Economy - shockingly bad.

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
At the moment my S3 is costing me a bomb to run. I put £40 worth of Super unleaded in on Wednesday last week.

Filled up with another £40 today.

Have only done 125 miles to that £40 and that wasn't driving hard. Well, that hard. If fuel prices keep going up, I might have to think about swapping to a diesel I must admit. I spend sooooooo much money on fuel a month it's a joke.

Rant over.

Same here, I was off work last week so didn't bother filling up. I just put £25 and got about 90 miles out of it and that was just normal around town driving.

I can't think of anything I want as much as I want to have my S3 though so i'll probably just grin and bear it !

Tbh the s3's do seem to drink petrol, mine says im gettin 30mpg at the moment but doesnt seem it.

My 1.8t a3 does excellent economy.
I havent worked out how accurate the trip computer is, but on the last tank it reported an average of something like 41.5mpg.
I filled up with £40 vpower at about 125p a litre and that lasted about 310 miles. This was about 10 days ago.

Having said that, im not lugging any extra weight (boot is empty), and this is 80% motorway miles at ~65mph.

Last edited:
having recently swapped from an a3 1.8tqs to an s3 the s3 seems to be alot easier to drive at town speeds, simply because the K04 spools up that bit later, I used to have to try and change early or I'd be off lol. But I dont think ive started using more fuel since I swapped.

£30 -£35 a week gets me around 150 miles normally mate...and thats a mixture cos i do boot it daily when i get an open stretch

My S3 is averaging 24mpg, my rat run is mainly country lanes and B roads averaging 40mph (due to slow Mazda drivers as a rule)... it includes a steepish hill on the run home and some town driving in medium rush hour traffic (lots of lights)

I typically have to fill my car once a week as work + normal mileage means I do nearly 300 miles a week...

I am using my 1.3ltr Mk2 Golf for work now, bit cheaper on fuel but the hill still hurts the economy, great on the flat and through town though...

Sad fact of life these days that fuel is stupidly expensive, I certainly won't be selling the S3 anytime soon if I can help it but may end up putting a 1.4ltr 16v engine from a Polo in the Golf for a power vs economy compromise and use that as the daily driver..

<tuffty/>

Might be worth going for one of these switchable map units, might pay for itself in no time.

Well I dont really complain about the mpg usually but on friday I went for a test drive in a E46 M3, and when the sales man told me about the MPG... I was like :blink:

He said many people average around 25mpg and can get over 30mpg on a run, which iv looked on the net and seems accruate. The 1.8ts only seem to just accomplish that! But the BMW was beutiful. Not mentally fast but still effortless to overtake etc.

My main issue is doing 1000 miles a month or so..... Gets a spot expensive....

Based on my current consumption, thats costing me around or about £320 a month in fuel.

Ouch.

Welly, slightly off topic have you cleaned your maf, going to do mine now? is it worth it?

My S3 is averaging 24mpg, my rat run is mainly country lanes and B roads averaging 40mph (due to slow Mazda drivers as a rule)... it includes a steepish hill on the run home and some town driving in medium rush hour traffic (lots of lights)

I typically have to fill my car once a week as work + normal mileage means I do nearly 300 miles a week...

I am using my 1.3ltr Mk2 Golf for work now, bit cheaper on fuel but the hill still hurts the economy, great on the flat and through town though...

Sad fact of life these days that fuel is stupidly expensive, I certainly won't be selling the S3 anytime soon if I can help it but may end up putting a 1.4ltr 16v engine from a Polo in the Golf for a power vs economy compromise and use that as the daily driver..

<tuffty/>

1.4 16v, nah 1.9 130bhp pd unit from the mk4 golf and remapped it, 45-50 mpg and the same power as a gti.

Most of my journeys are ~16miles each way on back roads to golf at weekends, with the odd bit of spirited grin inducing fun, but usually a fairly gentle <NSL trundle. I usually get ~360-400 to a tank putting ~55litres in, giving a calculated approx 29-33mpg, with the DIS usually claiming 30-31.

Cheers,

Welly, slightly off topic have you cleaned your maf, going to do mine now? is it worth it?

No mate, never cleaned mine. I personally think it does nothing to help a problem - apart from possibly make it worse. I have heard some success stories, but not many. Ultimately, the MAF shouldn't be dirty as it is behind an air filter.

1.4 16v, nah 1.9 130bhp pd unit from the mk4 golf and remapped it, 45-50 mpg and the same power as a gti.

I have thought about this too but its a bit more work to get the oil burner in and I am still not quite ready to move to the dark side just yet...

The 1.4 16v motors respond well to throttle bodies too ;P

<tuffty/>

My main issue is doing 1000 miles a month or so..... Gets a spot expensive....

Based on my current consumption, thats costing me around or about £320 a month in fuel.

Ouch.

Yep sounds the same as me - best thing to do is never think about it tbh or you will end up on pistonheads looking at diesels !

Doesn't the clutch go straight away on these after map though? Looking at a large expense there...

Doesn't the clutch go straight away on these after map though? Looking at a large expense there...
depandant on millage, plenty of people out there running remapped tdi's. but if you were doing an engine conversion you'd probably consider changing the clutch at the sametime.

What would TB's do for your mpg thou?

Compared to the RX-8 the S3 is a diesel. I was well happy with 20mpg I was getting in mine in comparison to the 14mpg at the moment. £30 of fuel gets me about 80 miles.

...What would TB's do for your mpg thou?

Who cares!!! LOL.... just listen to the sound of open induction and feel the throttle response, all the mpg worries fade into the distance....

But seriously, using a DTA S40 ECU means I would have to run in batch mode so not the most economical solution, would have to go S60 to do it properly but tbh I am more likely just gonna use the stock Polo ECU... these engines have about 100bhp out the box and are pretty economical so in a lighter bodied Golf 2 should be quick enough for what I need it for... not gonna get too involved in modding the Golf, thats what the S3 is for ;P

<tuffty/>

yeah thats the problem with TB's they sound so good you just want to keep flooring it lol

Off topic. Mk1 chopper do you much on the kjet system and converting the fuelling system to saving else that aint pure crap!. Just asked as i presume you have a mk1 golf :D

Put a 9a in there tuffty, best engine for the golf :D, 40mpg too sometimes!.

i'm feeling this a little bit too.

put 45 quid of Tesco 99 in on thursday which took me to just under 3/4 of a tank.

drove 125 miles like an absolute fairy cake and i'm now showing half way between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark :(

That aint too bad, takes about 70 quid to fill up a tank so for 125 miles to £20 odd quid thatd be 375 too a full tank.

true, might just be i'm so used to diesel lasting ages lol

at some points when i'm driving the lowest i've seen the average mpg counter go is 13.8mpg which i thought was pretty horrendous.

My S3 doesn't do too bad on consumption, I beleive it is all to do with the car you had before and got used to. Mine averages about 34 MPG. On a big motorway trip though can get it up over 40MPG by cruising at 65. Compared to my MK1 GTi it is fantastic, If I put £20 of 99 RON in my S3 I'll get 100 miles about town, maybe just shy if I have been giving it some whereas if I put the same petrol in my MK1 I can only get 50 miles if I am lucky!! It sounds fantastic though and is very hard not to drive it in 2nd and 3rd as when you let off the gargle you get is nearly as good as the feeling you get when you plan your foot in the S3 in 2nd gear at 3000rpm.

J

at some points when i'm driving the lowest i've seen the average mpg counter go is 13.8mpg which i thought was pretty horrendous.
****** hell. What car have you got and what mods is it running to be getting such shocking MPG? :blink: