Ebay fees

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Is it me, or are ebay fees a bit on the ridiculous these days?
Even on a half price listing day, when you add the final evaluation fee to a sold item, they are reeling it in!

Why else do you think they don't mind writing down their Skype purchase to the tune of $1.5bn (give or take $1bn)...

Thing is though, where else can you advertise a product to so many people for such a small(ish) amount. If you were to sell the same items in a local paper you can use the free ads section. Problem is that only people in your area will see the item for sale.

I've also had people bidding on item I have put up for sale. All you need is two people who want the item and you can get much more than you imagined. I once sold a 6 month old DV camera for £75 more than I bought it for brand new.

I do agree that eBay are the only ones really making any money here but I bet nearly everyone on here looks on eBay first when they need something for the car? Right?

I agree, my ebay fee's have doubled over the last few years.

Ebay makes more money than many medium sized countries.

Yeah, and then you add on the money they make if someone pays via Paypal, those mofos could fund a revolution...

thing is tho i wouldnt be moaning if i had my name under the bit where it says director lol and is suspect none of you would either lol

They can charge what they like as far as I'm concerned, excellent service that's save me a fortune and made me quite a bit of money. Charges are dependent on how you advertise the product, so if you're stupid then it can cost you a fortune.
As for PayPal, they only charge the same as credit card companies charge businesses, so a total bargain IMO, anything not to have to queue up in a bank to pay a cheque in.

AndyMac said:
They can charge what they like as far as I'm concerned, excellent service that's save me a fortune and made me quite a bit of money. Charges are dependent on how you advertise the product, so if you're stupid then it can cost you a fortune.
As for PayPal, they only charge the same as credit card companies charge businesses, so a total bargain IMO, anything not to have to queue up in a bank to pay a cheque in.

Good points but I think it is no way as good value as it used to be, the customer service is crap and if someone rips you off your deffinately on your own. Theres far too many scammers on there and Ebay dont seem to want/cant do anything about it

I dont offer Paypal as a payment method for the stuff I sell unless the winner of my auction pays any associated fees, why should I be out of pocket because they are too lazy to send money recorded delivery, use BACs (which is free and proveable) postal orders or cheques (which take about a minute to pay in)...

The amount of ******* that win stuff off me then blindly send money via Paypal to my email address which doesnt even have an account associated with it is beyond belief.

AndyMac said:

Of course Andy, I don't dispute paying the charges, but it seems they are a lot more expensive than they was 6 months ago.
My auctions is usually just basic text with a reasonably accurate description of what you are going to get and a pic or two, job done.... why pay the extra for fancy borders etc.?

It's still only 15p to place an ad with one picture and then a max of 5.25% on whatever it sells for. Also depends what you start the bidding at of course, I always just use 99p, don't think it's changed dramatically in the last few months. Jo you're obviously paying the price for selling stuff at highly inflated prices!