or fix with cable ties like I did, 1 year on and it’s still fine

Hi Danny,

I'll have a look after work, The sound of Cable Ties intrigues me, better than £50+ for a regulator and £15 for some plastic clips.

Hi Danny,

I'll have a look after work, The sound of Cable Ties intrigues me, better than £50+ for a regulator and £15 for some plastic clips.

ye that was my thoughts, i just drilled four holes and criss crossed the cable ties to hold the clip

Okay, door card removed.

At the bottom of the door there is a white plastic connection with a spring attached (goes to motor) which then leads to the bicycle cable (what is it's proper name?) which goes around the "sub frame" of the door, this then has a black covering over the bicycle cable which has corroded in the connector on the bottom left of the door, as you look at it from the inside.

I assume this means I need £50s worth of regulator?

Just what I needed to read. Cheers guys. This has happened to me. Might have a crack at this this weekend.