EGR Location help please

den911

Reaction score
Hi , i have a A3 1.6tdi Jan 2011 convertible CAYC ....I was currently looking online for a EGR and on a couple of sites i was getting 2 variations one with a cooler box and one that looked like a normal tube like EGR ..I automaticaly presumed mine was the one that goes behind the Turbo at the back of the engine with a cooler box and a pain to do ..I was just wondering if any one knew when they changed from the EGR being at the front of the engine that would have been pretty straightforward to do to the one at the back of engine ...I am pretty certain that when i last did a oil change i noticed a clean stainless steel looking pipe that reminded me of a EGR pipe i had on my BMW just to the right of the throttle body,,could be wishful thinking and clutching at straws i know in hope i could have a easy job to do replacing it if its at the front ..Any input would be apreciated.Thanks

I have a 2011 sport back mines is the one with the cooler back of engine. Had it replaced for £600 local indie garage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It'll be the one down the back of the engine, change it from below. Think yourself lucky it's not a quattro. Only use genuine VW group parts, there have been several updates of this valve.

It'll be the one down the back of the engine, change it from below. Think yourself lucky it's not a quattro. Only use genuine VW group parts, there have been several updates of this valve.
Hi, I have been looking to source the Whalle EGR as I believe this is OEM if anyone or yourself know of a better make I would appreciate it ...

Yeah that's the one. Mines replaced with genuine Audi one. Bought car month later it went egr they replaced it with a crap one even said I would have paid the extra. 2 yes warranty on this one

I have a 2011 sport back mines is the one with the cooler back of engine. Had it replaced for £600 local indie garage

I did read somewhere that some early 2011 models had them n the front ...As said wishful thinking

Reactions: leonwilliams
It's a lot of labour to replace this EGR valve, you don't want to be doing it twice.
Get a genuine VW Group valve which will be the latest version.
Anything else is a false economy.

Would the latest version be to suit the EA189 so called fix as i have had mine rollbacked and i know a lot of the genuine ones did fail early ..I do go OEM when i can but i have conflicting reports of who actualy manufactured the Audi EGR

Have you looked up any online parts catalogues to see where it is. I have a 2.o TDI and always thought they were in the same place, at the front. The cooler I am sure is at the back but the actual valve the front. I had tho change my throttle body (it's not rally that on a Diesel but as good as) it's connected sort of in line coming off the inlet manifold, throttle body first then EGR. I would look up the parts catalogues though usually have fairly good diagrams, something like this; https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/
HTH

Reactions: den911