Egt sensor fault code

Method

Reaction score
Hi.
Couple weeks ago i cleared the fault codes, but some of it coming back.
Code: P1453 - Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor /open circuit/ short circuit to B+
I know this is the egt sensor fault, just im corious because i readed on some page and somebody said if
you using injector cleaner or other product then the sensor can drop fault codes... This is true?
Thanks.

P1453 AUDI Possible Causes
  • Faulty Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Reactions: Method
Open circuit suggests wiring related issue or that the EGT sensor is simply unplugged... when faulty they typically fault with an implausible signal code...

I would first check if its plugged in...

As for injector cleaning related issues then any codes from that would revolve around fuelling so AFR (too lean/rich) or trims as a rule as the 'cleaner' could dislodge deposits that actually clog the injector...

Your EGT fault code has nothing to do with the use of injector cleaning products...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Method and MPH
Open circuit suggests wiring related issue or that the EGT sensor is simply unplugged... when faulty they typically fault with an implausible signal code...

I would first check if its plugged in...

As for injector cleaning related issues then any codes from that would revolve around fuelling so AFR (too lean/rich) or trims as a rule as the 'cleaner' could dislodge deposits that actually clog the injector...

Your EGT fault code has nothing to do with the use of injector cleaning products...

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty!
Now it is perfectly understandable. I just finished my dashboard soldering, so i dont want a extra job today, thats why i asked before i was doing it.
Yeh, i was find a thread too, there is somebody said a connector with the broken clips can cause this.
Ok, im going too check that.

Broken clips can lead to the plug walking out and disconnecting which could cause this code indirectly yeah

<tuffty/>

Hi.
Couple weeks ago i cleared the fault codes, but some of it coming back.
Code: P1453 - Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor /open circuit/ short circuit to B+
I know this is the egt sensor fault, just im corious because i readed on some page and somebody said if
you using injector cleaner or other product then the sensor can drop fault codes... This is true?
Thanks.
injector cleaner cant cause this fault.
check connections on sensor first.. if still dead, you may be able to peal apart its control box under the inlet mani and possibly resolder the type k thermocouple wires onto the boards (some are potted tho and impossible to do)

Reactions: Method and desertstorm
injector cleaner cant cause this fault.
check connections on sensor first.. if still dead, you may be able to peal apart its control box under the inlet mani and possibly resolder the type k thermocouple wires onto the boards (some are potted tho and impossible to do)

Thanks.
Checked connector and cleaned it, everything looking good there, but still the same. Next week i gonna do the soldering part.
If it not gonna work, then how can i reach the sensor itself? If i know well, then its in the turbo housing. Have to take down the turbo inlet pipe?

There are two kinds of potting for the sensor electronics. Mine was like a silicon jelly so very easy to see whats going on and clear out the jelly to solder the pins. I believe later ones are a solid black potting agent.

Thanks.
Checked connector and cleaned it, everything looking good there, but still the same. Next week i gonna do the soldering part.
If it not gonna work, then how can i reach the sensor itself? If i know well, then its in the turbo housing. Have to take down the turbo inlet pipe?
I already find it.

There are two kinds of potting for the sensor electronics. Mine was like a silicon jelly so very easy to see whats going on and clear out the jelly to solder the pins. I believe later ones are a solid black potting agent.
What later ones? Mine S3 8L AMK 2001.07 Facelift.

My TT is 2001 so you may be lucky. You just need to prise the lid of the sensor box and have a look inside.

My TT is 2001 so you may be lucky. You just need to prise the lid of the sensor box and have a look inside.

I was checked today. Halfway success, its the same trasnparent silicon inside. Bad thing, i cant opened the black box gently so i broked the top cover piece. Maybe i can fix it somehow. Here is the picture, are you saw something wrong whit it? The pins looks bad.

IMG 0845

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
Definitely look like a possible dry joint on the one pin.you need to remove the jelly from around the 5 pins and reflow the solder on those joints. You can silicon the box back up . You shouldn't be having to open it again.

Definitely look like a possible dry joint on the one pin.you need to remove the jelly from around the 5 pins and reflow the solder on those joints. You can silicon the box back up . You shouldn't be having to open it again.

I will do it on the weekend. I already ordered the silicon and really hope it gonna work. Used ones are also very expensive.

Ok, i already fixed, i mean i did the resoldering part. No fault code 2 days ago, before popped up after cleaned the faults.
But the live data show me the same numbers 30, if i step on the throttle then immediately 1110. Then what is wrong now?