EGR and Throttle body cleaning

Tank.

Reaction score
Hi all!

I wondered if there's a comprehensive guide to cleaning throttle body, EGR and inlet manifolds available?

Also what sort of level is the risk. Is it a fairly safe job without risk of breaking bits

Many thanks

Dave

Noticed a sudden increase in fuel comsumption for some reason, thinking this might at least help.

Usually get 60 miles before it comes off the full mark but done that distance and it's just above 3/4 full

It's not comprehensive but I did a post on cleaning the TB & EGR http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ebuild-and-repair-thread.211351/#post-2118561 At the top of that post there is a link to gupsterg thread that also gives some information, personally I don't think the EGR will be that bad, and I would not bother removing that, I would recommend removing & cleaning the inlet manifolds with the swirl flaps.

Reactions: PAULF and Tank.
I'm aware there's a problem with swirl flap linkages/motors that throw up a fault.

Is that an area I need to be particularly careful around

It's not that they throw up a fault, the problem happens when the flaps become so clogged up they either damage the linkage or wear out the motor, so cleaning them up could safe future big bills.

Just make sure if you remove them no dirt falls into the manifold, so gave the area a good clean first before you remove them

Perfect! I'll give that a go next week I think.

Thanks