EGR valve location on 3.0 v6 tdi engine

.Jas.

Reaction score
Hi all, I want to clean my EGR valve to see if it helps with some cold running issues I have at the moment.

I've searched posts for this, but can't find any answer as to where the damn thing is located on the 3.0 v6 engine!
My best guess is that it's in the middle towards the front, but I'm not sure, any ideas? Pictures would help if possible.

Also, how easy is it to remove, clean and refit, has anyone done this before?

Cheers

Are you having it replaced or completely removed and blanked off?

Any help appreciated if you can find where it is!

I'm just having it disabled. Little point in having it blanked off or removed as if it's delected from the ECU code it remains closed permenantly. Then if it needs to be re-enabled (for any reason), it should just be a case of re-instating the code (after cleaning it most probably). I'll keep you posted on Saturday

Hi Jas, sorry for the late reply, had a hectic weekend. I didn't manage to find the exact location of the EGR as it was just disabled in the ECU and not removed. Sorry I could be of no help. If you take the cover off the engine and follow the piping from the turbo it should be fairly easy to find...

It is between the cylinder banks, attached to the egr cooler next to the right hand inlet manifold.

Look for the shiny silver actuator with a rubber hose going to it...

Cheers guys, I think I know where it is, and it looks almost impossible to remove! :sadlike:

not as bad as you think to remove - get a copy of the elsa off the bay and it shows you- i can't work out how to post pictures on the forum.

Hi, I need some help guys.

I keep getting these fault codes;

2 Faults Found:
4807 - EGR System: Insufficient Flow
P0401 00 [096] - Short to Ground

5215 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
P0087 00 [032] - Cannot Be Tested at this Time

Car has done 100k miles/160k km, and I'm thinking it is EGR valve that need to be cleaned. What do you think?

Engine bay looks like a rats nest and I'm not really sure where to look fot the EGR valve :)
I hope someone wiser can show me, here is the pic of engine:

I got mine blanked and deleted from the ecu roughly located r/h side towards front of engine, aproxx 1 1/2 inch dia braided pipe between exh and inlet, i'll send you a pic if you pm me as i still cannot post pics or vids on here!
Carl

Hi, I need some help guys.

I keep getting these fault codes;

2 Faults Found:
4807 - EGR System: Insufficient Flow
P0401 00 [096] - Short to Ground

5215 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
P0087 00 [032] - Cannot Be Tested at this Time

Car has done 100k miles/160k km, and I'm thinking it is EGR valve that need to be cleaned. What do you think?

Engine bay looks like a rats nest and I'm not really sure where to look fot the EGR valve :)
I hope someone wiser can show me, here is the pic of engine:

Perhaps no use now as you posted so long ago but I came to this thread via a google search and thought perhaps place the info for if another in future turn up...

CAPALaterV6EGR_zps682766b7.jpg

Yours to me looks like the later engine code CAPA 3.0 TDi V6 (same for later 2.7 TDI engine code CAMA & CAMB)

Red box is electronic EGR control valve... green box is the vacuum operated EGR cooling flap solenoid...

I blanked mine, but when the car went in for some work I got them to remove the EGR and clean it - but it was already clean, so I unblanked it again. Getting to the location of the EGR was a bit too much for me.

mongs - it might be worth blanking it first to see if it helps, it's an easy job to blank it. It will bring the engine light on though.

I did change the EGR valve, seems like the problem is (almost) gone. I've driven at least 10tkm with it and only once have gotten the same error code (no MIL light)
The EGR I removed, wasn't busted or clogged but the replacement valve has worked better (error-free). Maybe it was electrical faul in the EGR, since it the flap is PWM-controlled..