Earth strap

Just got round to looking at this and I'm struggling to see where they mean in tue guide when they say "ground point on the tranny"! I'm assuming the yanks mean transmission box when they say tranny? Anyone got a clearer photo?

There is the main earth from the chassis to the engine which is bolted to the forward top bolt of the gearbox where ot bolts to the block...

Tbh I think the 3 points Wak uses are enough and all I will be doing initially :)

<tuffty/>

Worth noting, ive just bought a full earthing kit already soldered and ready to fit as part of a group buy over on the tt forum, comes already soldered etc, with postage itll be just over £40 and its in a nice red too :). Ill report back when i get it and fit it.

£40! How's your ****! Mine cost £15 all in.

Cheers tuffty.

So far I've goe from drivers side wing to inlet mani, to rocker cover, to battery negative, finally to passenger wing.

Paid £3.99 for 5m 8AWG cable, £4.75 for some convoluted sleeving and £3.76 for 8 x gold terminals...

£40 my ****! :D

<tuffty/>

Nice and cosy mate thanks haha.

Yeah but its only £40, saves me having to cut, solder etc, plug and play kit :).

Dan... more money than sence springs to mind lol

I cant help it, thats why i stroll the streets at night, lmfao :).

£40! How's your ****! Mine cost £15 all in.

Cheers tuffty.

So far I've goe from drivers side wing to inlet mani, to rocker cover, to battery negative, finally to passenger wing.

Ouch what a :asskicking: well just to rub it in Im a sparky and I got mine for free :p black too

Chris.

Well, quite a surprising little mod!

Cold idle this morning was a lot smoother and so was part throttle when in traffic. I still want to do the 2 straps to the gearbox when I get time just to cover all bases.

Time to bring this thread back to life... years later haha! Is this mod really worth doing? And can something provide a list of everything i need and need to do? Im usless with things like this!

@Westy did you end up doing more earthing points?

Reactions: silestanix
Thanks tuffty! I may aswell give this a go aswell! Im guessing theres no need to do as many as wak did?

Aman
I didn't tbh... whole point is to improve the earth paths to key parts of the engine... I have run mine for some time... difficult to say if its made a difference or not but in principle it ticks the every little helps box...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AmanDosangh and silestanix
I'll also give this a try, mine is a rarity being a 1.8T Automatic so it shosho make a marked difference. Certainly did on my Mercedes before this audi.

So I went ahead and done this earlier this morning (it was quite cold!), I used pre-crimped earth cables from halfords as I'd won £40 vouchers from work so why not use them! They're also 8awg.

For my A3 I did Throttle body lower mount screw to centre point which in this case is as Tufftys guide, the point where the engine hoist hook is mounted, it's an Allen bolt.

The rest were from coil pack earth to centre point, auto gearbox to centre point, centre point to battery negative and finally chassis to battery negative using the passenger wing mounting point.

Did it make a difference?

Definitely. The car revs are a Lot more stable on cold start up, like rock solid at each rpm pretty much. The throttle is more responsive, Idle is now smooth as my Mercedes, sticking at 700-705 now, was not ranging from 695-710, and also as an unexpected side effect, the headlights are brighter and the auto gearbox changes have also smoothed out.

Worth whole mod tbh, and only cost me £21 which in my case was paid for by work lol.

Thank you @<tuffty/> and the original post owner too. I'll upload pics of mine in a bit.

Reactions: AmanDosangh, warren9022, Alex C and 2 others
Centre point (I guess you could call it a distribution point)

DSC 9561 1376x774

Coil pack earth
Tmp 21833 DSC 9562 1376x7744344614696274238740

Gearbox earth
Tmp 21833 DSC 9565 1376x7747091914915322684389

Battery earth
Tmp 21833 DSC 9563 1376x7748919938936234496818

Forgot to take pics of the chassis and throttle body earth and its quite cold so not gonna take pics now lol.

Reactions: Alex C, AmanDosangh, hydro s3 and 2 others
I didn't tbh... whole point is to improve the earth paths to key parts of the engine... I have run mine for some time... difficult to say if its made a difference or not but in principle it ticks the every little helps box...

<tuffty/>
Merry Christmas! And sorry to bother you mate! But how much cable did you buy to do this? Im slowly getting everything together!
Thanks

Merry Christmas! And sorry to bother you mate! But how much cable did you buy to do this? Im slowly getting everything together!
Thanks
It was 6 years ago lol... I have no idea :D

All I did was measure from the battery to the initial point on the head taking into account where I would run the cable... Then measured from there the the cam cover and tb mount points.. Added a bit for luck and ordered that... Don't recall exactly what I ordered though... Soz

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AmanDosangh

All I did was measure from the battery to the initial point on the head taking into account where I would run the cable... Then measured from there the the cam cover and tb mount points.. Added a bit for luck and ordered that... Don't recall exactly what I ordered though... Soz

<tuffty/>

Hahaha! After i asked i thought **** this thread was from 2011!

I've just ordered all the bits to do it and it came to £14, that was for the cable, connectors and conduit. That's 2 metres of cable which I think should be enough for what I want to do.

I've just ordered all the bits to do it and it came to £14, that was for the cable, connectors and conduit. That's 2 metres of cable which I think should be enough for what I want to do.

Do you have any links or pictures of what youve ordered please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 metres of:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Fl...var=521955320724&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 metres of:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible...var=562036293840&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've already got some heat shrink to insulate the connectors....

Don't quote me on any of the above though, I haven't fitted it yet so not 100% sure it's all going to be ok :grimacing:

Haha thats okay! I have some cable and heat shrink saved in my basket i just didnt know what size connectors i need !

Reactions: warren9022
Lol damn those internet rumours, I've just bought 3 new earth straps to copy you guys.

<tuffty/>

Hey Tuffty can this same cable be used as an earth strap for the haldex? As i need to change that too haha

I used one, but I'm taking the decent one off to use in the engine bay and will use a flat old fashioned one, I also want to make sure it works okay by testing with a meter, as my Traction Control kicks in on tight corners.

Yeah me too, negative battery leads of varying length.
Not sure how much of the improvement will be in my head.