Early A3 170 CR - CBBB Engine Code - Oil Pump Drive Shaft

Craigy1D

Reaction score
Hi All,

There's been some noise over on the Briskoda forum that some of the early VAG CR engines used the 77mm hexagonal oil pump drive shaft that was fitted to some of the PD engines and prone to rounding off, resulting in lack of oil circulation and overheating and subsequent seizure of Turbo / Engine.

Later CR engines were manufactured with a 100mm oil pump drive shaft and had a different engine code and weren't affected. I'm looking at a a car with an early 170 CR engine (58 plate) with an engine code of CBBB, but this uses the ill fated 77mm drive shaft fitted which is prone to being rounded off.

Just wondered if anyone on here has heard of any similar issues with the early CR engines?

Cheers,
Craig

Last edited:
From the comments on there thats the way it looks. There's a gradual drop in oil pressure as the hex shaft wears until eventually it loses all oil pressure and its often new engine and turbo time!

Sorry to bring up an old post. I just noticed something about this in a much newer post and I'm fairly sure I noticed this code when I was looking through my service book the other day.

I have a 59 plate 2.0TDI (170) which from my initial research seems to fit in with the timeframes of this issue. Is this is a common an issue and does it build up to it or suddenly hit you out of nowhere? Just wondering if this is something I need to look out for?

I ask because I got hit with the conrod issue surrounding BXE engines on my old 1.9TDI PD Golf which led me to getting this car and don't really want to be taken by surprise again.