Ebay Fmic Arrived.

neap38

Reaction score
Hey just received my fmic ebay special edition. It has thread holes on the top of the intercooler itself which looks as if its for mounting. It hasn't however come with any mounting brackets or screws.

Looking at other DIY threads, I cant tell how or if the FMIC is being supported or if it is just being held in place by the metal pipes and rubber joiners... (surely not?) ...

Some of the intercooler fins are slightly damaged too, id be happy to keep it still unless I was actually supposed to receive mounting brackets and screws with the kit.

Can anyone shed any light? Was hoping to crack on with it this weekend.

Thanks x

Threaded holes... no screws or brackets.

Attachments

• 20140916_201453.jpg
    20140916_201453.jpg
    948.7 KB · Views: 517
You have to make your own brackets... there should be pics in the FMIC thread..

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Tj 0785
Nearly all the Ebay FMIC are universal items that don't come with fixings. If it says that it should have them in the ad then you need to pursue that but most of the time fitting is a matter of DIY design, as above some aluminium angle and a selection of nut and bolts will be enough to sort it. Certainly don't leave the intercooler just supported on the pipes that won't end well.

Yea, I removed the air-con condenser in order to sit the cooler back a bit which meant no crash bar trimming and (most importantly) I kept my fogs AND grills!

I think one of these coolers would support a k04 hybrid fine... Obviously in these situations bigger is better but I don't think you'll see any hugely detrimental effects from using one of these @ 350ish brake

How much has all of this cost you? Do you reckon I could drop the same into my S3 and still keep the fogs / grilles with no crash bar trimming?

All in it cost me around 280 quid or so, the most expensive part being the MAP sensor pipe as forge are the only people that do them... Thanks forge!

So long as you don't mind living without air con I see no reason you couldn't do a similar thing with the S3 as the front end is pretty much the same... Obviously all the pipework will be different though as the inlet mani is the other way round

Where is the best place to pick up some Aluminium Angle? I've tried Homebase, Screwfix and Wicks but with not much luck.

Ah I see, so do you know what the technical word for it was for if I'm doing a search on their website? No reason imparticular, i must of picked up on the ally from another post but the more rigid the better.

Thanks

Where as I'm sure there is a lot of information in the FMIC thread I didn't have the time to siv through it so it wasn't that helpful.

A few pics of the bracket that was put together. Steel Angle(25mm each edge), bolted on to the FMIC and which in return was bolted straight through the middle of the Crash Bar. FMIC sits flush at the top of the crash bar which seems to give it a good position when fitting the bumper back on.
20140921 150206
20140921 175016
20140921 150155
20140921 190718

Reactions: VAG-Slag and Mrharris2
Where as I'm sure there is a lot of information in the FMIC thread I didn't have the time to siv through it so it wasn't that helpful.

Mate, 100% with you.... Way too much info in the "stickys". It annoys me when people get aggy about a FMIC question sayin "read the ******* stickys!" . . If you have an actual life or are dyslexic as me then it is simply not possible to read everything there.

Nice work on the install, think that's a fairly unique way of doing it... Hopefully the write up will also come in handy for someone else who hasn't got the time to sift through the FMIC woft in the stickys :icon thumright:

Reactions: S3Jak and weasle1uk
Nice job man looks good. Is there an increased sound of air suction have you noticed?

this is an interesting question
i fitted my fmic saturday and the induction has definately changed volume and note.
sounds better for sure.
did you notice this neap?

Reactions: Mrharris2
To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in noise. However I can definitely tell a difference in engine response which seems to stay put no matter how hard/ long its been driven.

Had a problem with 2 pipes popping off but I'm sure that will be a quick fix when I get the time to look at it properly.

Really pleased though.

Best of all, all mods are up to date to drop in and play a Hybrid Turbo :rock:

Reactions: antowens and VAG-Slag
Yeah my mates that have fitted them said the same as you daz increase in suction volume and different tone slightly. I would expect that anyway having larger piping and decent air volume going through infact I'd be disappointed if I didn't lol.

Any chance if the eBay link to this FMIC?
I'm in need if one soon!

I
Thanks dude :icon thumright: I just worked out what I needed (with a little help on here) and ordered it all from AutoSiliconeHoses & MrSilicone on ebay (they're actually the same company) can try work out what I used exactly if you like?

If you could that would be awesome mate! Was gonna get an ebay cooler to do but i'm all for no air con for that! Looks so mint

I

If you could that would be awesome mate! Was gonna get an ebay cooler to do but i'm all for no air con for that! Looks so mint

Sorry for the late reply mate, been proper busy! . . Off the top of my head here's what I used in the order I used it:

54-63mm silicone reducer off the turbo
63mm ally coupler
90 degree silicone bend
ally DV t-piece
45 degree silicone bend over the cam cover
45 degree ally bend past the starter motor
90 degree silicone bend
90 degee ally bend
90 degree silicone bend into cooler
90 degree silicone bend (ally coupler)
90 degree silicone bend
90 degree ally bend (into TB pipe)
And finally a creation motorsports TB pipe with a forge map sensor pipe butchered into it

Hope that makes sense? . . Here's what it looks like not in the car to give you a better idea:

And the TB pipe + map sensor:

To be honest, if you are going to do it like this, it might make more sense to go for an ally bend off the turbo/reducer into a silicone t-piece and then amend the rest of the pipework accordingly... I only did mine like that as I went for a slightly more unusual arrangement and welded the DV spout to the t-piece.

Of course you can always do something completely different with the DV! . . That's just how I ended up doing it.

One last thing you will also need a take for the n75, I just tapped a brass fitting like this one into the ally t-piece and sealed it with chemical metal:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vacuum-Pu...649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cd66b7e39

Hope this helps dude, good luck! . . Will be interested to see how you do :icon thumright:

Last edited:
Reactions: higgysmalls
Nice neat fit and install behind the crash bar, looks good. Shame the core size is probably a little too small for a hybrid KO4 :(

I believe this would be the better size for the K04 platform turbo; 600 x 300 x 76 mm. That's what I would go for.

Sorry for the late reply mate, been proper busy! . . Off the top of my head here's what I used in the order I used it:

54-63mm silicone reducer off the turbo
63mm ally coupler
90 degree silicone bend
ally DV t-piece
45 degree silicone bend over the cam cover
45 degree ally bend past the starter motor
90 degree silicone bend
90 degee ally bend
90 degree silicone bend into cooler
90 degree silicone bend (ally coupler)
90 degree silicone bend
90 degree ally bend (into TB pipe)
And finally a creation motorsports TB pipe with a forge map sensor pipe butchered into it

Hope that makes sense? . . Here's what it looks like not in the car to give you a better idea:

And the TB pipe + map sensor:

To be honest, if you are going to do it like this, it might make more sense to go for an ally bend off the turbo/reducer into a silicone t-piece and then amend the rest of the pipework accordingly... I only did mine like that as I went for a slightly more unusual arrangement and welded the DV spout to the t-piece.

Of course you can always do something completely different with the DV! . . That's just how I ended up doing it.

One last thing you will also need a take for the n75, I just tapped a brass fitting like this one into the ally t-piece and sealed it with chemical metal:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vacuum-Pu...649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cd66b7e39

Hope this helps dude, good luck! . . Will be interested to see how you do :icon thumright:
Some man! Thanks mate! Deffo want to go for that set up, will take plenty of photos and give you a message when its done! :)

@VAG-Slag got most of the pipework here and ordered the maf sensor pipe, are you running a k03s? Not sure if it is a 54 - 63mm reducer i will also need

thanks mate :hi:

awesome mate thanks :icon thumright: had a little bump on my way to work so the intercooler is the silver lining to that cloud! will let you know how i get on

@VAG-Slag got my intercooler on and running, welded up a mount which means the full crash bar and intercooler assembly come off in one piece, can be mounted to any mk4 platform (i presume!) well chuffed with it though mounted my DV on the cold side but cant see it in the pic

096EB35B 8CB9 4785 BD31 5FEB50FAD473

Reactions: Mrharris2