1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edgar's A4 B7 2.0TFSI BT Build

i3oricua Jun 8, 2019

1. i3oricua

i3oricua Active Member Team Brill Red Saloon Audi A4

So I have this same build posted up on Audizine but posting it here helps me with local UK problems because a large part of my Audizine followers live in the US and don't have access to some things here and vice-versa.

CAR INFO
    2006 Audi A4 Base, FWD, 6 Speed, Engine Code BPG

Exterior Mods
    Morimoto Headlight mod
    Rotiform BLQ, 19x8.5
    Brembo 18Z Calipers w/EBC Yellow Stuff Pads
    Relak Carbon Fiber Side Skirts
    S-Line Front Bumper w/RS6 mesh grill conversion
    Cupra Front Lip
    Carbon Fiber Duckbill rear wing (ECS)
    Carbon Fiber Side Mirror Covers (ECS)
    Fenders rolled and pulled
    Smoked side markers and smoked side blinkers
    S4 Door Blades

Suspension
    Eibach Springs w/ECS Coilover system
    RS4 Rear Sway Bar
    ECS Rear End Links
    ECS Front Sway Bar End Links
    Performance Front Sway Bar Bushings
    Ultra Racing Upper Strut Bar
    SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms
    ECS Billet Subframe Steel Bushings (Front)

Interior Mods
    Custom Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    BFI Shift Knob
    Custom Interior Wrapped Trim
    Custom Suede Wrapped Black Headliner
    Black Interior Swap
    B6 Front and Rear Recaro Seats
    Podi Gauge Pod w/Boost Gauge
    Innovative Wideband in Custom Vent Pod
    VFiz
    R8 Pedals
    Wrapped e-Brake Handle
    Blackvue Front and Rear Camera
    Different Head Unit (can't remember the name)
    Kicker 10" sub in Custom Side Mount Trunk Box

Go Fast Mods 405.6 WHP/328 ft/lbs Tq (prior to forged internals; stock block; stock clutch)
    PagParts Turbo Kit (purchased from Mitchbartoo)
    PPT Manifold
    Borg Warner EFR 7163 Turbo
    Tial MV-S 38mm Wastegate
    Custom Downpipe
    RamAir Cold Air Intake
    IE Adjustable Camshaft Gear
    FluiDampr Pulley
    Intake manifold flaps delete
    B8.5 Throttle Body (3" opening)
    S3 Injectors
    JHM Upgraded HPFP
    145 PSI Upgraded PRV
    JHM Walbro 255 LPFP - DW300
    Water Methanol Injection Kit (2 nozzles), Tank in the Trunk
    Custom Catback Exhaust
    RS4 Fuel Controller (pending PM4+ install - on order)
    ECS Catch Can
    ECS Oil Filter Housing
    ECS Engine Mounts
    Apikol Transmission Mount
    Polyurethane Snub Mount
    Treadstone TR18 Front Mount Intercooler
    Forged H-Beam Rods
    King Racing Bearings
    JE Pistons 82.5mm (standard bore), 8.5:1 compression ratio
    IE Titanium Valve Springs & Retainers & valve stem seals
    Ferrea Titanium Valves
    ARP head studs & cam girdle studs
    Clutchmasters FX350 Flywheel & Clutch Combo
    GFB DV+
    2.0T oil pump w/balance shaft delete

So I've had my car since 2006. I've been the only owner of it and I've made lots of choices and gone through lots of parts and wheels. I've done a pretty good job taking care of it and just wanted to document a few things from start to now. Please feel free to comment/hate/like. I'm pretty thick skinned.

First two things I did was install Eibach springs and get some wheels. I ran these RPM 505's for probably about 7 or 8 years before finally getting some different wheels. Oh, and I tinted the windows.

[​IMG]

After moving from Germany to Wyoming I really didn't do much to the car and just kind of neglected it. But then I moved to California and started giving it some love. Bought some new black Rohana 20's and started with a black theme with black grill and some black S4 door blades. Also threw some Relak skirts on.

[​IMG]

Eventually got a custom exhaust put on.

[​IMG]

With some exterior mods I started focusing on fixing the car and modifying it engine wise. Especially when I decided to go with a JHM tune.

At that point the engine mods were:
    Test pipe
    JHM upgraded HPFP
    Full exhaust
    Front mount intercooler
    Intake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wheel swap time to some Rotiform BLQ's (I still have them but I curbed one and have to try to fix it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With this faze came some 18Z upgrades, custom made steering wheel, and BFI shift knob.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I said to myself, "This car is fast, lets put it on a dyno and see what kind of power I'm making!"

[​IMG]

Disappointment...

So with that disappointing result I started doing some more exterior work.

Changed rims - Bronze JNC 026's - rears are19 x 10.5’s, ET25 w/ 275/30/19's !!!!
    Rolled the rear fenders
    Got the S4 blades painted red to match the car
    Morimoto headlight conversion and new lenses

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. i3oricua

And with that started a new phase of go fast parts. First I installed water/meth with a kit I put together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was a nice addition as it really livened the car up but just wasn't enough.

So after a lot long texts with a good friend and bad influence I found Mitchbartko selling his old kit and purchased it.

His kit came with:

Pag Parts (PPT) manifold
    Borg-Warner EFR 7163 turbo
    Tial Wastegate
    Associated downpipe and fittings

Parts I had:
    S3 injectors

So I started ripping out the K-03 and installing the new kit when it arrived!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the install I scheduled an appointment with a tuner in NorCal and got a very conservative tune done. He never provided me a graph or proof of numbers but he stated that my tune was making about 286 whp at about 7 PSI.

At this point I was out of time and the tuner told me the engine wasn't healthy because he saw some smoke and other things...I probably should have just waited but that's hindsight. I had to ship the car to the UK with me.

In the meantime, I've collected a bunch of parts to build the bottom end to include a spare bottom end. I'll get this done sometime in 2018. Those parts are:

JE Pistons
    Forged Rods
    Integrated Engineering Crank Bolt
    APR main studs and head studs
    Southbend Stage 3 Clutch and flywheel
    and still to come are Integrated Engineering crank bearings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the meantime, I just got the car retuned out here in the UK with a company name SA Tuning/ which netted pretty amazing results. I have some issues that need working out as you can see in the graph with it being shaky around 4800 - 5500 or so but you can see what the previous tuner and the new tuner out here was able to push on the stock bottom end. He actually said that once I fix the fueling or whatever the problem is to come back and he'll finish things up on the house because he's confident there's some left there to be safely extracted.

[​IMG]

So until I build the bottom end next year I'll just get these things worked out and update the thread as normal and as things come along.

4. i3oricua

A little throwback. For those that know Operator his car is on the left naked and afraid before he went insane modding it.

The second pic is at the base of Pikes Peak that Operator and I went on a group drive to the top. If I remember right they made me pull over on the way down after checking the temp on my brakes. Good times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 12

AvantMike likes this.
  5. i3oricua

Finding more pics as I go through my phone.

Installed some B6 Recaros about 2 months ago and the RS4 fuel controller. Really love the seats. If you’re on the fence about it just do it. They feel so much better than the stocks.

I also redid my gray interior to black and wrapped my headliner in suede. Did it myself. Not too bad for my first and only time.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 12

6. i3oricua

Got my new interior trim and put it in. Have a few pieces that I still need to get fixed but overall they look great.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 12

Pedrödelabongo likes this.
  7. i3oricua

Received my PRV and an upgraded fuel pressure sensor.

I accidentally dropped the PRV when I was trying to thread it in and t went into the deepest, darkest crevice my engine had. I had to take off the whole intake manifold to get to it. What was supposed to be a 30 minute job took me like 4-5 hours!!! *♂️

Also installed a small fire extinguisher on the passengers side. Just in case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 12

8. i3oricua

Started putting together a couple of things. Got a vent pod on eBay. A guy in Spain makes them. Just have to install it in he car. Mounted my AFR gauge in it.

[​IMG]

Also installed a rocker switch to wire up a kill switch to my fuel pump. Feeling a little paranoid lately and I want some added security. Just have to put it all back in the car this weekend.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. i3oricua

Well in the last few weeks I’ve done a few things but nothing major. Replaced some couplers for intercooler piping and intake. Put in a new intake by RamAir and did a DIY project in my valve cover. I used some high temp epoxy on it to seal the crack at the seams on he inside. Seems to help with getting oil in the intercooler pipes quite a bit. One thing I will say is try to keep the epoxy as thin as possible and avoid putting it anywhere you’re expecting the valve cover gasket to provide a seal. I had to scrape some of it off because the gasket wasn’t getting a good seal and started leaking oil that way. [​IMG][​IMG]

After all that I’ve dropped my car off with the tuner and they’ve installed my new intake manifold and JHM Walbro LPFP and he’ll be finishing the tune today hopefully. They did a smoke test and found the vacuum pump to have a leak so they’re replacing that. Hope that’s it and I’ll report back once that’s all said and done.

I have a video of the leak that I’ll post up once I figure out a way to do that.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvthiyCcaP29g_EdpIwPV2EQiNCAMw

10. i3oricua

Got the car back today. New intake manifold on almost all the leaks are gone with the exception of one actually coming from the lid of the catch can. I’ll see if I can fix that. Think it’s missing the rubber grommet that was there before.

He also finished up the tune since I was able to replace the failing injectors and the upgraded PRV. They weren’t able to do the walbro fuel pump so I’ll do that on my own this Sunday hopefully. I know they usually do videos of their dynos so I’m hoping they did one of mine and post it up. If they do I’ll link it up. Here’s the final dyno sheet. The blue is/are with the most current tuning he did. Really smoothed out the graph.

[​IMG]

Boost comes on nice and pulls really hard. I think I still have a boost leak even though they didn’t find one. I’m gonna change my DV from the rev C to the rev D. Just don’t trust that the rev C is holding the boost right. I could be wrong but it doesn’t hurt to change it I guess. If there’s nothing wrong with it then I’ll just see if I can sell it.

Still to come. A clutch install and sending the spare bottom off to get honed and balanced. I leave in about a week and a half and will be away from the car for a while so both of those things will have to wait until I return.

11. i3oricua

This week I did a few things.

Addressed a coolant leak that was coming from the thermostat so I swapped that out.

Changed my oil level sensor.

Swapped my front brakes out for EBC yellow stuff and cut off the brake sensor lines so I could stop getting the sensor warnings.

Finally installed my Walbro LPFP that I purchased from JHM. Take note that I’m FWD and for whatever reason the bracket does not fit the pump right. I had to dremel out a big portion of the bracket to make sure everything fit fine.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Avatar

13. i3oricua

Sanded and painted my Rotiform BLQ today. I had one that I curbed over a year ago and Rotiform stopped making it so I couldn’t find a replacement hence why I bought the wheels I have on the car now. Came out pretty good in the end. Sanded and painted. Some before and afters. A little color difference but you’d have to be really close to notice and the sun would have to hit just right too.

14. i3oricua

Put the Rotiforms back on after about a year and some change if not running them due to some curbing I had done. Really love the way these look.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. i3oricua

Got my duckbill in today from ECS. I am non-sline and it fit perfectly on my trunk.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. i3oricua

Spent the last few days working on my grill. Did some cutting. Some hacking. Some priming. Some painting. Went to the store and asked them for the ugliest black they had and so they gave me the can below so I could use it on my grill. Just got a few finishing touches I need to do to it but it’s coming along. In the meantime the weather is nice so I’ve been riding my bike.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. i3oricua

Thanks. I’m not happy with the up close view of it. It looks great from any other distance but up close I’m not happy with.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. i3oricua

Got tired of painting my trunk trim piece so I wrapped in carbon fiber since that will be my continuing theme as parts continue to arrive. I actually took my time, used a heat gun, and am very satisfied with the result.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. i3oricua

Put my Forge Diverter valve on with the correct spring. Holds boost very well. Also, was finally able to install my new valve cover. I have a few things to figure out. I want to cover up my timing belt but the cover is just flimsy and loose if I leave it on so I’ll find a solution soon. And I need a proper way to seal the extra bung on my intake that’s not being used now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. i3oricua

So when I was home (I'm away from home for a little bit for some work related training) I was messing around with VCDS and managed to get it working long enough to log my boost with one of the 4 springs I have for my Forge Diverter valve. For reference I have this one:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-forge-parts/20t-diverter-valve/fmdvfsitv/

So this is with a red spring that is supposed to be used on setups of 30psi or more. It didn't work out the way I thought it might. I have since put in a blue spring that is rated for a lower psi setup. I haven't been able to log that spring yet but this is the one I have been able to. Again, this is not the correct spring, however it is not the spring I have installed now either.

I'll log again with the blue spring when I can get it working right (VCDS). I'll also post the excel file here once I can figure out how to do that.

View attachment 87766

Got my new clutch in. I’ll be dropping it off with the machine shop so they can balance everything for my block and then I can drop my rods and pistons in.

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. i3oricua

Replaced all the seals in my vacuum pump the other day. Really easy job. Hardest part is reaching the 3 Torx 30 screws on the back. Then you just have 5 Torx 25 bits on the back cover and you have to pop the nipple out using a screw driver in order to change that seal. Very easy. 3 seals in all to change.

I also found a crazy good deal on eBay for B8 throttle body which is larger than our standard one. Part #06E133062H. Too good to pass up but I have to get new couplers to be able connect my intercooler piping to it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. i3oricua

Welp....I learned something today. Don’t buy eBay car parts of you can avoid it. At least things that are not genuine and from China.

I was getting some crazy hesitation and cylinder 3 misfire so I replaced that spark plug and coil pack with some spare used ones I had. The problem persisted in 3rd gear at high boost. Luckily I had brand new plugs and coil packs that I had been holding on to that I was waiting to put in with my new forged bottom end when it’s completed. Bought the new parts from fcpeuro. I opted to put them in now and the car puts like a kitten. Gapped the plugs to .044 and everything is dandy. From now on I will not purchase important parts that I need to be brand new from eBay.

Did a little more work today. Installed the new throttle body. Much larger B8.5 throttle body (the opening). Had to order a new coupler and band as well. Should be a few say but these temp ones will do. This install sucked to be honest just because I jumped in to it unprepared for the work. Had to drill out the holes a little to get the screws/bolts to fit. Had to helicoil the intake manifold to get the screws to tighten tight.

Took it out for a moderate drive. Nothing over 40mph. Feels like there’s more low end early on but could just be in my head. I’ll report back after a harder test drive.

Also changed out the low pressure fuel sensor while I was there.

[​IMG]

23. i3oricua

Been collecting parts for the car and chasing a fueling problem (at least I think it is because of my VFIZ readings for my LPFP). I get some fuel cuts at full throttle at the upper range if the RPMs. I have a newish JHM upgraded LPFP installed so I don’t think that’s the culprit. But ever since I installed the car doesn’t crank as easily so I’m a bit baffled. I’ve changed my HPFP twice, albeit with some used ones that I don’t think were very reliable. Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new HPFP. Should arrive in a few days.

Also bought and picked up a ton of parts to convert my car to Quattro. Now I just have to find some time. I am missing a few parts, namely a part to the gas tank. I also don’t have an exhaust for the Quattro setup. I’ll probably just have my current exhaust modified to work by a welder I use. I really like the way it sounds now and don’t want to risk it sounding like **** with something different.
    [​IMG]

I need to pick up my block. It’s been ready for a while but when I bring it home I don’t have an engine stand to put it up on. I’m ready to begin installing all the forged parts on it but I also want to paint it. Plan is to pick it up on Friday and maybe I can figure out the engine stand piece before then. I’ll post pics when I pic it up.

I also managed to snap off my pinch bolt head while trying to change my upper control arms. Yay for me. I have a replacement pinch bolt, just need to work in getting the seized one out.

[​IMG]

24. i3oricua

Changed my rear diffuser to my carbon fiber one. I actually like it. Wasn’t sure if I was gonna like it but I do. I do wish I had a more aggressive one but this will do. Had the all black one on there before. I’ve ordered new tips to fill in the valence, should arrive in a few weeks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Got new hardware to replace my lines for my meth setup. Also had a new tank made. This is quite an expensive way to do this but I can actually take this setup with me to another car in the future if I want. PLUS....less of a chance of any leaks. Once I change everything out I’ll try to sell some of the old parts...which doesn’t seem too go well lately.

Next up. Finish the engine build.

25. i3oricua

Found a vacuum line coming off my wastegate that had some rips in it from the heat of the manifold. Hopefully this solves my P0234 overboost code and maybe my P0299 boost leak. I’m not really too worried about the boost leak code but the overboost was driving me crazy for like a month or two now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also, I got these little winglets and I don’t know whether I like it or not. I’m gonna put them on for now and give it a few days. Let me know what y’all think. A good friend says, “no, too busy”. But I’m trying to give them a chance. Normally I wouldn’t care what others think but I’m at a fork right now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. i3oricua

I finally went and picked up my short block from getting cleaned up and balanced out. I inquired with a shop about putting it together for me but they haven’t got back to me yet and I think they may charge an arm and a leg so I’ve been watching videos all day on installing pistons and I think I can handle it. Checking my parts and I don’t have main bearings so I had to order some new ones. Bit the bullet and got the high end race Mahle bearings so I’ll have to wait for those to arrive. In the meantime I think I might go to the shop tomorrow and put the pistons together to get things ready but I have to see if I can some assembly lube first. Gonna finally get this thing going and quit talking about it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. i3oricua

Woohoo! Got the block back about a week ago. I was sent some wrong parts so I had to reorder some stuff hence the wait. JE pistons install with Rods and ARP hardware. Installed the new water pump tonight, new rear main seal, and new front seal. Gonna try to pick up a new thermostat and tensioner and probably take some time off work so I can finish everything up.

In other news, I’m taking some time off of work in about a week to drop everything in (swap parts over). I also ordered some Integrated Engineering valve spring la and retainers. They’ll take a little bit to arrive so I’ll have to pull the head later and install them. Luckily I have ARP head studs so it should make the job tolerable.

[​IMG]

28. i3oricua

Changed my headlight bulb today....

Man this was way more involved than I thought. Tomorrow I’ll swap everything over to my forged block and hopefully start putting it back in by the end of the day. Taking off the head will be interesting. Never done it before so I have to do some reading if I can find anything on how to do it.

Some rough spots for me was the shift linkage, the starter, and all the harness connections. I tried pulling the ECU and cables but there was more there than I was willing to keep dealing with.

29. i3oricua

Welp. Progress. Albeit much less than I had hoped. Swapped most parts over. Installed my newish oil pump with the balance shafts deleted. Removed transmission and stock clutch. Don’t think the clutch had much life left in it. Last thing I need is to get the head off and transfer it over. The valves could use a good cleaning and I need to change the valve seals but I think I might wait on those since the clock is working against me. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

30. i3oricua

Spent a majority of the time on the head today. If it had been a straight forward swap then I think I would have the engine in the car by now but I got the valve seals replaced and the valves cleaned real quick. It was worth it. They came out great.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HOWEVER....I broke a bolt off on the cam cradle. I was torquing them down to 15 ft lbs but I think I must have misread and it was supposed to be much less.

[​IMG]

I don’t know what I’m gonna do about. I might try to drill it out and retap the hole. I guess the smart thing to do would be to remove the cam cradle and then tap it that way but I’m getting worn down at this point.

31. i3oricua

Made some progress today. Had to go backward to move forwards. Pulled the head off and tapped the hole and put in an helicoil then stole a bolt from the outside of the cradle and used it on the cams. Repurposed a steel bolt and made it work.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Took me a while to set the timing too. Wanted to make sure it was right and not off a tooth or anything. I’m happy with. I’ve put most of the motor back together now. Tomorrow I’ll get the clutch and transmission in and have it bolted up. Might even be able to fire it up and drive it home. Should be a good day if I work hard and quick.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

32. i3oricua

Got the engine in today but little things really held me up. Finding little connectors and the transmission took a little to get in too. And then connecting the line later and blah, blah, blah. If anyone ever decides to do something like this get a friend to help. It makes it much more enjoyable.

Clutchmasters flywheel

[​IMG]

Clutchmasters clutch and pressure plate

[​IMG]

Engine and trans together

[​IMG]

Getting ready to go in

Took a while but got it in the engine mounts points

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hopefully the last of it is tomorrow and I actually roll out. I know I hoped that would have been today but no joy.

33. Avatar

34. i3oricua

I got the car back together today. Started her up and got misfire codes and the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor. I obviously have to bleed the slave because it leaked the fluid when I pulled the trans. I’ll get that done tomorrow and I hope that is the real problem with that. Cleared the misfire, turns out I didn’t connect the #2 injector. Still have to put the intake manifold back in but feeling better now. Thermostat is leaking and has been a steady problem. Luckily I have a spare one here that I’ll throw in tomorrow as well that should get her running. Fingers crossed. I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. This was a difficult one man job, at least for someone with no experience.

[​IMG]

35. i3oricua

Happy days. Car is back together and running. Running real nice on initial drive. Clutch engages really early which is much different than the stock clutch but very manageable. I hear some clutch chatter. I’ll get used to it over time. Few odds and ends that need some clean up. Refill power steering. Torque the wheels down to spec. Fully bleed the coolant. Fix my methanol lines. Overall I’m pleased. I’ll post some updated shots of my upgraded methanol line when I finish installing them.

Some pics of the car on first start. Little smoke from the turbo area but that’s normal to burn off the oil and other contaminants.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And back at home.

[​IMG]

Got my Integrated Engineering valve springs and retainers in along with the ARP cam tower/cradle bolts. I get retuned at the end of the month so I want to find time before then to pull the head and get these installed. Hopefully I can do that before then. Shouldn’t effect the tune but should give the tuner some more head room to tune with.

[​IMG]

36. i3oricua

My tune date has been pushed back to 4 April. The shop is getting their new dyno installed and it won’t be installed in time for my session. In the meantime I got my new carbon fiber side skirts finally. It took almost a year to get them. I don’t recommend Kuhlensport or what we he calls his business. It was a lot of run around to finally get these. I still have a lip coming too but, surprise, it’s been lost...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

37. i3oricua

Pulled the turbo off today and cleaned it off and replaced the oil return line. The old one was severely linked and pretty much collapsing on itself. I’m fairly positive this was the source of my smoking. I took it for a hard drive afterwards and had very little smoking. I think it’s just residual oil still trying to burn off. I think I’m in the clear but I’m gonna give it a few days and some hard drives. I have an overboost condition right now. I think it later related to my DV. I have the GFB DV+ in. I’ll try removing the spring and if that doesn’t work then I will remove the GFB all together.

Additional note about the turbo. The wheel spun freely and quietly with no shaft play whatsoever. Felt really good about that.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

38. i3oricua

Welp.....did some improvements and pretty sure I broke something bad. Overboosting was because I had my Tial wastegate setup wrong. Need to plug the lower air ports and let the top one vent to air, meanwhile run one line from one of the lower ports to my N75. I also re-ran my catch can lines because they were kinked and I think they were at least partly responsible for my car smoking so bad. Because if that same crank case pressure I think I damaged my rear main seal and so now I have a really terrible idle and back firing during driving. I’ve parked the car and am waiting for my iABED rear main seal to come in. I hope that’s the last of it all and the car will run fine until I go in for a tune again.

Some pics of old catch can routing and new.

[​IMG][​IMG]

39. i3oricua

Did some compression testing and leak down testing today. Cheap eBay tools so I’m gonna retest with a second set to rule out the tester.

Compression results 120, 120, 120, 125

Consistent but low

Leak down showed compression loss in cylinder two. Weird because of the steady results across the board on the compression test. Anyways, cylinder two had hissing coming from the exhaust which points to a burnt exhaust valve. Doesn’t explain the smoke but I also had some faint hissing from oil filler hole and the dip stick tube which may indicate rings. But it was really faint. I also did it on a cold engine but the results may be negligible on a warm engine. I’ll retest tomorrow or Friday on a warm engine and see what it says. Either way I’ll be removing the head this weekend and drop it off at the machine shop for new valve stem seals and see what the valves look like. I’ll be able to look at the piston walls and see if they’re scarred as well.

I also did a boost leak test on the engine with a piece I bought from boostleaktester.com Near little product. I found my intake manifold was leaking pretty bad. Luckily I had a spare one which I was able to swap in. Should have just left it off and pulled the head. Getting tired of taking these parts off.

40. i3oricua

Back at it again. Just waiting on my valves so I can take the head in to get finished and I’ll throw it back together and back in the car. Got it out and drained the fluids. I’ll start tearing it down after work and strip down the block after work today. Took me about 4 1/2 hours to get it out. Not too bad.

41. i3oricua

Minor work done today. Got the transmission, clutch, flywheel off. Then got it on the engine stand. Only worked on it for about 45 minutes. I’ll put some more time into it tomorrow night. The goal is to have stripped down to bare block by Wednesday night. Let’s hope I can get it done by then.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

42. i3oricua

Tore it down quite a bit. Tomorrow I’ll finish tearing the head off and getting the pistons out of the block and the crank too. Hopefully it all goes well and I’ll get it over to the shop on Thursday. Still waiting on my valves to come in and I get the head done.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

43. i3oricua

I got everything torn apart and will drop the block off tomorrow to get the internals put in. The old block is pretty messed up. The cylinders definitely washed out from the RS4 injectors and you can see the results in the pics. I’ll be putting S3 injectors back in since I’m at least tuned for those right now. I thought the valves got burnt up but they look ok. Either way, new Ferrea valves are on the way and I’ll drop the head off when they get here.