Egr delete - worth it or not?

Mindak

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys iv heard a lot about the egr's clogging up on the tdi's!
I have a 2.0 tdi so went about ordering an allard egr delete kit! (Pricey in my opinion)
upon delivery I don't think the instructions are too clear and talking to my mate with a Fabia vrs he said its a nightmare job!
I don't really have time to be going without a car so is it really that bad and worth doing?
or anybody have a good guide or video?

Thanks

Dan

It's a really simple job to do 6 bolts in total if I remember correctly, you will however need the ECU software mapped to take the missing EGR into consideration otherwise it will think its faulty & throw the car into limp mode.

you wouldn't **** in your own glass and drink it so why would you keep the EGR in your car?

if/when mine plays up it is coming straight out

Reactions: winger
Iv already bought the kit just heard it's a nightmare and takes ages to fit, time is never on my side as drive it daily! Lol
As for the error I'm having it remapped but am waiting to sort this delete out so that can be done at the sane time!
Also I hear fitting this will make it sound like a bag of nails when turning off ... This correct?

Also I hear fitting this will make it sound like a bag of nails when turning off ... This correct?

I've not had it done but from my internet research they might be some truth in that

It's the anti shudder value that you lose that would cause that I think?

Just get the roadsport one I have no shudder when turn off and my light on dash isnt on either

I think it's the delete of the EGR cooler that takes the time and not just deleting the EGR. Also you still keep the anti shudder valve in place so there shouldnt be any issues with turning off the car.

Yea I didn't think the anti shudder gets removed but still here of them sounding rough after! We'll see! Lol
Yea the egr cooler looks time consuming, is there any decent guides anywhere as the instruction look fairly unhelpful with no pics!

I did the EGR delete removing the anti shudder valve years ago, I would do it again. The modification is easy enough to do. Mine did run a bit funny until I had the custom remap done the following week. The car is now 10 years old and runs really sweet. Go for it.

Nice one cheers mate exactly what I was looking for!
Do people tend to remove the cooler or leave it be?

Either should be fine. They had a habit of leaking coolant so used to be removed along with the EGR, not heard of any coolant loss issues recently so shouldn't really matter.

It will be tidier if the whole system is removed in one go though, you will need a part to join the two coolant pipes that go to/from the cooler. I think it is mentioned in the guide (can't see it at the minute I'm at work).

my egr system has been completely remove last year with no probelms

I've being toying with the idea for a while. My car can potter about quite a bit doing the school run etc, and when given some boot for the first time in a day can be a bit sooty, I'm thinking of disabling the EGR to see if it helps lower the crap building up in the turbo/exhaust. After all it's what killed my last turbo with sticky vanes.

I've blanked mine, after the remap to remove it. I have the 2nd blanking plate and the cooler connection pipes to remove the cooler just need to get round to it

Been blanked off for a year or so, never had a problem :)