Efficiency mode

Clifford1

Reaction score
Hi all

Have bought a 2021 A4 avant (2 litre petrol black edition s tronic) and wondered if anyone could confirm if it does / should have an efficiency mode)?
I’ve contacted Audi who say it should be in the drive select icon, but we only have auto, comfort, dynamic and individual modes.
We are just trying to get the mpg up from a current long term average of 29mpg - we are driving sensibly with 2 people in the car plus a baby, so it’s not overloaded.
Any help appreciated, and sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Hi all

Have bought a 2021 A4 avant (2 litre petrol black edition s tronic) and wondered if anyone could confirm if it does / should have an efficiency mode)?
I’ve contacted Audi who say it should be in the drive select icon, but we only have auto, comfort, dynamic and individual modes.
We are just trying to get the mpg up from a current long term average of 29mpg - we are driving sensibly with 2 people in the car plus a baby, so it’s not overloaded.

Primary Audi Drive Select Models​

• Comfort - Softer suspension feel and less steering wheel resistance work to dampen road feel. Electronic throttle and transmission control shift at lower RPMs and to smooth out inputs.
  • Auto - A balanced setting great for everyday use that focuses on balancing comfort and performance to accommodate varying driver needs.
  • Dynamic - Precise control and responsiveness are prioritized in this mode. Suspension dampening is stiffened and ride height is lowered in adaptive air suspension models. Throttle response is increased with shifts taking place at higher RPMs and steering feel is stiffened to allow for more precise input.
  • Individual - Fine tune a comfort or performance focused mode, or save your own combination of settings - within reasonable limits - in this driver customizable mode.
Comfort then, I suppose...

Reactions: spartacus68
Hi all

Mine has an efficiency mode but it's a B9, maybe this option was removed in the 9.5?

29MPG on a 2.0L sounds dreadful though, I can't speak for petrol versions but that does seem low. 2 people, 2 dogs and a boot full of s***, motorway cruising for me is a solid 40+ MPG on my 3.0 TDI.

Reactions: Shock_Xe
Mines doesn’t have efficiency mode ether, it’s a 2019 35 tfsi with the revised bumpers

Maybe its a diesel thing then, as mine is a 2019 B9 40 TDI (1st facelift not B9.5) and does have the efficiency mode.
I never use it though, the Auto mode seems fine for normal driving, with the occasional manual override with the paddles or S gearbox mode.
Personally I think driving modes are a bit of a gimmick, unless you have the adaptive suspension maybe, but hardly anyone does.
Perhaps just depends on type of driving: % of urban, motorway, A road, etc., and time of day. Traffic jams just kill my average.

IMG 20220209 073653

Maybe its a diesel thing then, as mine is a 2019 B9 40 TDI (1st facelift not B9.5) and does have the efficiency mode.
I never use it though, the Auto mode seems fine for normal driving, with the occasional manual override with the paddles or S gearbox mode.
Personally I think driving modes are a bit of a gimmick, unless you have the adaptive suspension maybe, but hardly anyone does.
Perhaps just depends on type of driving: % of urban, motorway, A road, etc., and time of day. Traffic jams just kill my average.

Disagree personally. Efficiency mode does help me save some MPG. Harder steering combined with much smoother/laggier throttle response when I put my foot down does seem to help.