EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC BRAKE PADS for the RS3

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I'm repeating this post to commence a new thread, as it may well be a cure-all for some owners.

Pulled my 47i6 brake pads after 1750-miles if only to compare mine with those of others (Veneeringman) and yes, you've guessed right, my 47i6 pads are braking up around the edges and have chunks out of the pad centres too.

After much investigation of similar cars to the RS3 using the same Brembo brake caliper and their preferred none-OEM brake pad i.e., the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru Impreza, I got myself a set of EBC REDSTUFF ceramic brake pads.

Now, EBC do not yet have an REDSTUFF pad for the RS3 or TTRS*, so I ordered the Mitsubishi/Subaru fitment DP31210C.

Note*: I guess the reason these pads are NOT listed for the RS3/TTRS is due to the lack of a wear sensor - an OEM fitment. I do know that the interconnecting vehicle wear-sensor plug would be different between Audi, Mitsubishi, and/or Subaru; and this would necessitate EBC providing 3-different pad set-ups and we all know what happens to the cost of those pads then.

The REDSTUFF brake pads supplied do not have the 'slot' for the Audi brake pad wear sensor(s), but then Audi only fit them to one side of the RS3 anyway (?). So I cut the original (ok, so I had a spare) Audi sensor cable, solder-joined the 2-wires together, re-sleeved and sealed the cable, and then checked BLUEY's fault codes; none, so all ok.

Anyway, modified and fitted and out of the garage for an initial bedding-in and evaluation.

Two light-applications in the first 100-yards, just to feel the pedal travel, and I was already impressed. Three or four light applications from 30 to 10mph later and amazingly the pedal pressure to retardation rate were already an improvement over the 47i6 pads.

Seven-miles later and after 5 or 6-light applications of the brake pedal to slow from 70 to 30-mph and I was absolutely gob smacked!

A set of EBC REDSTUFF ceramic brake pads for the rear brakes is now on order...

I'll post photos of the brake sensor cable mod and pad installation later.

Attachments

• P1000400.jpg
    P1000400.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,290
Last edited:
Reactions: Vito, MBK, 8PARSY and 7 others
These pads are excellent, not for track.

A hard pad that can squeal till it beds in up to 1500 miles.

Love the low dust that washes off easily.

Reactions: 5CYL and 45bvtc
Just pulled the nearside front pads for a little look. These have now done 35-miles max and, as you can see, the bedding-in surface has been virtually eliminated and full-face contact has been achieved, and I'm very happy with that especially as it's running on an already 1785-mile old 47i6 brake disc.

Attachments

• M1000429.jpg
    M1000429.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,780
Reactions: 5CYL, Ghost, DAYTONA 500 and 2 others
Next: here's the brake pad sensor cable mod: 1) just cut the cable at the brake pad end, 2) strip the outer cover from both inner cables and join and solder together, 3) re-fit the outer tube, wrap over and seal, 4) refit.

Doing this will NOT raise a fault code in the system.

Attachments

• M1000426.jpg
    M1000426.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,692
Reactions: 5CYL, S3 AD, Ghost and 2 others
And fitted:

Attachments

• M1000432.jpg
    M1000432.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,454
  • M1000423.jpg
    M1000423.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,553
Reactions: 5CYL
Nice write up John :respekt:

I agree with your findings 100%

As you know I've just had a compete new set up i.e Disc's & pads from Stafford Audi, however following the 'Bedding in' procedure (and before it to be honest) i have already experienced signs that the squeal is present on the new set up, so as a result of speaking to you and even prior to driving Bluey my EBC Redstuff pads were ordered and should be here today.

I'm going to put these on the car tonight so they can be quickly mated to the new disc's, i'm convinced the makeup of friction material in the Brembo pads is causing MY squeal and eventually ruining the disc's, i agree with you that the disc's aren't the problem here.....we just need a Brake Pad that 'works' i.e good bite,no squeal and doesn't start disintegrating.

Reactions: 5CYL, DAYTONA 500 and 45bvtc
Nice write up John :respekt:

I agree with your findings 100%

As you know I've just had a compete new set up i.e Disc's & pads from Stafford Audi, however following the 'Bedding in' procedure (and before it to be honest) i have already experienced signs that the squeal is present on the new set up, so as a result of speaking to you and even prior to driving Bluey my EBC Redstuff pads were ordered and should be here today.

I'm going to put these on the car tonight so they can be quickly mated to the new disc's, i'm convinced the makeup of friction material in the Brembo pads is causing MY squeal and eventually ruining the disc's, i agree with you that the disc's aren't the problem here.....we just need a Brake Pad that 'works' i.e good bite,no squeal and doesn't start disintegrating.

Tonight, tonight...

I just can't wait for 'the' day-driver to get home tomorrow night with something nice for you, and George...

:yahoo:Well all done EBC pads fitted, seem superb from initial test drive

IMG 3553

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 45bvtc and DAYTONA 500
These were the 'new' Brembo pads fitted last week, they look like they are in trouble after less than 100 miles.

IMG 3549

IMG 3552

Reactions: 45bvtc
Well did some more miles in the car yesterday, i have to say these Redstuff pads are amazing so much bite and best of all no squeal.:yahoo:

John, great find :thumbsup:

Reactions: 5CYL, 45bvtc, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
What kind of price did you manage to pick the pads up for out of curiosity?

cheers

Kev

What kind of price did you manage to pick the pads up for out of curiosity?

cheers

Kev

£103.94 delivered (Camskill) for the FRONTS, and £65.64 delivered (Camskill) for the REARS, Kev.

Delivery of the REARS is immanent and they'll be fitted immediately (originals already removed) by yours-truly this afternoon. Photos posted and initial evaluation to be posted later.

The Brembo FRONT Sports pads are £140 (ish) and the Audi OEM FRONT ones £380, or so I'm given to believe...

Reactions: 8PARSY, T-800 and desertstorm
I am always up for saving money and getting improved performance by deviating from the norm. The fact that you knew these pads would fit because they were used on other cars with the same caliper gave you another choice.
Those Brembo pads do look quite bad considering the mileage. The problem with OEM pads I think is that they are subject to Audis RS tax that seems to apply to a lot of parts related to the RS cars. Also they are likely to not be as hard wearing as the EBC pads.
I used to use Yellow stuff in the Passat and was very happy with them however the brake dust was a little excessive, The red stuff pads are a good compromise in performance and price.
I had to do the same mod on the brake pad wear sensors on the Passat as the yellowstuff pads don't come with wear sensors.

Karl.

Reactions: 45bvtc and 5CYL
OK, REDSTUFF FRONT and REAR fitted and I'm:
Teeth_zps78e07f7e.jpg

And the pedal is so much better, less travel and loads more feel with the REDSTUFF; they look good in the calipers too:

Attachments

• M1000457.jpg
    M1000457.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,605
Reactions: 5CYL, 8PARSY, DAYTONA 500 and 2 others
And here's the difference between the original REAR Audi units at 7500-miles and the REDSTUFF: note that the 'soft' anti-squeal shim on the rear of the original Audi 'inner/piston' pad has already worn through to the backplate, and that the EBC pad has the more resilient 'metal' anti-squeal shim; just too good to be true.

I think this is me done with brake problems on the Audi RS3 in general, and BLUEY in particular:

Attachments

• M1000453.jpg
    M1000453.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • M1000452.jpg
    M1000452.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,349
  • M1000455.jpg
    M1000455.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,411
Reactions: 8PARSY, KKM, monkeyboy_marcus and 2 others
And the brake dust: where has all that black, smutty, brake dust gone? :search:

Reactions: 8PARSY, DAYTONA 500, warren_S5 and 1 other person
Well since the EBC pads were fitted on Monday evening I've had no squeal and the best bit ? Brake dust is virtually none existent!!!!

Reactions: 5CYL, 45bvtc, KKM and 1 other person
I'm tempted to buy some of these for the 5 as I've always felt Audi OEM pads have been overly dusty and prone to clunking and squeal. Might fit some when I'm painting the hubs and fitting the spacers.

Reactions: MrSkimo and T-800
Based upon what I've seen so far Warren you can't go wrong, my rear pads should be delivered tomorrow they will be on the car this weekend so things should get even better by all accounts.

Reactions: warren_S5
And the brake dust: where has all that black, smutty, brake dust gone? :search:

you should ask them to make a batch with proper audi connectors as there seams to be a demand for them, especially for us to lazy / half witted to mess about with them :)

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
If we could measure up demand that would be good.not sure I fancy modifying brake system on a car with less than 20 miles on the clock.
I know there are mixed reviews of EBC on this forum with others rating different brands. Revo have regularly used them with good results on their cars so I've seen them in action, but others rate Ferodo /others, so we may struggle to get the volumes required to make it a goer.

If we could measure up demand that would be good.not sure I fancy modifying brake system on a car with less than 20 miles on the clock.
I know there are mixed reviews of EBC on this forum with others rating different brands. Revo have regularly used them with good results on their cars so I've seen them in action, but others rate Ferodo /others, so we may struggle to get the volumes required to make it a goer.

but we are only talking about fitting an audi connector on the end so that they can be plugged in to give a low pad warning, rather than soldering it yourself, not a retooling or anything complex as I am sure they already have the right connectors

Reactions: warren_S5
To be honest it's so easy to fit them and modifying the wear sensor isn't an issue, just snip the 2 wires and solder them together covering up with heat shrink and or tape.
Save the bit you cut off to re-attach should need be at a later date.

I've just fitted the rears this morning, as john says the difference is unbelievable !

My rears were Ferodo pads (factory)

I spoke to EBC on Friday and they are looking at doing an RS3 pad at some point.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, DAYTONA 500, 45bvtc and 1 other person
To be honest it's so easy to fit them and modifying the wear sensor isn't an issue, just snip the 2 wires and solder them together covering up with heat shrink and or tape.
Save the bit you cut off to re-attach should need be at a later date.

so your going to pop round to mine with your soldering iron then?

Reactions: Kelza

Great, now how do i get the old pads out of my car to get to the connectors to put on the new pads?

You should take into account I have no tools, no experience, and that my allocated car parking space has a covenant on it preventing any DIY apart from washing the car.

Maybe I could take it to Audi, ask them to take the pads out, give me a loan car, I could come home solder the connectors, and drive back to Audi.

Except my dealer will not fit none Audi parts so I then need a low loader to take it to an Indy to fit the new pads.

I suspect it would be a lot easier if they just fitted the correct connector to them :)

I think everyone in the 8p section knows my opinion on these.....

But for the sake of another post.....I didn't find them to be significantly better than the stock pads,with slightly better initial bite,but nothing else was better,and noise(esp squealing) was much worse.

I've tried Ferodo DS2500s,which are a decent road use pad,and now switched to Mintex 1155 pads,which may be a bit much for some,but offer excellent bite and resistance to fade,if they're available in the right size.

Reactions: kwistof and warren_S5
Bit of an update

Had the Redstuff pads in about 4 weeks now, No squeal / funny noises, still great stopping power/good bite, discs still look great, very low brake dust compared to oem Audi/Brembo/Pagid pads, so all in all ****** fantastic !!!!:thumbsup:

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and 45bvtc
Bit of an update

Had the Redstuff pads in about 4 weeks now, No squeal / funny noises, still great stopping power/good bite, discs still look great, very low brake dust compared to oem Audi/Brembo/Pagid pads, so all in all ****** fantastic !!!!:thumbsup:

SNAP! :yes:

Update part 2

Just rang EBC to see if the listed pad for the RS 3 is in production, answer is not yet

HOWEVER, they said i can use Pad number DP41908 which is the yellowstuff pad, it is listed on their site as for Aston Martin / Ferrari / Renault Megane / Volkswagen

Interestingly they have a wear sensor cut out that looks very similar to Audi...........

They also say the pads are 1.8-2mm shorter, but they will supply a wrap around shim to counter this and they have supplied them to an RS 3 owner already, who has successfully fitted them to their car .....

They also said I could try them if they were no good then send them back for a full refund !!

Useful if anyone on here was thinking of an alternative pad.

Just thought I'd share.....

BE VERY, VERY, CAREFUL: DO the maths... :think:

And the pedal is so much better, less travel and loads more feel with the REDSTUFF

Me and BLUEY are so convinced that SANDY (TT) is having the same treatment later today... :thumbsup:

Reactions: 5CYL, DAYTONA 500, RS3copilot and 1 other person
Would you be able to post a link as the interweb is a bit temperamental where I am just now, cheers! :)