EGR / Throttle boddies / a bit of smoke

Spuudercat

Reaction score
OK I know there is a lot there, let me take you on a short journey!

I bought the A6 (2006) 2.0TDCi about two months ago and have been relatively happy with it. I knew it had a few flees when I bought it and sorted these out. The aircon was goosed so a new unit was put in (nice and cheap that one .. not), the rear brakes were sorted out with new disks and I bought a new throttle body for it as the old one had "issues". So all good so far.

The issue I have is that when I tried to do the normal EGR blanking plate trick, that I seem to do to all diesels I buy. when I fitted it though the car felt like I had a potato up the exhaust and responded very badly. Incredibly slow acceleration which was the opposite of the norm.

Recently the car has started taking a few turns of the engine to start and this seems to be increasing in time, a bit of smoke when going off in the morning or hard acceleration and the fuel economy isn't ace (about 40ish)

Not sure about others but I really don't feel like offering help to someone who's sick enough to use that avatar!

Reactions: gupsterg and Spuudercat
First savile now saddam, you have a weird proclivity for the most unsavoury characters!

Reactions: gupsterg
First savile now saddam, you have a weird proclivity for the most unsavoury characters!
I take on board your guidance about my macabre state of mind and am actively seeking to make recompense even though I feel the use of deer might be stepping in too far

PS and I don't want to anger you any further but any ideas about the car issues?

I'd suggest that blanking the EGR without having it mapped-out has the potential to confuse the engine management system; potentially causing a plethora of faults.

When you say you had the throttle body replaced, I'm guessing you mean the anti-shudder valve (it looks rather like a throttle body and is connected to intake/EGR) - was this a new part or salvage? They're prone to sticking (perhaps the trouble you were having with the first?) - it should open under spring pressure, but its sticking closed (or partially) would be one reason for reluctant starting. The only purpose of the valve is to make engine shutdown less lumpy by choking off the air intake at the same time fuelling stops. if you've got a way to clear the check engine light which will be thrown, you can unplug the electrical connector to see if starting is improved (of course it might be on the second start, as it might've stuck a bit when it closed prior to disconnection).

Rob.

PS> I won't insist you keep Bambi, but please keep rotters out of your avatar.

PS and I don't want to anger you any further but any ideas about the car issues?

Okay......moving on.....

As FactionOne has suggested above, you can't simply blank the egr connection like you can on some older engines, the egr system is monitored and controlled via the ecu software so would need to be mapped out.

The slow starting could be so many things, battery/starter condition, glow plugs, fuel pressure/injector seals etc. A fault code scan would be the obvious place to start.

Reactions: Spuudercat and gupsterg
Where are you based. we are located in the north east and could delete the EGR valve if required. as said blanking it without writing it out of the software will confuse it and will make the car think theres a problem

I'd suggest that blanking the EGR without having it mapped-out has the potential to confuse the engine management system; potentially causing a plethora of faults.

When you say you had the throttle body replaced, I'm guessing you mean the anti-shudder valve (it looks rather like a throttle body and is connected to intake/EGR) - was this a new part or salvage? They're prone to sticking (perhaps the trouble you were having with the first?) - it should open under spring pressure, but its sticking closed (or partially) would be one reason for reluctant starting. The only purpose of the valve is to make engine shutdown less lumpy by choking off the air intake at the same time fuelling stops. if you've got a way to clear the check engine light which will be thrown, you can unplug the electrical connector to see if starting is improved (of course it might be on the second start, as it might've stuck a bit when it closed prior to disconnection).

Rob.

PS> I won't insist you keep Bambi, but please keep rotters out of your avatar.

I replaced the throttle body, ir at least that was what it was called. I had the EGR fault but when I took it all apart even through I did clean it come more it was still not all that dirty and the fault code didn't go. After replacing the throttle body it all seemed to (fault code wise) be fine. It was a new Audi part so all good I think?

I'll give it a go with the electrical connector, that sounds like a good plan thank you

Bambi by the way could put the others to shame, those little hooves have been instrumental in many many crimes I am sure :)

Okay......moving on.....

As FactionOne has suggested above, you can't simply blank the egr connection like you can on some older engines, the egr system is monitored and controlled via the ecu software so would need to be mapped out.

The slow starting could be so many things, battery/starter condition, glow plugs, fuel pressure/injector seals etc. A fault code scan would be the obvious place to start.

Thank you

All the other cars that I have banged this onto seem to have sorted themselves out. Although I think the Audis have a bit more intelligence about how they mix their fuel and air

Where are you based. we are located in the north east and could delete the EGR valve if required. as said blanking it without writing it out of the software will confuse it and will make the car think theres a problem

Over in the North West, Cheshire,

Although my sister is over in Yarm so a good excuse for a trip wouldn't be out of order

Where abouts are you in the NE?