Electric folding mirrors

Andy Shipton

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
does any one have the same problem with their folding mirrors.
i have this option fitted to my sportback and now the drivers mirror is folding about 3 seconds slower than the passangers mirror,and the motor sounds rough.(knowing Audi they will say it is within limits)
has anybody had the same problem and if so what did you do about it, i am thinking about returning it back to the dealer to put the problem right

There have been problems with mirrors not folding out together and failing in the end. Although "touch wood" ours are still working fine. Might be worth having a search on this forum and www.tyresmoke.net.

This has occured to several owners, myself included. It is a known fault.

I've had mine replaced twice now under warrantee. Even with the current fix the motor sounds like it has to work harder than the nearside mirror.

Go back to the dealer and get them to sort it.

Mine have been replaced once and on the next service they will be replaced again as they are **** and constantly fail on mine.

Thanks for all the replys, will have to go to the dealer and get them replaced

Mine has always been slower on the driver's side ever since delivery.

Do they replace for this or only if they fail to fold - mine have never not folded, just one is slower than the other.

Mine are fine but don't really use them that often as can never be bothered to put the car in the garage always sleeps on the drive, I did notice you can't use them whilst moving which is pretty naff, I was travelling down a narrow lane the other day with literally just enough room to pass the oncoming traffic so this would have been useful.

When you say you can't use them whilst moving, I presume they fold out when the ignition is switched on and fold back in again when it's switched off or the key is removed (if so, which).

I'd imagine that they designed it this way for convenience, so you can leave the switch in the "fold" position and the mirrors will fold away automatically whenever you leave the car. This would of course have the side effect of not being able to have them folded whilst moving, as you describe.

I spose the best solution would be to have two positions, one for auto-folding and one for folded-no-matter-what, just like the auto-lights have off/auto/on

You would 'presume' wrong they do no such thing, they fold in and out by a button and thats only when they feel like it

Have the same problem on my A4. The drivers mirror is slower than the passenger one and is getting worse. It's lagged behind since new.

Have to book the car in for clutch and rattles so might as well add this to the list.

They only fold out on the move, not in. Agreed, this is daft as as mentioned, would be nice to fold in on narrow streets wthout having to come to a stop first.

Seems the slower driver's side mirror is the norm for the majority of us, depends whether they deem it to warrant a warrenty claim.

This is the same even after they replace the regulator (thingy), must be a software feature! You get used to it after a while. Maybe it does it for a reason?! God knows.

Had my driver's one replaced as it was slower and also randomly stopped opening up fully. Replacement one is still slow, but doesn't sound as if the battery is dying and always opens fully now. Replaced without question by dealer.

Re closing on the move, they do close but only at very slow speeds (about 10mph at a guess).

Mine don't always fold in/out - have to start/stop the ignition sometimes to coax them.

If they do fail can you manually push/pull them in/out?????

jasonmymail said:
Mine don't always fold in/out - have to start/stop the ignition sometimes to coax them.

If they do fail can you manually push/pull them in/out?????
Just dump it at the dealer and tell them to fix it.

So is the general consensus then that if your mirrors always fold in and out but the driver mirror is slower that this is the norm so is not worth moaning about and is unlikely to be classed as a warranty item?