E5 And E10 Fuel

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
1997 Audi A4 1.8t AEB Engine...
Not been on here for a while so please excuse me if this topic as been covered..
The Government is changing the Fuel from so-called E5 to E10 ..I have looked at the consequences of using E10..
I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to use the higher octane Super unleaded available at most pumps or be it at an increase price..
What are you guy's planing to use in your engines after the time limit of Sep 2021 when E10 will be on sale..

Reactions: dsouzatoby
I’ll be using E10.
There is a compatibility checker and this is what it says for Audi's.

Audi​

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Audi petrol driven vehicles, excluding the following vehicles:
  • First generation direct injection engines:
  • Audi A2 1.6 FSI, model years 2003-2005
  • Audi A3 1.6 FSI, model year 2004
  • Audi A3 2.0 FSI, model year 2004
  • Audi A4 2.0 FSI, model years 2003-2004
  • Audi A4 Saloon petrol engine models with OEM parking heater, of model years 2001-2008.
  • Audi A4 Avant petrol engine models with OEM parking heater of model years 2002- 2008.

Until 2025 I'll be using v-power (E5) after that we will see what happens.

If you google E10 fuel you will find certain sites saying irrespective of what the manufacturers say namely Audi in our case reporting that the E10 fuel will attack certain parts of the engine i.e. Hoses.. Gaskets.. Pumps.. and the like..

Would not be the first time Manufacturers have told us porkies about their cars(engines)...
Might be worth putting in the Super fuel E5 just to be sure..

p.s.. VW AUDI track record with emissions comes to mind when it was reported they were way off the mark than they should have been worldwide costing them Billions.

Last edited:
I’m inclined to agree - I’m really not clued up on the topic but I would certainly be reluctant to use E10 in an older motor if there’s even an ounce of truth in that, last thing 20 year old hoses, gaskets etc need!

At the recommendation of MRC i’ve been using Tesco Momentum exclusively in my S4 since it was mapped. Am I right in saying there will be no change to this fuel and I’ll be fine to continue using it?

I think your safe for the next 5 years, as performance fuels will stay on 5%. There is also talk of "E5 protection grade" which will be available from some petrol station, but how long that will last is unknown. For my B5 I'm not that worried about the E10 fuel, as last year I replaced all the fuel hose's, seal's, pump and injectors. So I'm hopping all the new parts fitted have been made with the latest material specification, so should be compatible with with the E10 fuel. I think the problems will appear for older cars. All the hoses and seals on my 1996 A4 were shot, the hoses were starting to crack and had gone rock hard, and the seal for the fuel tank where the pump is fitted has started to melt away. If I had cucked E10 in that car and ran it I'm sure would have finished it off.

I don't think is as bad as the leaded v unleaded fuel but I think it's going to take a few of the older cars off the road as they will be uneconomical to repair.

I'm also going to look into " corrosion inhibitors" as I won't be running my B5 over the winter months.

Reactions: S4 Muzza
  • Audi A4 Saloon petrol engine models with OEM parking heater, of model years 2001-2008.
  • Does anyone know what exactly the OEM parking heater is ? I have a 2001 A4 1.8T quattro (petrol).

The parking heater was an OEM option in some countries (not available as an option on the UK on the B5 model) You could get a timer and it would warm the engine coolant and the cabin very useful when the temperature drops well below freezing. For me the 2001-2008 models would be the B6/B7 models not the very late B5.

The parking heater was an OEM option in some countries (not available as an option on the UK on the B5 model) You could get a timer and it would warm the engine coolant and the cabin very useful when the temperature drops well below freezing. For me the 2001-2008 models would be the B6/B7 models not the very late B5.
I think mine is the B6.

You could be Ok, however if your car is a 2001 B6 model then your looking at 20 year old fuel lines, so don't be too surprised if you get leaks a few months after using E10. It could be fine but something to keep an eye on.

You could be Ok, however if your car is a 2001 B6 model then your looking at 20 year old fuel lines, so don't be too surprised if you get leaks a few months after using E10. It could be fine but something to keep an eye on.
I will probably use the Shell V Power

I’ll be using E10.
There is a compatibility checker and this is what it says for Audi's.

Audi​

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Audi petrol driven vehicles, excluding the following vehicles:
  • First generation direct injection engines:
  • Audi A2 1.6 FSI, model years 2003-2005
  • Audi A3 1.6 FSI, model year 2004
  • Audi A3 2.0 FSI, model year 2004
  • Audi A4 2.0 FSI, model years 2003-2004
  • Audi A4 Avant petrol engine models with OEM parking heater of model years 2002- 2008.
Hello sorry i have a audi a4 cabriolet convertible 2007 1.8 turbo ok i got it at 81000 miles i have now done 100000 miles when using e5 my fule cost and miles was £70 to fill up and i got 565 miles oit her now the e10 cost me £90 to fill up and miles are 345 can someone explain that to me plz cuz since using the e10 i have blown 3 new ignition coils and 2 old ignition coils and i have an injection leak now and other things happening to the car since using this e10 to to me the e10 is not good to use it cost me nealy £200 a week to drive to work and deliver pizzas for my 2nd job thats not right i use to get more milage and car did not break so much but now it is so my opinion using supreme unleaded and redx is vetter to use and maybe changing the air intake and replacing all spark plugs and ignition coils and making sue the injectors are working 100% and seals are good

I doubt E10 would cause all those issues but if you’re sure it’s the fuel just switch to a premium fuel, momentum, v power, ultimate etc. Problem solved.