Eibach or H&R

EAGLE79

Reaction score
Gents,

What reccomendations do you have for lower springs for an 8P S3?

The choice is between the two manufacturers listed above unless someone knows of anyone better?

Can't really afford Coilovers at the mo.

I believe these will give me 25mm lovwer than my stock car now?

Info and help appreciated!

Paul

Very Happy with the H&R on my car eagle.
Town driving is actually marginally more supple, but at speed and on big compressions you can tell it's firmer. I have the ARB's on my car to which make a big difference too.
Will be on track at Audi Driver and will know more about the improvements then!!!

Ride height has coped with all the speed bumps and pot holes on the roads round me and some of them are mahoosive!

Paul as you know i got Eibachs and i love the ride they give, i'd reccomend Eibachs to anyone!

As for 25mm lower i don't think that is correct as the S3 is already 25mm or so lower anyway.

Springs are quoted for a standard A3 so techinically mine has been lowered 5mm with 25mm springs as the S-Line is already 20mm lower than standard.

As far as I'm aware (well I checked very earlier on in the year) Eibach only do a kit wait for it.........for the front only!!

They had tried doing some rear springs and they couldn't get the ride right (Damian will back me up when we spoke about this last year), they may have a kit now but I have H + R and cant fault them so I'd say go for them.

H&R kit for the S3 is deffo 25mm lower than a standard S3

Approx cost to but and fitted?

jamS3, How much lower is your S3 now from standard S3?

Eagle - my original review on the suspension with before and after pics:

On to the H&R suspension.

So the drive back from Southampton was an eye opener. I've been really worried about how the car would ride after the springs, expecting it to be a back breaker. Well, it's actually far from it! It is firmer, but it rides out the edges of bumps better than the original springs, so the ride quality isn't much different.... a huge relief for me!
The ARB's are a bit of a pain to fit, requiring the subframe to be dropped at the front, making it quite a long job (compared to just springs).

Everything feels much tighter, in fact the turning in to Regals car park goes up a short steep(ish) incline, and when Chris came back from test driving it, I noticed the rear wheel lifting off the ground, so everything is a for more tightly set up - I'm going to want some pic's from Croft of it riding on 3 wheels :rock:

The car barely squats under acceleration (considering its accelerating a lot harder now!) or dives under braking and role in corners is all but eliminated.
I now also understand what JamS3 and Phantom have been going on about when they were saying the rear end feels more secure. There is no squirming or anything. The only thing I would say is it's slightly lower than I'd of ideally liked - but small price to pay for the improvement it's given.

Anyway, a few before and afters:
P1010861.jpg

P1010568.jpg

P1010866.jpg

P1010565NR.jpg

P1010860.jpg

P1010570NR.jpg

P1010862.jpg

P1010576NR.jpg

P1010865.jpg

P1010573NR.jpg

P1010868.jpg

P1010869.jpg

Was really pleased with the ride and look on the H&R springs..

Jonny

jamie,

that looks sweet mate!

Gettin the urge to do this now..... gettin my exhaust done early next month and then that will be next...

The H + R springs are more or less the same size (length) as the standard ones when you compare them on the floor.

They however are more springy than the standard hence the ride height and the surprisingly comfy ride.

It would have been easy to have made much shorter rock hard springs but glad they havent done this and done the job proprerly instead!

Eagle - If you can justify the ARB's as well, they are worth doing too.

I was lucky - I caught JonnyC in one of his transitions and got the springs and ARB's for a really good Price (thanks again Jonny), but I will warn you, the ARB'sa re beatch of a job and most people we're quoting between £250 to £300 just to fit.... worth bearing in mind!

Lol my pleasure.. Suppose im going through another transitions as we speak.. :rolleyes: Arrgh..

Speedlines in Anthracite with the V1's.. Ohh mate!! Theres an idea for ya!! :beerchug:

is the S3 suspension set up the same as the 2.0T FSI?

Surely it must be

Not 100% sure mate.
I think elements are made from aluminium to save weight, obviously dampers and springs will be different.

My Eibach springs will be up for sale mid october, will have done less than 1500miles!

They give a brilliant ride and will lower 25mm from standard.

I'm going to have a guess here - v1 coilovers from a certain white S3 by any chance?

Get somone who is confident in working on cars and get them to help you

Spring change is easy enough, the back is extremely simple but the front is slightly more difficult and that is where I would suggest help if you have never done it before