1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

EGT Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1

TimWills28 Mar 28, 2017

1. TimWills28

TimWills28 Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver VCDS Map User S-line owners group TDi Audi A3

Hi All,

Got glow plug popping up and EML on constantly now after resetting..

VCDS reports the EGT SENSOR on bank 1 sensor 1 is shot.

Which one is this?

There are 2 visible sensors on the top which are near the turbo...
    [​IMG]

And there are some on the exhaust I believe..hope it's not those

Engine is 2.0TDI 150 2013

Help anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. batch

batch Well-Known Member Team Glacier Audi S3 quattro

Hi Tim, I THINK it will be the one on the right of the picture (white pipe wrap) as the other one, I THINK, is the primary O2 sensor (going from my S3).

TimWills28 likes this.
  4. TimWills28

TimWills28 Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver VCDS Map User S-line owners group TDi Audi A3

Cheers mate...seeking clarity before I make purchase...

batch likes this.
  5. batch

Yeah in hindsight I wasn't much help!

TimWills28 likes this.
  6. TimWills28

Haha still undecided, removed the plug that was high and ran VCDS measuring blocks and all seemed to be run normal.

[​IMG]

Was stuck at 1000degrees before...

7. TimWills28

Spoke to soon, lights started flashing again

8. TimWills28

Took out all 3 plugs and was still get changing readings on the log..not sure if it's brown orange or black plug needs to be replaced

9. TimWills28

May have to buy all 3 :(

10. batch

Do
    Do one at a time mate, then at least you can return the two ones that aren't used?

11. GSB

GSB Beware of the Leopard... Gold Supporter Team Navarra Audi S3 quattro Manual

My knowledge of diesel control tech is a bit limited, but by convention, generally bank 1 sensor 1 will be the first sensor in the gas flow from the cylinder head. Follow the gas flow, and the first one you get to, that's your boy.

I'm assuming there is only one bank, and VAG hasnt done what Toyota did and have the ECU run a four cylinder engine as 2 entirely separate banks banks of 2 cylinders (very confusing for fault finding), so sensor 1 will be the exhaust manifold / turbine inlet side, sensor 2 will be turbine outlet, but before the DPF/Catalyst/whatever-sorcery-VAG-install-to-pretend-diesels-are-green, and sensor 3 will be at the outlet of the magic box of tricks, presumably under the car somewhere.

DJAlix and TimWills28 like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. TimWills28

Sweet with help from you guys and @DJAlix I know the exact Sensor it's the one on the turbo so hopefully that ends it all! Thanks

GSB and DJAlix like this.
  14. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Hi, As stated above sensor 1 is the first sensor in the exhaust flow and is pre turbo and is usually located in the turbine housing on the turbo.
    You can see in that shot of the VCDS fault info that the raw value of the turbine inlet sensor is 1000 degrees C. This is obviously incorrect and is what is read when the sensor is open circuit. Should read something like 130 to 150 degrees based on the other readings.
    On a 4cly engine there is just the 1 bank. On a V8 engine with twin turbos you would have 2 banks of sensors one for each turbo.

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sin.../145/subcategory/145050/part_id/254122/lang/e

The part number appears to be
    04L906088

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vrvws-Sensor-Crb-2-0-Tdi-Mk7-Golf-04l906088-Temp-Sensor-/142309369325?

GSB and TimWills28 like this.
  15. TimWills28

Perfect order that, should be here tomorrow!

batch likes this.
  16. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Plug it in first and make sure the reading looks reasonable and the fault clears, before you goto the trouble of replacing it.

17. TimWills28

Most definitely have felt around today, not sure if a big spanner can get down there or if I need a bag tool