Efficiency mode - drive select/S-tronic

DaveW

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed, which is a little confusing:
Say I'm in "Auto" drive select mode and pulling back the gear lever toggles the gearbox between "S" and "D" modes.
I switch to "Efficiency" drive select mode. This time pulling the gear lever toggles between "S" and "E" modes - fair enough.
If I leave the car and return, when I switch on and it is still in "Efficiency" drive select mode, pulling back the gear lever toggles between "S" and "D"modes, the "E" mode is no longer available, unless I select another drive select mode and then return to "Efficiency" drive select mode.
This is my first S-tronic car and I've read the manual and cannot find any reference to this, is this normal, is anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks,
Dave

I don't use Efficiency mode, I tried it and didn't like the extra delay in waiting for the required gear change. However, I'll have a play later and see if I can replicate what you described.

Reactions: DaveW
So I tried this out like you described, and I get the exact same behaviour as you. It's probably a bug. There is the correct indication on the dash that it is in Efficiency mode, but the gear lever switches between S/D instead of S/E.

I have a small list of things that I want to ask the dealer; none of them by themselves are worth while a trip, but I'll add this onto the list. At some point, the list will get large enough that I'll want to make the effort and go and get some answers...

Reactions: Paul - Berkshire and DaveW
So I tried this out like you described, and I get the exact same behaviour as you. It's probably a bug. There is the correct indication on the dash that it is in Efficiency mode, but the gear lever switches between S/D instead of S/E.

I have a small list of things that I want to ask the dealer; none of them by themselves are worth while a trip, but I'll add this onto the list. At some point, the list will get large enough that I'll want to make the effort and go and get some answers...

Thanks, at least it's not just mine.
Probably just a "display issue". I think we're both familiar with them, given your username, I think I'm in the same line of work as you!

Ha ha, yes, what I do is a bit of a give away from my username...

Likewise. May be worth starting a tread listing these. I’m away from my C8 for over 2 weeks but recall the inconsistency you describe.

I get this in my A4 B9 to. In efficiency mode it can display E and then suddenly change to D. How odd

To have the E instead of D or S on the VC it's necessary to push the Efficency button on the MMI. If you reach the Efficency mode with the driveselect arrows the system set the Efficency mode but the gear remains in D or S. I don't know why.

Efficiency button on MMi?
yes when you press the arrows of the drive select, in the mmi appears the menù with the possibility to select the drive mode. If you press the button on the mmi relative to the efficiency on the vc the gear become E

Yes until you turn off the ignition Then upon start up its back to D and you have to select efficiency again

Yes until you turn off the ignition Then upon start up its back to D and you have to select efficiency again
Yes but .... why ? The same also if you move (with arrows) from Efficiency to Comfort and then again into Efficiency. if you use arrows the system remains in D you have to push Efficiency on the MMI.