Egr valve, clean out and keep or blank off? p's & c's?

D17 JLN

Reaction score
Right guys im planning on attacking the egr valve on the weekend as my engine management light had come up and its stating egr valve...
Obviously if its not ****ed and in need of a new one, im gunna clean it out, but would you guys recommend i then clean it out and leave it the way it is, or blank it off? also if i do blank it off what are the pro's and con's can it affect the car baddly in any way?

I have just blanked mine off and had it mapped out. Cant think of any cons what so ever.
Pros are ofc cleaner intake and you don't have to worry about it failing. I also removed the cooler so I don't need to worry about that either. Doesn't affect the MOT either mine just flew through :)

Surely they are there for a reason though?

took all my egr system of and had it mapped out no problems with mot

ok cheers for the replies maybe ill blank it out and get it mapped off then :)

not sure if i need a new one mate just cleaning out but ill find out on the weekend lol, ill probably just blank it off but ill let you know if i need one haha

Is this the same as the N249? I have recently had an error code up and it says my n249 is ****** and I have lost power

Im not sure about the code sorry mate when i had it plugged into a tester it just came up as egr valve

Surely they are there for a reason though?

They are there to reduce nox emissions which is tested in mainland Europe but not here in the UK...i think?

I'm sure somebody will correct me if i'm wrong :)

EGR gasses are also inert, which means less combustible content in the cylinder, which in turn means lower cylinder temperatures and reduced risk of hot spots on pistons.

However, plenty of people run with EGR disabled/removed/mapped out without issue. The pro's being mentioned above with cleaner running etc.

I've found on mine that with gentle driving followed by hard acceleration there was a fair amount of smoke as it cleared it out, until I disabled the EGR valve. Now, that no longer happens.