EGR valve broken

maxwan

Reaction score
Hi , I had engine troubles , poor running and cutting out at low speeds , so I changed the fuel filter , still the same , then it started to limp as I tried to make it home ,
I removed the egr valve to find the Lolly pop shape valve inside has snapped .
Question is if I blank off the valve do I need to replace the egr so it's funtioning ?. Any advice is welcome , it's a TDI 170 avant 2008 . Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Max, my 170 2006 avant recently had it's EGR replaced - wasn't too expensive (hidden amongst other issues that were fixed at the same time) but mine has/had similar issues. Did you get any warning lights on the dash out of interest?

Hi Mike , no warning lights just engine cut out with the usual ignition lights , but a few months ago the injectors warming lamp lit up a few times and it went away. . .

Hi Mike , no warning lights just engine cut out with the usual ignition lights , but a few months ago the injectors warming lamp lit up a few times and it went away. . .

Hi Max, mine went pop a few weeks ago prior to the EGR replacement - also no warning lights. My DPF was clogged (I'd had no warning lights about that either) but there were injector related fault codes when I got it to the local garage. Touch wood - EGR replace & DPF clean have got it driving again but handling with kid gloves at the moment. Good luck mate

Hi Mike when you say yours went Pop . What went , EGR or coughing and spluttering .

I had a loss of power on the way home one night (different to the usual loss of power I've experienced intermittently since buying the car) with no boost & barely any power. Decided to take it to the garage in the morning. Got half a mile from home, large puff of black smoke from the rear and total loss of power/engine cut out. Garage spent their time trying to diagnose the fault (i'll see if i can find the fault codes) to find that the EGR wasn't closing properly and the DPF was fully blocked. Still not 100% sure what caused it so driving very tentatively and beginning to work through potential culprits (fuel filter, MAF, wiring loom etc.)

Out of interest how much did it cost to have the DPF cleaned or is this something I can DIY? I have not looked into this yet but have recently changed the EGR as I had the same issues as mentioned above, flat spots, and intermittent limp mode with black smoke. The glow plug dash light did come on for me when it went into limp.
Since the EGR change the car has been running great however I have no history of the DPF being cleaned/replaced so would like to get this done for a piece of mind.

Thanks.

Reactions: AvantMike
Out of interest how much did it cost to have the DPF cleaned or is this something I can DIY? I have not looked into this yet but have recently changed the EGR as I had the same issues as mentioned above, flat spots, and intermittent limp mode with black smoke. The glow plug dash light did come on for me when it went into limp.
Since the EGR change the car has been running great however I have no history of the DPF being cleaned/replaced so would like to get this done for a piece of mind.

Thanks.
I think the indy I'm using got it done by a mobile DPF cleaner for £250 (it was in the midst of a hefty garage bill for other work so take the price with a pinch of your favourite condiment).

Reactions: Ahun7er