Electric folding mirror problem

steve184

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the electric folding mirrors have some form of failsafe mechanism in them to prevent damage if they are forced inwards, ie by hitting something?

Reason i ask is i had an unfortunate coming together with a pigeon last night - ****** thing flew straight at my car - hit mirror, caused mirror glass to pop out and hit side window (causing big scratch). At first thought the mirror was kaput as it was all free moving, however after twisting the fold in/out button a couple of times it seems to be folding in and out again (and the glass just clipped back in as was un-broken). Can't work out now if the mirror is a little bit more noisy folding out/in now or whether i'm imagining - so just wondered if anyone knew for sure that forcing inwards against their will will/won't damage anything? Normal non fold in mirrors generally have some sort of spring mechanism to protect against this - wondered if something similar here.

Also scratch on glass - not so much as a deep scratch more of a graze or 'etch' on surface of window - anyone successfully had a scratch or graze polished out of glass or is it just not possible - seems to be kits avaialble on web but don't know how effective these are?

Other option i guess is to get a new window. Thing is i want original glass (pilkington, with audi logo etc so it matches the other glass) - if i order from audi themselves (as opposed to autoglass etc) will i get an exact replacement piece of glass complete with correct branding/coding etc?

Maybe i'm better getting an original pice of glass from a breakers yard???

grrrrrrrrrr ****** bird.

birds mate, cant live with em....thats it!!

um, you can have certain scratches polished out depending on the depth of the scratch, id go onto the detailing section for that.....

I wouldnt have thought it would damage the mech as it still works correctly, i used to manually fold mine in a lot until i found out i had electric folding and mine are still sweet

when i had folding mirrors they were sprung loaded too. had to be sort of twanged back into place after a knock that's all. much tougher sprung than normal mirrors they

My wife had a run in with a focus a few years back. Twated the passenger wing mirror, broke the mirror but not the housing. Only rhing out of place is that the housing has more movement in it but apart from that it still stays on even doing 150, so lm told. As for the scratch, l bought a glass polishing kit for another reason but never got round to using it, l would probably make a **** of it and it would look worse, probably why l havent used the leather repair kit either.

am a windscreen fitter you could polish the scratch out but you will still see signs of it so its better to get a new glass

Does anybody know if the electric folding mirrors have some form of failsafe mechanism in them to prevent damage if they are forced inwards, ie by hitting something?

Reason i ask is i had an unfortunate coming together with a pigeon last night - ****** thing flew straight at my car - hit mirror, caused mirror glass to pop out and hit side window (causing big scratch). At first thought the mirror was kaput as it was all free moving, however after twisting the fold in/out button a couple of times it seems to be folding in and out again (and the glass just clipped back in as was un-broken). Can't work out now if the mirror is a little bit more noisy folding out/in now or whether i'm imagining - so just wondered if anyone knew for sure that forcing inwards against their will will/won't damage anything? Normal non fold in mirrors generally have some sort of spring mechanism to protect against this - wondered if something similar here.

Also scratch on glass - not so much as a deep scratch more of a graze or 'etch' on surface of window - anyone successfully had a scratch or graze polished out of glass or is it just not possible - seems to be kits avaialble on web but don't know how effective these are?

Other option i guess is to get a new window. Thing is i want original glass (pilkington, with audi logo etc so it matches the other glass) - if i order from audi themselves (as opposed to autoglass etc) will i get an exact replacement piece of glass complete with correct branding/coding etc?

Maybe i'm better getting an original pice of glass from a breakers yard???

grrrrrrrrrr ****** bird.

More importantly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hows the Pigeon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!