Eagle F1s - Conti 5s or Sportmax?

Kiwi79

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I tried search but couldn't find a definitive tyre thread. What is the current pick of the crop for the S3 sportback.

I keep finding different variants of the above, for example Eagles F1 assymetric 2s are listed as
225/40 R18 92Y XL with rim protection (MFS) or without the protection but then they have different scores for road noise/efficiency?

Sport Conti 5s with and without kerbing rib - for AO - Audi original or without?
Sportmaxx RT or TT

Thoroughly confused so any recommendations appreciated!

Michelin Supersport.

Reactions: Blackwhite and S3_Mat
Thanks for the suggestion S3Alex, I checked them out, but the Michelin look on the expensive side, the Conti sport contacts 5s more affordable although they seem to offer multiple version:

Do I go for AO, Audi original or the regular Sport Contact 5s?

AO Sport Contacts seem to have a wet weather rating of B, whilst the regular non AO have a rating of A, same for mileage and noise. Could it be that Audi added maybe a harder compound in for their AO to get more miles at the expense of wet weather grip?

I have Eagle F1s all round on my 3.2 Quattro, best tyres so far i had Continental Sport Contact3 before these but i found them terrible in the wet even with Quattro

Reactions: Jake 61
Thanks Dave, Eagles were my 2nd choice but seem less confusing to chose than sport contacts! Glad you liked them. Had some on my old 200bhp front drive Saab so might be tempted that way

Do you Change your tyres for winter or are the super sports ok in winter?

Better than R888's....LOL

Seriously though,they're fine in winter.

Good dry grip,also good in the wet,nicely progressive,and won't just fall away from you like the original RE050's did.

Reactions: Smirky
Just noticed there listed as summer tyres ,be a while till mine need changing currently running conti sport 5s

I've had the Eagles and can only complain about wear, I've now got GY efficient grip performance an am well pleased same as the F1's basically only grumble is I've had them 6 week I've hit a pot hole an its split an egged my rear near side so gotta folk out another £102 tomorrow. Gutted

I've had the Eagles and can only complain about wear, I've now got GY efficient grip performance an am well pleased same as the F1's basically only grumble is I've had them 6 week I've hit a pot hole an its split an egged my rear near side so gotta folk out another £102 tomorrow. Gutted
I'd be taking photos of said pot hole and tyre and try and claim it off the council

Reactions: S3 AEX
First thing in morning m8, tape measure at the ready!!

I didn't realise we were lacking in tyre threads lol

Next up what engine oil...kidding just tyres for now :grinning: and it seems no-one is truly sure of the difference between the AO and the regular sport contacts, even tried Pistonheads ha ha might just get the regular ones there's a £2 difference in it. Weirdly you would think the Audi specific ones would be more expensive but not so

im just fitted a full 4 of sportmax RT's, i cant comment too much about them, but they are quiet, which is nice and they do hold very well.

I would love to buy the F1's but they wear down SOO FAST, on my old focus i nearly wore 2 down within 6 months! Hard driving yes, but cant afford that everytime.

Plus the sportsmax's look REALLY COOL, the tread pattern looks soo fat and awesome and they have this rim protection whatever that crap is about lol.

Camskill got thw 225's for like £70 and the 235's for £95 ish.

I recently fitted Michelin PS3. 235.40.18
Best all-rounder I've found so far (for me). Helped reduce understeer a bit as well..
Had them on an R32 also and gave the best from a few brands I tried on that.

Next up what engine oil...kidding just tyres for now :grinning: and it seems no-one is truly sure of the difference between the AO and the regular sport contacts, even tried Pistonheads ha ha might just get the regular ones there's a £2 difference in it. Weirdly you would think the Audi specific ones would be more expensive but not so

I was only joking buddy.

If you'd like my cynical view then it's probably just a marketing ploy, maybe Audi makes a few pennies for every AO tyre sold, by recommending the AO version in dealerships and in it's marketing literature?

I will never, ever believe that Audi could make such a loose and sloppy chassis (in the 8P A3) and then have the b0ll0cks to tell us to buy AO tyres, or even claim they've made AO tyres that work 'better' with it than the non-AO version.

If it was a RS6 or something then maybe, but it isn't...

I've tried a few and all round my favorite are Dunlop sport maxx rt

Gonna give the supesports a bash next see how long they last then make a decesion based on that

Reactions: S3Alex
Gonna give the supesports a bash next see how long they last then make a decesion based on that

They'll last pretty well compared to most.

I'm pleased with them.

Long as I get a year so between 6-8k miles ?

I'd think that's going to be pretty easy.

Mine don't have an easy life,and are still going strong after a year.

I would imagine with that much hp and torque they go through torture:)

Reactions: S3Alex
Put this way,I've found their dry road limits now.

I can get the TC active on a dry road in 4th but the new ECU is so good at controlling torque it's almost unnoticeable.
They are very good all round tyres.

I'll be trying the Cup 2s soon.

I still have 3/4mm on my SuperSports and I've done about 10000 miles and a track day on them. They are a good fast road tire but I wasn't massively impressed with them on track mind. Fine in winter too.

Reactions: Smirky and S3Alex
Went for Eagles in the end as they could only get the Mercedes version of the Conti s for next day. Had hunter 4 wheel alignment too. Car seems very nice so far