Eibach Pro Kit Creaking

ac2003

Reaction score
My local garage fitted me some Eibach Pro kit springs a couple of days ago and there is a creaking sound coming from the front drivers side when on bumpy surfaces and turning the steering wheel. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I can also reproduce the noise if i push down on the driver side bonnet. I've mentioned it to the garage and they have said see whats its like after a week. I've read lots of accounts online with many different solutions but as they are on different cars i was wondering if anyone here had more specific knowledge? Thanks.

P.S Apart from this i love them. They give a great stance and the car is way less harsh. Its smoother, still firm but not so crashy like before.

Reactions: batch
Probably not seated properly. I've read of a few cases like this. Think there's a knack to seating them properly.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks Don. Anything i can do to check or re-seat them myself or is it back to the garage?

Reactions: Rob2k68
How many miles has the car done ?

It's well worth having the top mounts and bearings replaced when fitting replacement springs. If the noise is a clunk at full lock could well be these.

If you get a squeak at low speed over bumps then it's probably the lower control arm bushes - there is a TSB to lube these. Mine does this but I'll probably replace them with poly bushes at some point.

Thanks Don. Anything i can do to check or re-seat them myself or is it back to the garage?
Best to take it back to the garage mate. I'd imagine you'll need to take the load off them to do it.

Reactions: ac2003
50k @Rob2k68. The noise is hard to describe really but i would say its more of a continual squeak/creak than a definite clunk. Its always there really at low speed on rough roads and higher speeds, again when the road is a bit rough. Turning the wheel makes the sound when stationary and before full lock.

Mine has developed a definite clunking noise when steering at slow speed. Audi changed the top mounts which made no difference. They've had it back again and failed to diagnose the problem.

To my ear, it sounds like drop links or steering rack.

Mine has developed a definite clunking noise when steering at slow speed. Audi changed the top mounts which made no difference. They've had it back again and failed to diagnose the problem.

To my ear, it sounds like drop links or steering rack.

Clunking could be spring slap or binding. Progressive springs are sometimes prone to slap and binding.

Mine is E10-15-021-09-22. This is for my 8VA 1.6TDI. It's hard to describe the noise really, it could be a clunk. I read about the slap effect and seen the isolators sold. I may test by attaching something soft between the top 2 coils to see if that makes any difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the sport supension on my a A3 Sedan with Bilstein PSS (B14) adjustables. At first I adjusted it all the way down which would be about 30mm lower than the S3. Had annoying squaeks and clunks from both front and rear spings at low speeds and when turning to full right/left. I raised the car 10mm and front noise is gone, just some noise from rear right spring over speed bumps etc. Im going to raise all 4 spings another 10mm or so to abouit S3 ride height and see what happens. I guess its the geometry of the suspnsion and the way sthe springs "sit" on the top mounts when the car is lowered too much (front and rear camber changes a lot) that causes the noises.

Update: Taken the car back to the garage twice. First time they checked the seating, bushes and nuts which were all ok so greased up various bits with the suspension in situe. No joy. Second time they took it all apart, greased up in the top mount, reassembled and bingo. So it was either the grease or first time assembly not quite right. Either way it's gone and hopefully staying away!

Reactions: Don76, Gazwould and Rob2k68
AC, what you describe is exactly what has happening to my car recently on the Eibach lowering springs, so thanks for this I will tell them about this post. There was a lot of movement in the front shocks so they advised me to upgrade the suspension. So I've ordered the Bilstein B8 kit, getting it fitted today. Looking forward to picking it up, hopefully it is resolved and the suspension has improved.

Update: Bilstein B8 shocks with Eibach lowering springs have been fitted and what a massive improvement to the handling it has made. I am really shocked at the difference actually. Really pleased! It was a pricey route but worth it!

However when dry steering when car is stationary, turning towards full lock either side, I am still getting a creaking sound. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Someone mentioned it could be the steering column coupling that needs lubricating?

help would be much appreciated!