1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGR Delete Why?

Ianski68 May 31, 2017

1. Ianski68

Ianski68 Active Member Team Mauritius Audi A4 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group TDi S-line owners group Manual

so as a total noob, i see a lot of people saying that the EGR delete is the best basic mod you can do! so three Questions:

1/ WHY?

2/ i have a A4 2.0TDi 140 BPW engine. i am not a boy racer just love cruising the country roads with the top down, would i benefit from doing this?

3/ on my engine what would be involved?

i am sure this is a well versed subject....

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

1. It cloggs up.

2. Yes.

3. EGR delete kit, maybe mapping out too unless you use a small pipe to trick the ECU.

4. Ianski68

Ianski68 Active Member Team Mauritius Audi A4 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group TDi S-line owners group Manual

a dlete kit for my engine, where would i look for one? obviously i imagine that there are many versions. i know on my engine it slides into the top of a manifold and has a rotating valve where as others sits between the manifold and shudder valve etc....

egr.jpg

5. Ianski68

so i have had my car 2 years, never cleaned the EGR. if i clean it does it have a gasket that will need replacing or does it have a re usable type one (copper etc)

i did say i was a total noooooooooooob lol

6. Toblahoe

Toblahoe Active Member Team Phantom Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi S-line owners group

Following this thread because I am interested in doing this myself.

7. Ianski68

This is a VW but has the same engine as mine. EGR looks simple to clean, but still would like to know if a delete would be better and info on parts etc..

8. Ianski68

Well if the man in the video can do it I can too.

So I did. This is what I found.
    IMG_8737.JPG

I was so pleased after I had cleaned and polished it I forgot to take o photo! Derrrrr

J0N and tony mc like this.
  9. Ianski68

Still would like some more info on delete kit route etc.

10. Toblahoe

Toblahoe Active Member Team Phantom Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi S-line owners group

Oh my god, how many miles has your car covered?

11. Ianski68

90,000..barely run in.lol

12. Avatar

13. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

Removing the EGR valve keeps the whole intake system cleaner once removed. No downside to remove it.

May cause the EML to come on unless mapped out.

First thing to go on any of my diesel or petrol engines

14. Ianski68

So will there be a specific kit for my engine.? what will it comprise of?

thanks.....

15. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

You've just cleaned it , no need for a full delete kit.

Stainless steel 1.5 mm slip in blank and remap .

16. Ianski68

okay that,s simple enough to do. i imagine someone does a made to fit plate.

since i cleaned it the car does seem smoother.

17. Gazwould

It'll be even smoother , more powerful and pull from lower down when blanked and remapped .

Engine code ?

18. Toblahoe

Mines done 88k gonna plan this mod for next weekend

My engine code is BRE which blanking plate should I go for and is it easy to fit?

19. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

Darkside do a full kit if you want to fully remove the whole ERG unit around £90 get rid of the EGR cooler too makes working on the engine a lot easier

20. carlcall

carlcall Well-Known Member Team Brilliant Black VCDS Map User Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi Manual

Ian I take it this is what you EGR looks like when it's on the car?

[​IMG]

If so it looks like you need this type of plate to delete it

[​IMG]

If it is the correct kit then the cheapest I can find is roughly £60 all in HERE

I hope that someone can confirm that your BPW engine is the same set up as the ones in the listing BGW & BHW.

I know that on my BRD it's a different set up but I'm sure that you can turn the EGR off or to the point it's basically off via VCDS like you can on mine.

21. Sky_Walker

Sky_Walker New Member

Does the dpf need to taken out before removing egr?

22. Ianski68

That's the one. I emailed Dark side but they gave me the wrong info regarding the kit. But you have nailed it.

Will it require remapping and VCDS to finish it off? Huge thanks

23. carlcall

carlcall Well-Known Member Team Brilliant Black VCDS Map User Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi Manual

If you can get access to VCDS you can edit the settings of the EGR Ian. Then in theory that should suffice to totally disable it to it ever so slightly on the verge of being 100% totally disabled.

I was going to just use VCDS on mine but I ended up getting a remap and got it disabled that way and then not much later went for the DPF delete also as I have the 170.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. carlcall

No pal it doesn't!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sky_Walker likes this.
  25. Sky_Walker

Sky_Walker New Member

Cheers mate

26. WesternFreight

WesternFreight Start, will ya!!!

Dark side developments say on their site not to blank the egr valve if you still have an active dpf ?

RS4B5 likes this.
  27. carlcall

I don't know why as all it does is let hot air into the engine when it's idling and as soon as you raise the revs with driving it closes.

I never had any problems with my DPF apart from it running better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. Gazwould

Egr is a prerequisite of dpf regeneration it helps regulate the pressure and temperature during regeneration , without , the dpf could block .

RS4B5 likes this.
  29. Ianski68

So does my car have a dpf ?

30. Gazwould

[​IMG]

Turn the key and find out .

J0N and carlcall like this.
  31. carlcall

As it's only the 140 it shouldn't have.....but it came to light not so long back that some did have an optional upgrade to a DPF, or should that be downgrade?

RS4B5 likes this.
  32. Ianski68

So if it has a dpf filter then I need to remove that aswell!

The list is growing.
    Thanks everyone.

33. Avatar

34. Gazwould

Basically anything that inhibits full oxygenated combustion and inhibits exhaust gas flow reduces power and mpg .

So you want nothing but cool air for induction and a free flowing exhaust .

The downside is diesel particulate matter and NOx emissions .

35. Toblahoe

I read somewhere on the Vag forum that audi only started putting DPFs on their diesels in 2007, apparently no PD140 B7 engines have a DPF, only the 170s.

36. carlcall

They came as an optional free upgrade on the 140's......I only found out when another member on here put me right as I was only aware of them on them on the 170 variant of the 2 litre oil burners.

37. J0N

J0N Active Member

I don't seem to have this warning light on my instruments when I turn the ignition on....did I escape??

2008 2.0 tdi 170.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. Gazwould

It would seem so .

J0N likes this.
  39. carlcall

I don't have that image on my clocks either and never had but I definitely had one on it at one point....I think mine fell off somehow hehehe.

A 2008 170 you will have one on it.

J0N likes this.
  40. Toblahoe

41. Toblahoe

Sorry for double post, blanked easily, but now the turbo sometimes doesn't spin up, it's like the car is in limp mode but then sometimes the turbo works fine and I get some really nice acceleration.

Do I need to remap the egr out to fix this?

42. Leyton388

Leyton388 Active Member

Hi guys

I've come across this thread as I previously had a a4 b7 and before I started to really learn about cars I had to get the EGR valve replaced so had a garage do it.

I now have a b8 170 tdi and am looking into possibly deleting it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice if it is still worth doing. I noticed that above a remap has been mentioned. I currently don't have the car mapped, however I am running a dtuk tuning box and pedal box.

My engine code is CAHA.

43. RS4B5

RS4B5 5 pots

The dpf needs to go as not long after it will get blocked