Econ Button

JohnboyC

Reaction score
My ECON button seems to have a mind of its own.......somedays I start the car up and the ECON Button is off (i.e. red indicator is off - which means the Aircon is on, but on other times the ECON is on (i.e. red indicator is on which means the aircon is off).

The operation of this switch seems totally **** about face to me.....anyone think the same ?

Can VAGCOM be used to ensure every time you start the car up that the aircon is off, i.e. ECON is on ?

...or am I talking utter crap here as I don't mind being corrected :unsure:

Thats a bit strange that. In honesty I keep my aircon all the time so never touch the ECON button. However when I start the car the aircon is always on, I have never started it and found the ECON light on.

Can anyone else add their opinion?

Do you ever manually adjust vent direction? Or leave it on AUTO? When I start mine from cold on AUTO it automatically diverts airflow to the windscreen - if it does this it may well turn the aircon on if you had left it turned off to help to demist the screen maybe?

Well, I find that if I leave it on AUTO, on the motorway I find the blower/air noise really noisy, but if I manually direct the flow from the mid vents and footwell vents (leaving the windscreen vents off) I find it a lot less noisy... which leads me to deduce its a crap design.....hopefully better in the B7.....

I always have mine on the econ setting and on auto (21-22c). I only use the AC when its hot.
When i start the car it always comes back on to the it was when i switched it off.
Are you using the auto setting? If not, that may be the problem.

I think the B6 aircon is notoriously poor :(

I've driven a few B7s and found their climate system to be identical to the B6. Although I have noticed they tend to be hotter despite leaving the temp setting the same as I would have used in our B6

I always found that the air-con was always noisy at motorway speeds, I used to just keep all the vents open to reduce the air flow onto the windscreen. When I had the TDi I used to leave the air-con on all the time too. Just set your temp and put it on auto and it should either stay on or off. If you then hit the windscreen button it will turn the air-con on to clear it faster..

dont mean to sound a bit thick here but can someone explain what the econ button does!! lol

also does anyone elses screen mist up (for a few seconds) as they turn their aircon on? mine does it all the time and is quite dangerous!!

dont mean to sound a bit thick here but can someone explain what the econ button does!! lol

also does anyone elses screen mist up (for a few seconds) as they turn their aircon on? mine does it all the time and is quite dangerous!!

I asked a similar question recently.

If you look for Staz1000 (Mod on here) - he has a link to a load of info about the aircon system on his sig.

Pressing the ECON button turns off the compressor for the aircon, this means that the blower etc works as normal but the air will not be cold - it's designed to help fuel economy. Personally I never use it, I feel that in a 1.1 Fiesta it may have a noticeable effect on economy, but on a 2.5 TDi the effect will be fairly minimal. I prefer to keep the aircon system operating fully all the time to prevent seals drying out and to keep the system lubricated etc.

Air conditioned air is not only cooler but it also has the moisture removed from it which is why it makes for such effective demisting. When the car is turned off I think that air would accumulate moisture again as it sits in the heating controls, so when the fan fires into life it will blow that air onto the screen causing the condensation you mentioned, from the mister warmer air. Then as the compressor cuts in and the conditioned drier air is blown on the screen it demists virtually instantly.

Pressing the ECON button turns off the compressor for the aircon, this means that the blower etc works as normal but the air will not be cold - it's designed to help fuel economy. Personally I never use it, I feel that in a 1.1 Fiesta it may have a noticeable effect on economy, but on a 2.5 TDi the effect will be fairly minimal. I prefer to keep the aircon system operating fully all the time to prevent seals drying out and to keep the system lubricated etc.

Air conditioned air is not only cooler but it also has the moisture removed from it which is why it makes for such effective demisting. When the car is turned off I think that air would accumulate moisture again as it sits in the heating controls, so when the fan fires into life it will blow that air onto the screen causing the condensation you mentioned, from the mister warmer air. Then as the compressor cuts in and the conditioned drier air is blown on the screen it demists virtually instantly.

Happens to me also and fully agree with what James has said.:iagree:

I have just had the same problem. Vag Com said i had a fault with the Air Con pressure switch. I changed this and it still didn't work.

I then got the air con recharged and it turned out to be low.

All seems to be fine now.