E46 m3 opinions

Goubo1

Reaction score
Has anyone owned or run a e46 m3 for a while ?? I’m seriously considering getting one soon and the prices of them are increasing now and always liked them....would be using it as a daily so I could use my s3 more as a toy at weekends and such

Any input much appreciated

Rear subframe bushes...

CSL if you can afford it .

Yeah I’ve been told about the rear subframe cracking and only buy one that’s been reinforced....

Csl is way out my league would be great to buy one and garage it as the prices are rocketing up on them

I think the e46 M3 is the best looking M3 made. I would get one as a weekend car and use the S3 as your daily. I have read recently that CSL prices are dropping a bit now after the mad rise they have seen over the last several years. Getting one at the right mileage and price wouldn’t be easy though!!

Had one (‘05) for 3 years before my current A4. Loved it. Not sure I totally regret the sale, but I was getting concerned by the random bills and that they corrode quickly in a number of well known areas if you don’t have a garage to keep it in. I was looking around £2000 in bodywork to have it brought back to mint so decided enough was enough.

My opinion of the subframe (rear axle carrier panel)... check it... thoroughly. But if it’s not cracked and not reinforced and a post-2004 car, just keep an eye on it and be prepared to have it done. It’s not expensive. ETA do it for about £800. It costs near that much to replace the clutch. Or the discs and pads. So no biggie.

Drive both an SMG and a manual. The SMG is a lot of fun and again, not expensive to repair these days (mostly!) and the manual has a very heavy clutch and a notchy gear change when cold.

Listen for noisy Vanos, they rattle when revved up to about 3k. Some rattle is normal in the design, but a lot and you’re looking at a Vanos rebuild.

If I had a garage and a deep pocket, I’d buy a good one again for a weekend toy. Hard to find good ones and that’s why the prices are getting so high. Good luck with the search!

Why did they need such a thick engine oil 10W60 , IIRC ?

Probably something to do with a combination of the fixed-valve lifters (no hydraulics), the Vanos operating off oil pressure and the high-revving nature of the engine (8,200 redline). All just thoughts, don’t know for sure :)

I think the e46 M3 is the best looking M3 made. I would get one as a weekend car and use the S3 as your daily. I have read recently that CSL prices are dropping a bit now after the mad rise they have seen over the last several years. Getting one at the right mileage and price wouldn’t be easy though!!

Not when his s3 is over 600 bhp not many better toys than that

As said above already. The S54 engine is fairly bullet-proof. The problem areas are the vanos and the rear sub-frame breaking away from the underbody - not such a common problem on the convertibles which have additional underbody strengthening