eBay dispute

smudge_don

Reaction score
Hi guys

I sold my TTRS recently on eBay to someone in Greece, they paid promptly and i sent out the item in the next couple of days.

With the box being very heavy, i did my best to use as much bubble wrap and tape as possible in order to stop things getting damaged on it's way to Greece.

The buyer has now openend an eBay dispute against me saying that the item is not as described because there are a few little marks on the calipers where they have obviously been bashed around in transit. The paint on the calipers was only done recently, and the pictures that i used for eBay were taken a few weeks before listing them on the site. You can clearly see that the setup looks like new, so one can only assume that they have been damaged in transit.

So i now have this case open against me, what can i do?

Offer him a refund. He must pay the return shipping fee and make sure he sends it tracked and insured as you wont issue his refund until you get them back.

If it was damaged in transit then they should be liable for it I would of thought.

Was it insured? If so does the buyer have to take it up with the company or the seller?

i always mention that damage in transit is not my responsibility - don't know if that protects me on eBay's rules but as above i'd imagine that the courier should be liable for correcting any damage. sorry to hear you've had such trouble with selling these brakes mate :(

you have to take it up with the shipping company
u sent them down to u as above offer refund he pays shipping u refund when you have them back
he will win buyer always does or offer a part refund so he can get them sorted but if u do make sure u get pics of any damage so u can claim from shipping company

Last edited:
he will win buyer always does or offer a part refund so he can get them sorted but if u do make sure u get pics of any damage so u can claim from shipping company

+1, but also if you do offer part refund, make sure you do it through the dispute resolution centre so you have it recorded, and make a condition that he gives you good feedback for resolving the issue with your generous offer. You don't want to give a part refund privatley as he could still sting you through Paypal and Ebay.

£50 refund should be enough for new powder coatings surely?

I personally wouldn't have sent the item out the country in the first place. Too many skanking nobbers on fleabay, it's too much hassle than it's worth.

Hope it all works out for ya.

get the **** to send you some pics, and if damaged then offer refund he pays return shipping.transfer all your paypal funds to your bank and remove bank/credit card details.paypal has a habit of debiting

How do you know he didn't drop them when he removed them from the box? I have no idea if he did or not,just askin' :S

Were they insured Via carrier?

I suspect if you don't refund you will get a chargeback i expect, but I would head down the either you refund him something and he keep them, you organise the carrier and will refund when you have them. Then look at claiming from the carrier

The first mistake you made was posting anything out of the country.

The guy may now be fraudulantly using the system again'st you, has he sent you pictures of the damage? did you state in your auction that you were not liable for any damage in transit?

All you can do first is find out what his intentions are, does he want his money back in full, partial refund?

And then you go from there, im assuming this guy is expecting to get a full refund and keep the item, my advice would be to get him to post it back if he isnt happy at his own expense and once received claim with the shipping company for the damage.

If it was damaged in transit then they should be liable for it I would of thought.

Was it insured? If so does the buyer have to take it up with the company or the seller?

Ye it was insured, and they've "apparently" contacted Fedex who have said that the box was in tact so they won't do anything

+1, but also if you do offer part refund, make sure you do it through the dispute resolution centre so you have it recorded, and make a condition that he gives you good feedback for resolving the issue with your generous offer. You don't want to give a part refund privatley as he could still sting you through Paypal and Ebay.

£50 refund should be enough for new powder coatings surely?

I was thinking of doing a refund for the postage just to shut this guy up. He's being a total knob about it

I personally wouldn't have sent the item out the country in the first place. Too many skanking nobbers on fleabay, it's too much hassle than it's worth.

Hope it all works out for ya.

He's got 100% feedback and paid me via paypal straight away

I usually don't send abroad but i had no other offers and just wanted them gone

get the **** to send you some pics, and if damaged then offer refund he pays return shipping.transfer all your paypal funds to your bank and remove bank/credit card details.paypal has a habit of debiting

I've seen pics and tbh the damage is minimal to the calipers. It's just a bit of chipped paint

I've got no funds in my paypal at the moment, but i don't know whether cancelling the account is worth it as i use ebay and paypal a lot

How do you know he didn't drop them when he removed them from the box? I have no idea if he did or not,just askin' :S

Ye i was thinking that the damage may have been caused by them, but you never know do you

All i know is the condition that they were in when i sent them out was near perfect. Nothing like the pics that he's sent me

The first mistake you made was posting anything out of the country.

The guy may now be fraudulantly using the system again'st you, has he sent you pictures of the damage? did you state in your auction that you were not liable for any damage in transit?

All you can do first is find out what his intentions are, does he want his money back in full, partial refund?

And then you go from there, im assuming this guy is expecting to get a full refund and keep the item, my advice would be to get him to post it back if he isnt happy at his own expense and once received claim with the shipping company for the damage.

No way is he getting a full refund before sending anything back to me

TBH, i'd rather just give him a little back if i really had to, saves me having to wait around to get them back and stop the hassle

Cheeky **** replied to my last message saying:

"I'll send the pictures to eBay so that they can decide. It's only fair on both of us"

How the **** is that fair on me?! Getting blamed for something that is not my fault and out of my control

Never ever sending anything abroad ever again

If sent Fedex he would have had to sign for the parcel, and he wouldn't have done so if the packaging was damaged, foreign scam artist.

Personally, I won't send anything off the UK mainland, and that includes the Isle of Wight !

If the box was intact and the damage wasn't there, then it could be down to packageing. If as you say it was packaged very well the it must be from his end.
Do you have any pictures from just before you sent them or when they were near perfect condition? If so I would go back to the bloke and say I have proof of the condition they were in and you will send them to Ebay so its fair on both of you.
Tell Ebay what's going on and explain that they were in better condition than what he says they are. Its a 50/50 chance it will or wont go your way :(
Also may be see if fedex will back you up on the condition of the package.

Failing all that tell the buyer you will buy him a paint pen to do the chip :eyebrows: lol

If sent Fedex he would have had to sign for the parcel, and he wouldn't have done so if the packaging was damaged, foreign scam artist.

Personally, I won't send anything off the UK mainland, and that includes the Isle of Wight !

I've been told that the box was in tact, no damage to it, but the brakes clearly have marks to them despite each item being individually wrapped in large bubblewrap and copious amounts of parcel tape...so clearly something is going on

If the box was intact and the damage wasn't there, then it could be down to packageing. If as you say it was packaged very well the it must be from his end.
Do you have any pictures from just before you sent them or when they were near perfect condition? If so I would go back to the bloke and say I have proof of the condition they were in and you will send them to Ebay so its fair on both of you.
Tell Ebay what's going on and explain that they were in better condition than what he says they are. Its a 50/50 chance it will or wont go your way :(
Also may be see if fedex will back you up on the condition of the package.

Failing all that tell the buyer you will buy him a paint pen to do the chip :eyebrows: lol

I have pics from about 6 weeks before when i 1st stuck them on eBay. I've spoken with "parcel2go" who i arranged the delivery with, and they said that Fedex will have to refund me the postage amount after seeing the pics

So to save myself hassle, i've told the guy on eBay that i'll refund the postage as long as they give me positive feedback for sorting this out, despite it not being my fault, and i'll persue the claim through P2G

Cheers for the help people :) just ****** me off when someone on eBay gets arsey over something that clearly isn't your own fault....

Lol, its only half hour on a ferry!