EGR Delete Why?

Sorry to jump on board, I've got a 2006 1.9 TDI, don't think have DPF fitted, just a cat? Is it worth deleting the cat ( or gutting it) and egr blank? Also what's the small pipe trick to fool ecu?
Did a dpf delete on my old qashqai and was an amazing difference, faster and more mpg!

dpf where fitted to the 140 model and the 170 model from around 07 onwards. this can be identedified by the vanum hoses coming from the filrer which is in the same place as the cat.

Hi mine's
Ian I take it this is what you EGR looks like when it's on the car?

allard-usa-egr-stock.600.JPG

If so it looks like you need this type of plate to delete it

allard-usa-egr.JPG

If it is the correct kit then the cheapest I can find is roughly £60 all in HERE

I hope that someone can confirm that your BPW engine is the same set up as the ones in the listing BGW & BHW.

I know that on my BRD it's a different set up but I'm sure that you can turn the EGR off or to the point it's basically off via VCDS like you can on mine.
1.9tdi do you know which kit I'd require?

Hi Guys

Sorry to resurrect and old post but I am looking at this myself!

Recently I have had the engine management light come on in my car, scanned with VCDS and there is an intermittent EGR malfunction so after speaking to a few people they recommended deleting it out all together.

So essentially I was looking at removing the EGR and getting it coded out on my TT TDI Quattro and I have a few questions if possible?

- Has anyone on here done this already?

- Is it easy to do?
- Does anyone on here offer it?

My engine is a CFGB 2.0 TDI and I am based in the midlands
1f642.png
:)

Any help is appreciated
1f642.png
:)

Thank you

James

Not sure of the layout on your engine but on the BRE/BRD is very easy with the delete kit.
Also removing the cooler is a pig of a job, but worthwhile. Makes accessing the turbo to clean it much easier.
The EGR part of the management light does need to be coded out after though, and your DPF will need attention.

Reactions: AvantMike
Not sure of the layout on your engine but on the BRE/BRD is very easy with the delete kit.
Also removing the cooler is a pig of a job, but worthwhile. Makes accessing the turbo to clean it much easier.
The EGR part of the management light does need to be coded out after though, and your DPF will need attention.
Awesome timing - I need to look into the delete - the kit from Darkside Developments seems a decent option but the cooler seems a total PITA.
Have you done this one Pie? Anywhere a noob can find info?

Awesome timing - I need to look into the delete - the kit from Darkside Developments seems a decent option but the cooler seems a total PITA.

Really easy Mike, I found a link on tinterweb on how to do it. I'll try to forward it to you when I get home. But there are some on YouTube too. You shouldn't need to pay Darkside's prices, mist delete kits will be the same.
Taking the cooler is the tricky part the bolts aren't too accessible. And joining the hoses because it's between the engine and bulkhead.
You will probably need to address your DPF too though.

There you go Mike. Don't worry that its a Golf engine, the layout is the same, just have to look for the bits.
I just joined the coolant pipes with a straight connector at the back of the engine. The turbo blanking plate makes turbo access a doddle.
There are Youtube videos on how to do it also and the delete kits are cheap on Ebay.

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72241.0.html?PHPSESSID=m4eed79poaqtnv1n3vlrqndbg5

Really easy Mike, I found a link on tinterweb on how to do it. I'll try to forward it to you when I get home. But there are some on YouTube too. You shouldn't need to pay Darkside's prices, mist delete kits will be the same.
Taking the cooler is the tricky part the bolts aren't too accessible. And joining the hoses because it's between the engine and bulkhead.
You will probably need to address your DPF too though.
Lol - but having the brand name on it adds at least 3 BHP Pie!!!

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Did you get the car on ramps to access it Pie? The cooler hose round the back of the engine block looks like a job for smaller hands than mine.
It'd be nice to get the turbo off for a scrub too as I'm assuming it's full of the soot that killed the last EGR valve.
I've had a carbon clean about 18 months ago... but nothings going to be better than a mechanical clean.

Reactions: Steve D
No Mike I did it all ground level.
Start from the pipe that attaches to the turbo housing and work back. I remember one bolt being a beeatch to get out of the cooler at the rear, but I don't remember which particular one.
My biggest problem was knocking off the horse shoe plastic clip that holds the thermostat housing and losing all the water the next day.

Really isn't a bad job to do Mike. It has so many advantages.
You don't need that water pipe connection, it's just a straight connection and 2 jubilee clips. I bought one from Darkside but it's unused.
The engine bay is a lot clearer after, access to the turbo blanking plate is a doddle. I've also ground down the corner of EGR mounting plate with my Dremel so you can get into the oil filter cap easier. And with the engine top cover on you can't see a thing.

Removing the EGR valve keeps the whole intake system cleaner once removed. No downside to remove it.

May cause the EML to come on unless mapped out.

First thing to go on any of my diesel or petrol engines
Can you tell me if a blank has been recently fitted to the one end of the EGR pipe , and hasn't been mapped out yet on my 1.6 tdi 2011 A3 , will it go into limp mode whilst driving or will it just show the EML only and carry on as normal ?

Can you tell me if a blank has been recently fitted to the one end of the EGR pipe , and hasn't been mapped out yet on my 1.6 tdi 2011 A3 , will it go into limp mode whilst driving or will it just show the EML only and carry on as normal ?
It won't go into limp mode, but you will get a permanent EML until it's mapped out.
Not looking forward to this...

Did you end up doing it Mike, or not?

Firstly, it helps improve engine performance and responsiveness by reducing carbon buildup. Secondly, it can enhance fuel efficiency and overall engine longevity. As for your A4 2.0TDi 140 BPW engine, an EGR delete could still offer benefits even if you aren't a speed enthusiast, as it can optimize your cruising experience.
My 2006 BRE 2.0TDi 140 is over 245K miles, with a very much an intact EGR, that I've never had cleaned myself. Obviously no DPF on these fortunately . Cruising is very smooth too and the car drives really nicely. I've come round to not being against EGR deletes though and I would like to see if smoke, under hard acceleration, that these always had from new is reduced, which would be the main benefit for me. People say feeding that crap back into your engine is not good and your oil does turn black straight away, not good either; obviously they were designed for emissions not engine health and that's not ideal but there's no real evidence that engine life is prolonged, without them or damaged by them, in the way that the original oil pump failing definitely leads to an early life. Many very high mileage 1.9TDis have been shown to have had the benefit of better engine seals from carbon build up, when taken apart. You won't eliminate carbon build-up entirely with an EGR delete either, on these engines: as they age oil gets past the piston rings and burns up too.

As with everything there is never an entirely free lunch; warm up can take longer in the cold as too shutdown may be be effected, they say. As I say I'm still thinking of getting it done, with a good econ re-map but it does need to be done properly, I feel; both obviously. True long life for these engines is change that oil pump now for a modified one and never use long interval service schedules again.