Electric Folding Mirrors

mjcourtney

Reaction score
I'm just looking at finalising the spec of a new A4 as a replacement for my A3. The A3 has the optional electric folding mirrors which can be configured to fold in when the car is locked. The description of the same option on the A4 doesn't seem to mention this - does anyone know if it's possible?

6XE - Electric Folding Door Mirrors (£225)
  • Electrically folding adjustable and heated
  • With built-in LED side indicators
  • Automatic kerb view dipping function on the passenger side when reverse gear is selected

I have this on my new A4 ( which I haven't got yet). The salesman told me they do fold when you lock the car, but I have yet to prove that for myself.

Yeah they will fold automatically when you lock the car and unfold when the engine is started. You might have to turn this on in the mmi car settings. Also, when using the dipping, set the switch on the door handle to that mirror then adjust where you wish the position of the mirror to be in whilst reverse is selected...

Totally wish I would have selected this option. Purely for the auto dip in reverse...

Yes, I have them. My dealer configured it for me on the mmi during handover. There is a check box in vehicle settings.

Reactions: mjcourtney
Agreed. I nearly didn't bother but if you want the parking pack you apparently need them... *Sigh*

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

'Tis the mysterious way of Audi unfortunately, however I am sure other premium brands are similar. I guess you could always buy a ford, a kia or hyundai that has everything bar the kitchen sink...

Having folding mirrors as standard on the Golf it's something I would rather spec on the A4 too! Feel it's crazy to be an option also! Did not know parking pack requires it, but MY17 models have on-screen radar parking sensors (like Golf) and am happy enough with that

Last edited:
@maui I know what you mean. We've got a MY16 VW Golf Match and MY16 B9 A4 Avant and theres a load of good kit on a mid-range hatchback (within the same group) that didn't come in the premium Audi as standard.

Off the top of my head: touchscreen multimedia (with sat nav in the newer ones), adaptive cruise control, front and rear parking sensors with onscreen assistance, folding mirrors that adjust when in reverse, full multi-function controls on steering wheel

And storage! Didn't think I'd miss a simple drivers knee cubby hole for change for parking, sunglasses holder, and a lack of seat back pockets and drinks holders for the rear passengers.

Just as well the A4 is a ****** good car to drive :)

Quite, if you want the toys for free buy a passat. Oh but they only come with a diesel engine, no petrol option, unless you chose a hybrid, and no engine greater than a 2.0l.
Of course there is always a Seat or Skoda if you wish to stay with VAG...

True but it just seems strange that things that are becoming more standard are still high cost options on a premium brand.

Yep - am using a 64 plate Golf GT atm and it's nice, like the drive and adaptive cruise control.

I have done a LOT of looking around, I did get some pricing on the Passat / Skoda, but what has drawn me to the A4 so much is he infotainment / MMI is simply better than anything else I've tried out there. The VW system is just frustrating, and the virtual cockpit functionality weak in comparison (my biggest beef being slow / no traffic based navigation).

Sure I can continue using my phone, but in the A4 I genuinely feel that I can put the phone under the armrest and forget about it.

True but it just seems strange that things that are becoming more standard are still high cost options on a premium brand.
Well perhaps its better to list what the car comes with instead of what individuals prefer to have, at least we have a choice and there are many that don't want folding mirrors....

Good point, cuke. I specc'd them for two reasons: first because I want the facility to lower the near side wing mirror when parallel parking. I have lost sleep over kerbing the alloys on my A3 and I'll try anything that reduces the risk of the same thing happening on the new vehicle. The second reason is that I am slightly nervous about parking a wider car in certain car parks and reducing the width by a fraction gives me a bit of comfort that side swipes and scrapes might be less likely. However, I did have a car in the past that had folding mirrors and I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I used them, so I've never bothered with them since!

Reactions: cuke2u
There is also the point that once you lock the car with the zapper, as most folk do, once you can see the mirrors folded in you know it is locked for sure.

Reactions: Bungle17, iambu and wideboybloke
There is also the point that once you lock the car with the zapper, as most folk do, once you can see the mirrors folded in you know it is locked for sure.
lol I've lost count of how many times I've walked off from the car only to think 100yards away "Did I lock it??", just glance back and if the mirrors are tucked in then yes I have :)

Reactions: cppp and mjcourtney