ECP Maf sensors...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Over quite a few threads now I've seen people have problems maf related , one of the first questions asked is... "Ecp Bosch maf?"
Ive been running one of these for about 3 years now, to my knowledge I have no issue with it,
I asked at ECP the other day , are their Bosch maf's seconds or something?
The reply of the manager was "no, they are genuine Bosch items, reason for them being cheaper than dealers was that they (Bosch) fit new probes into used housings,
is this the maf's people have problems with ?

If you buy a maf with an x on the end of the part number is a refurb end unit.

i can't believe, that re-using a $3 maf housing is needed to make it cheaper than dealer!

How much do Ecp charge for a maf? TPS trade is £93 on part ex..

The part ex bit is because they all reuse the housings so I'm lead to believe?
by refurb what do you mean?
he said they all get new digital? Sensors regardless of dealer or Ecp?

IMG 20131030 194032box from ecp last week £84 ish from there ebay store, it says exchange on lable. the maf housing has less markings on it than original.

It was cheaper from their ebay site than on there web site also invoice said £106
Bosch MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor - Seat Leon (1M1), Audi TT, A6 (4B, C5), A3 (8L1) | eBay

Last edited:
I had 3 faulty MAF's from ECP in a row a few years back, got a refund and bought a GSF one, was perfect, despite seemingly being exactly the same product....

Reactions: silestanix
The part ex bit is because they all reuse the housings so I'm lead to believe?
by refurb what do you mean?
he said they all get new digital? Sensors regardless of dealer or Ecp?

lmao

"digital"

Analogue device... but what do you expect an ECP numpty to say when trying to be technical - hehe

Are they Fake Bosch or Real Bosch, as somewhere there was a rumour ecp got their "made" elsewhere not by bosch, but claimed it was "as good" - who knows if there is any credence to this however

any sensor i make sure is genuine, ECP in plymouth know this and only supply me with Genuine (what they buy from TPS next door) parts

Ive decided that my use of ECP has run its course, ive had some parts sent out that i wouldnt put on a field car let alone a road going one

Do they show fault as low power or only REALY show fault on a dyno when other things can be checked?
im not defending them, don't think I'm trying to,
Im wondering if they are all bad, if mine is bad? Car runs fine ( as far as I know ) it is slightly down on power but I put that down to turbo being 18 month old and maybe a soggy actuator? Boost leaks...
I can't REALY afford to just buy a new one from tps just to try . As in the real world road time would I notice it?.
if I would I will ring for a price tomorrow !

I am going / hoping do some logging with this maf at the weekend, the old one was showing 222 g/s, before I killed it by oiling the filter I think?

anyway might show some interesting results

mark

Is there a Yes/ No test to see if its dodgy?

Normally they under read when tired or they throw a torque limit exceeded fault code or MAF signal too low fault code... ESP light staying on is an indication too...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: silestanix
I dont have any codes. But the car aparently made more power when mapped than it does now... Dyno Loto?
I will have to try and get out this weekend and log it correctly.
My injectors should be here soon too so next job would be trying to "scale them in" on vag com? to make it safe to use with them in?
But thats a job im leaving out of my head until they turn up

Reactions: Westy
Map will need to be changed to accommodate injectors properly... all you can do in uni settings is take the extra fuel back out... the ECU will adapt out the difference anyway...

As for current power vs originally mapped power I would personally forget what it made then and concentrate of what you can do now... any number of things could be contributing to the deficit... engine wear, turbo wear (have seen turbo's with less than 50k on them perform worse than turbo's with double that), over optimistic dyno, dyno lottery etc... subjectivity at its best..

Mapping techniques on 20v's are in a new league these days, personally I would be looking at a full health check, fit your bigger injectors and get the car mapped again from Bill, Niki or Rick and go from there... maps of yesteryear are showing their age... get it sorted to how it is now not where it was then..

<tuffty/>

Reactions: silestanix and Westy
I only use the old numbers as a bench mark,
I know it will only be a fudge to get the injectors in and the car ready to map. I would like to sort the intercooler and tip before a map, The engine SHOULD be ok as it was built around 25k/30k ago,
But that could mean very little ,
Its a slow game this time of year to be honest.

I dont have any codes. But the car aparently made more power when mapped than it does now... Dyno Loto?
I will have to try and get out this weekend and log it correctly.
My injectors should be here soon too so next job would be trying to "scale them in" on vag com? to make it safe to use with them in?
But thats a job im leaving out of my head until they turn up

unless you have maf logs of that dyno showing g/s, timing, boost vs the latest dyno, its not going to be conclusive.
if for a given boost at an rpm I would expect to see the same airflow.... (presuming no leaks or mechanical changes) - if its significantly off (10% or more) then I would be suspecting summats up

Another tell tale, is if lambda adjust on block 001 gets more additive into high double digits during a logging run... indicative of under reading airflow (presuming fuel pressure is ok)

Thanks Bill.
I think the Dyno logs and print outs are on the site somewhere... or maybe it was tt forum of some kind... about the JBS05??
I will get out this weekend and lock what the car is currently doing and maybe have a small check of obvious things.